Keeping feathers out of the way

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Arghh! The trimmer is coming tomorrow and Sid's feathers are getting really long. Any suggestions for how I can keep them out of Trevor's way?

Old pair of socks, cut the toe off and pull them up over his hoof to pull and hold the feathers out of the way, that's what my friend does with her heavily feathered cob. And try to make sure the feathers are dry!

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Yep or an old pair of tights. Cut the toe off etc.
My farriers have never been bothered by the feather to be honest. The best thing is to have them clean and preferably dry. Having them clean goes a long way.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
I may have to improvise with socks or Vetwrap tomorrow. Unfortunately as he is out 24/7 there's no way I can get them clean and dry, but I'll brush them beforehand to get the sand off!

Knee-sized tubular bandage from Boots. My farrier always has one on his hoof stand so he just pulls it up for any feathered beastie.

Well, I'm afraid Tom the hairy cob is going to get feathers and made hogged....as soon as I get my clippers back from the repair shop!......that's the idel man's way of keeping them out the way. ;)

newrider.com