Keeping condition on during a move?

Nimbus65

Aug 15, 2005
As you know, we're moving Kal to a new yard early next week. Where he is now he gets:

ad lib/unlimited haylage
1/2 scoop bog-standard horse and pony mix (I think it's Scats' own brand) (2xday)
1/2 scoop mollichaff original (2xday)
1/4 scoop Top Line (Bailey's No 4) (2xday)
1 scoop Pink Powder (2xday)
turnout (lush grass) 7.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.

He seems to drop condition quite quickly/isn't a particularly good do'er.

The grazing at the new yard isn't as good (grass isn't as lush/plentiful), and he'll be on hay rather than haylage. I've ordered him a slightly richer (non-heating) mix (Spillers Meadow Herb) and he'll stay on the mollichaf, top line and pink powder. Question is, should I up his hard feed to compensate for the poorer grazing and reduction of calories from not getting haylage, or will the fact that he'll be out 24x7 (in the summer - they come in at night in the winter) make up the difference?

He is currently worked most days (lunging, schooling and/or hacking), and I don't expect his workload to change much in the next month or so.

Thanks in advance . . .

N

I would personally wait and see how it goes when you move - it can go three ways - he drops, stays the same or puts it on - and a lot of this will be based on how he settles and gets on with the other horses - its generally easier to put on than get off - particularily with the spring grass coming through as puts at risk for sore feeties

As Popularfurball, I too would wait and see how he gets on after the move. I would say if he is out 24/7 he is more likely to hold his weight better anyway.

The other thing I would do personally is to either drop the mix and slightly increase the Baileys or drop the Baileys and increase the mix. Cubes and mix are pretty much the same except you are feeding a cube with higher protein and digestable energy and a mix with lower quantities, therefore better to increase one and drop the other depending how his condition :)

Hope the move goes smoothly :cool:

Thanks guys . . . alot to think about. As I said, he's not a particularly good do-er . . . which is why I'm fretting . . . but I think we'll wait and see how he does. If he needs further supplements b/c he's dropping weight (and I have a weight tape) then I can always up what we give him.

God love him . . . he was left in the field by himself today for over an hour (don't ask) and cantered/trotted up and down the fence line and managed to poo all down his back legs . . . not good for his caloric intake . . . not good at all. He was also turned out in a rug . . . so was very sweaty.

Like I said, not a good do'er. Stresses and weight falls off. Can't wait to move.

N

Another possible solution might be adding oil to his ration - introduce it in teeny amounts now so he gets used to over the week and then you might find you dont have to change his current feed ration or add more hard feed

You dont need to add huge amounts as fats/oils are so energy dense but it's a great way to add extra condition without fizz x

newrider.com