Keeping my temper so ranting here - sorry!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I know worse things happen at sea but I am sick of having to listen to MIL treating OH as tho he is a 10 year old! She's back in hospital giving her orders from her bed - believe me before you judge me, if you knew what she was like this would not sound so harsh! OH has been under a lot of pressure and his Ulcerative Colitis has flared up - nowt new- he just has to rest and wait it out. He is on long term meds for it but sometimes it still flares up. Stress is a major factor. Anyway she is currently bossing us about demanding we send texts and emails to all and sundry to keep "everyone in the picture" and now SIL is starting to chuck her orders about from across the water...... Really annoys me to see him running around when he should be resting. Not like she doesn't have any other visitors!! We were due to go tonight but awkward aunt has said she wants to go and we are to go NOW! Well, tough titty cos its not going to happen - OH is as weak as a kitten and is in bed. He was going to get up later - he seems better late afternoon. I hate being told what to do and am sick of her dictating to us. Sorry for ranting but I have nobody else to tell!!!

Oh and now she's starting on her bullying campaign to make him go back to the doctors - I have tried and tried to tell her that there isnothing more can be done and that he is on the right meds etc but she thinks if she keeps on nagging he will go back and receive a miracle cure!!!

erghhh !!! Sounds a nightmare, and would frustrate me to.

I'm glad I dont have a MIL to contend with, but going back a few years with a long term partner his mother was a nightmare ! She had 3 'boy's' who were all baby boys still ( my partner was 40!)

One incident in particular she had a go and went all sniffy at me ( in my own house!) because my partner aged 42 by this point had to make his own sandwiches and flask for work. We had a slight disagreement and she went and made them herself for him!!! ( I also worked full time!)

I was so angry !!!

Thanks for listening guys!!!
Gimp - she sounds similar to my MIL - only last week before she went into hospital she was threatening to bring meals to our house because she knows "I can't cope and don't like cooking "!!! God forbid that her son cooks and actually ENJOYs doing it!

Eml - yeah she would flatten the neighbour I'm sure!!! If my lottery numbers come up I'll offer her the house just so she can annoy Rumple! Hahaaa.

lol @ the cooking meals !

Have you ever watched 'everybody loves raymond' the MIL in that is very comparable!

Oh poor Mrs T - I do feel sorry.

Hospital visit not a terminal visit then?!

She sounds an absolute nightmare and the worst type of mother in law. I so hope I never end up being like her!!

Oh poor Mrs T - I do feel sorry.

Hospital visit not a terminal visit then?!

She sounds an absolute nightmare and the worst type of mother in law. I so hope I never end up being like her!!

I am sure you won't end up like her, you've too much life of your own with your horse riding etc! MIL's problem is she has no hobbies:unsure:

OH's stepmother is like cruella da ville, only amplified.

She is the meanest, most horrible woman I have ever met, was thoroughly spoiled by OH's father and the most she has ever achieved in her life is running people down and indulging in her three great loves in life, horses, gardening and dogs.

She has made OH's life an absolute nightmare since she arrived when he was 15, and hasn't changed in 40 years.

So, I kind of know where you are coming from. I had thought that perhaps I could bridge the divide being horsey myself, however, I gave that up many years ago as she is possibly the nastiest person I have ever met!!!!

Thank the gods that my MIL is as indepdent minded as OH and only speak to each other on the phone once a month,

That's the trouble with MIL - she wants to "share" every last minute detail with her son!!!! Its made worse as her daughter lives so far away. She needs a hobby or two! She took early retirement which did not help.

Couldn't you find her something to do to keep her occupied? Maybe your OH could suggest that he really needs a home made hat or scarf or something that she could work on and feel like she is being useful. It sounds a nightmare.

My MIL is OK but she has a habit of really spoiling my children which annoys me. At her last visit she came with a laptop for my eldest son (who is 6). I said that I would keep it for Christmas because that is a huge present to give a small child for no reason, but she couldn't see my point. She gives my 3 year old £20 notes and tells him not to tell me! What is a 3 year old going to do with a £20 note (apart from rip it up!!) and doesn't she think that I will notice if he suddenly tried to buy something in a shop with it.

Couldn't you find her something to do to keep her occupied? Maybe your OH could suggest that he really needs a home made hat or scarf or something that she could work on and feel like she is being useful. It sounds a nightmare.

My MIL is OK but she has a habit of really spoiling my children which annoys me. At her last visit she came with a laptop for my eldest son (who is 6). I said that I would keep it for Christmas because that is a huge present to give a small child for no reason, but she couldn't see my point. She gives my 3 year old £20 notes and tells him not to tell me! What is a 3 year old going to do with a £20 note (apart from rip it up!!) and doesn't she think that I will notice if he suddenly tried to buy something in a shop with it.

At least my father would ask me if it was okay to give the boy some money or buy him something. I think the relationship between a grand child and grandparent is totally different from parent to child....a bit of spoiling from, GPs is not as bad as being spoilt directly by the parent...but I say "a bit"

I'm lucky - my MIL is lovely, never tries to interfere or anything like that.

My mother though... that's another story... :banghead:

Friends you can choose! afraid relatives, you are stuck with!

newrider.com