Keeping knee bandages on - tips

TiggerthePony

Jan 8, 2008
Devon
A friend’s horse fell on it’s knees and they need bandaging but the bandages are not staying up! Has any one got any tips

(this is actually a friend of a friend’s horse so I know no further details just been asked if I have any ideas which I don’t so though I’d ask you guys!!!)

what bandages are they using (vetwrap i guess, cos its sticky)

are they going over the top of the knee, then the actual knee and the canon aswell, or just focussing on the knee joint?

has the vet shown them how to bandage it?

Personally I wouldn't bandage unless the horses movement would be restricted, I would get some largeish would dressings (you can get them in boots) must be big enough to cover the injury, then use duct tape above and below the joint to hold it in place (think of making a knee boot out of duct tape and dressing), it must not be tight, just slightly snug, it won't stretch so you must be very careful there, but becaue it won't stretch it won't slip down over the joint either and will hold the dressing in place :D

I did what Jessey suggested, last time I needed to cover a knee only I used electrical tape because it does have a small amount of give in it so less chance of it constricting. It also is sticky enough to hold to the hair at the back of the leg (where there is no dressing) which helps hold things 'up' but it peels off without removing the hair. Duct tape pulls out the hair!
I also put a knee boot over the top to stop the dressing getting soiled (mines out 24/7)

Thanks. I asked the question the reply was below, remember this is a me asking a friend who has a friend with horse at her yard who has the problem LOL!!!

Vetwrap going over the knee and think she tried up and down too but they still roll down! Think nappies are better for hocks but she might have tried. Will ask.. lol just had an imagine of the tights uncut and her hobbling around the stable! She’s turned her out now in an electric fence bit as she was making such a fuss on her own inside.

also depends on the type of wound involved. if it is scratches and a surface shallw wound it is probally best not to bandage ? just clean throughly and let it heal, keep wound moist with some healing gel ?

Friends horse had a deepish puncture wound this summer which vet saw too and said to cover but clean each day-he didnt suggest how to cover thought. We had wound dressing covered with vet wrap wound round the leg a bit above and below too, then duct/electrical taped the bottom and top. He only kept it on for half a day or so and then we saw him looning without it, but it works for a while.

Knee dressing

We had a horse with a really bad knee wound from a kick that needed to be dressed for ages and the vet gave us a pressage boot- im not sure if thats how you spell it! ask your vet. It is a tight but giving material that zips up and has holes in it for the bony bits at the back of the knee that will get sore if you bandage over. Or try a suitable size tubi grip bandage- be sure to cut out holes for the bony bits. Hold it up with elasticated sticky plaster bandage- also available from the vets. Both of there are not dressings they are just to hold the dressings up. Would recommend some sort of adhesive type dressing- and softban as padding.

newrider.com