KD and Baldy - their rehab

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Decided I will start a blog to chart the progress of my 2 little donkeys - from arrival until departure sometime later this summer. Brief background - brown boy off to new home in England with Brother later this summer, Baldy sort of turned up with him so decision to be made later - do I keep him or rehome him when KD goes? We shall see.

Well the boys arrived yesterday afternoon, huddled in the corner of the trailer, terrified, bedraggled, lice and worm ridden. Didnt look too bad from a distance due to hairy donkey coats but on closer inspection, all belly and bones!:mad:

Friend (J)held them - or rather pinned them - into a corner whilst I wormed them - error number 1 - twiddled the wormer down to half way - didnt lock it and inadvertently gave KD the whole syringe. So he'll probably be dead by morning then.:rolleyes: Managed to give Baldy only half a syringe - but J informed me the farmer had dosed Baldy with the cow spot on for lice - so I guess he will probably also be dead by morning.

J has a considerably less fluffy bunny attitude to rescues than me - blithely announced that if they are dead by morning we shall just go and get 2 more!:eek:

In my panic and fretting about OD'ing the boys I didnt remember to put headcollars on before we sheperded them into the paddock. Error number 2, donks have been in a pen all winter with just silage to eat - my paddock is full of grass - will not be able to get near them for days will I?

There goes my plan anytime within the near future for more lice bashing, checking for their danglies to see if they have dropped ready for castration :eek:

Dragged my rickety old garden chair into the middle of the paddock, feed bucket beside me and spent an hour or so enjoying the sunshine whilst the donkeys ignored me completely, apart from flicking the odd wary eyeball in my direction from time to time. Why would they want my crummy old feed when they are up to their skinny little hocks in grass?

Of course if they are still alive tomorrow morning I expect they will have chronic lammi - had intended to only give them free grass in small doses - but due to the lack of head collars issue that plan is also scuppered:mad:

Must make note to self - I am totally incompetent these days of rescueing and rehabilitating a budgie let alone something as needy as a donkey:eek:

The boys who are unfortunate enough to find themselves under my care:rolleyes:

KDandBaldy020.jpg

Shall report in later to announce either their untimely death or miraculous survival.

Saturday morning:

Well they are still alive - watched them like a hawk through the kitchen window for signs of lammi - did I detect a little 'footines' in KD as they rested in the early morning sunshine?:eek: OMG what have I done??? Ventured out in PJ's and wellys - on spotting me they trotted off to put as much distance between me and them as possible.

Both sound - BUT - little Wilfred (re-christened overnight thanks to NR members input!) has a VERY un donkey like action. Moves more with the gait and action of a little show pony. OH commented last night that his head and face shape look more like a minature horse - did I think he is actually a donkey or a cross breed- laughed in ridicule at his fanciful suggestion.:p

Hmmm......walk towards them again to encourage Wilf to do a little trot around - this little scruff bag does NOT trot like a donkey - shall try and get a short video clip later to get your opinions? Have I been lumbered with a little mule - or even more unlikely a Hinny(sp)?

After walking the dogs and checking the rest of the herd decided to try and approach them again with the feed bucket. Within minutes they have their heads snuffled in and munching. But timid little Wilf backs off if I so much as wiggle a finger whilst holding the bucket. KD is much more food orientated and once munching he is oblivious to me holding the food source for him.

Think KD might be the first one to get a head collar on - but wont try for a bit until they are happily accepting me standing around them etc. Needs to be done sooner rather than later though. Sure I can actually see little creepy crawlies in KD's coat - and poor Wilf has some very sore looking bits along his spine and neck where his coat is gone:mad:

Still - even if it takes a while to start treating them for all their ailments I guess they are already better off than they were 2 days ago in their old home?:)

You might find the bonding process more interesting with these two:p.. I could get a headcollar on my youngster for 3 weeks, and he was stabled, but believe me, spending time just sitting with them is so rewarding;) Watching the change in their eyes, as they learn your their provider of food, and will never hurt them, will be the biggest trust gainer by far;)
Enjoy your new little donkeys, looking forward to how you progress with them:)

I loved reading this, please try to keep it up as I cant wait to keep up to date with their progress! glad both donks survived the night lol

Have more faith in yourself - you're doing great.

Wilfred and KD are very lucky donks, glad they made it through the night - sounds like the only thing you may end up guilty of is caring too much! I'm subscribing, glad you've started a diary Cortrasna, I always love reading your posts, you write so eloquently and with heart.:eek::)

thanks all :D On we go:

Sunday. Well seems to be a more settled little pair of refugees today. Had remarked to OH that I will feel happier when I see them playing together - sign they feel better both physically and mentally. Joseph and Bertie are always having fun together. Want my little ones to be just as happy and playful. Just at that moment son shouts down the stairs to hurry and look out of the kitchen window.

Oh joy of joys!!! there is little Wilf hareing around at a flat out gallop - skinny little bald neck stuck out like a ship's figurehead - gurning like mad and even attempting the odd little muffled ee-aw as he swept past KD kicking out and farting in the little brown boy's face.

KD picks up the gauntlet - fluffs up every long and mankey lice ridden hair on his skeletal body and takes off like a budding young stallion on a mission to repel the cheeky young upstart.

Twenty minutes or so of 'chase me' - alternating between KD chasing and then Wilf taking his turn to chase.......had worried they hadnt been seen drinking from the trough near the house so had put a bucket full further up the field where they probably feel safer- thats no longer a worry.......both squashed their heads into the bucket and gulped away in unision - all coltish rivalry forgotten.

Still wont approach me when I saunter out with some food in the bucket - but are at least standing still until I am just a few feet away and then slowly edge towards me and then snuffle together in the bucket.

Had KD blow in my face this morning - he has a little cough, probably the lung worm he maybe has now clearing after the worming. Blew back at him enthuisiastically until I remembered I was diagnosed last month with COPD (yes I am officially an aged and unsound old mare:rolleyes:) and now wonder have I also got lung worm for my GP to grumble about?:eek: Oh well - donkeys will survive - I probably wont!:(

This afternoon even managed to scratch KD's face as he ate - and even a tiny little tickle on Wilf's forehead before he snorted and leapt away from me. But no worrys - within minutes he was back again and this time he licked and pushed my hand. Oh Goody!!! Now have ring worm also to report at next GP visit:D

Very promising noises issuing from the OH's direction. Told him a friends mother had said she would like Wilfred when KD enmigrates. Why? Well cos we wont need him then will we? Oh just chuck him down the fields when KD goes to England - he can live with us with the rest of the herd - dont suppose he will eat much will he?

Yipppeeeee! Looking good that the little piebald orphan mighteventually be actually joining Bertie and Joseph down with the horses. Silly old OH! Doesnt he see just how much the donks eat size for size??? :eek: They are still noshing hay in the winter long after the horses have had their fill and cleared off! Ssshhh...dont tell him - and promise not to remind him about the farrier, the worming, the new winter rugs etc. etc. ;)

Sons are convinced their only inheritance will be a load of donkeys - but have pointed out shall leave the land for them to live on - but with a caveat that they can never sell it!!! Donks live forever dont they?:D

Off to buy some pretty baby blue head collars tomorrow and maybe some powder blue lead ropes....and oh yes......must have their own grooming kit - cant risk spreading nastiness to the others.....and......

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your updates, I enjoy reading them so much and you write so lovely and you make me laugh and I love your Donks already - seriously though it sounds like they have fallen on their hooves! what lucky lads.

Well cant believe they've been here 3 weeks! Time positively flys by when you are busy being dragged around the field, pinned in a corner by little flying hooves, not to mention the sleepless nights worrying about worms. lice, long feet, have they got their danglies yet or havent they?:eek:

So progress report folks. Within a week or so they would happily let me scratch them whilst they snuffled in the feed bucket, wouldnt go in the stable no matter how wet and windy, not a chance of de liceing - any attempt to sneakily slip a rope over their necks to get a head collar on was thwarted big time. Ran (well shuffled as quick as I am able:rolleyes:) up the field a few times with the rope looped around KD's neck, he noticed how I struggle to run so decided to help me by using all his typical donkey strength to drag me along as rapidly as he was able!

That resulted in a big lecture from OH and son about how I really should NOT be doing this sort of stuff anymore, tears and tantrums from me - mostly because I know they're right but who else is going to sort them out???? Solution, dear friend J (my little Polish super woman) came up and helped us herd them into the stable. She and son pinned them in the corner and somehow managed to get the headcollars on - at last maybe a little control?? Ahem...yes well....

So whilst my strong young helpers hung on for grim death I managed to wipe a good dose of lice stuff over them both - but was pretty shocked just how matted both their coats are - especially KD the long haired boy. Next stage is to get them used to being held whilst I try and de knot them both - that'll be fun wont it??:eek:

Well very slowly they have now submitted to some grooming from me - up until today just a curry comb along their back and sides, and maybe around their neck and foreheads if Im lucky. Feet are shocking, J offers to come and trim them for me - yeah I can just see her managing that. But insisted if son will hold them she will trim them.

Son has by now gone a bit gooey eyed over J - never come across such a capable type I think - just his type and a bonus she is good looking:rolleyes: So, of course, he is more than happy to display his manful strength and help her with the boyyos. Ever the pessimist I just know this is NOT going to work - without sedation there is no way the lads are going to allow this girl with a funny accent to snatch up there feet and hack away at them?

Wrong!!! Little Wilf was first, once he was grabbed and cornered he just gave in - did need a little hand twitch of the ear for his backs but less problem than my evil Bertie who has been having his tootsies done for 10 years!

When my son could tear his eyes away from the sight of J's g string sticking out of her jeans as she clipped and filed he did a great job of assisting!:rolleyes: KD was a little more stroppy - but mainly cos his were pretty awful - one front foot almost twisted -it had overgrown at a side angle with the typical persian slipper effect:mad: We thought he might be a bit lame for a day or two because of this but happy to say he is flying around as sound as a pound!

So - de-licing done - also second worming, feet trimmed.

Today I had them in the stable whilst we tried to get some of the knots out of poor KD - he was a saint for his shoulder and back area (some bald patches were he has been pulling at them himself:mad:) Hoping this habit might stop once I have done the second de-licing next week. Under both their tummys is so knotted with old s**t etc from being encaserated all winter I shall have to use the scissors - no chance today - poor boys were getting really fed up with me tugging and pulling at their coats.

So far only one down side - sigh - think maybe KD has some underlying health problem. Seems to pant very quickly the majority of the time, small dry cough now and then. Eats, drinks and plays fine - but my gut instinct is telling me there is something that needs checking out with this one. Waiting until its cooler next week and if he is still breathing like this shall get the vet to look at him. Could be a lung or heart problem - but shant stress too much until vet lets us know for sure what the problem with him is.

In view of this we have decided that if KD has a permanent health issue we cant possibly let him travel to England to my brothers at the end of the summer. Wouldnt be fair on the little chap and dont want to send my bro an irish crock do i? Soooooo - if this is the case we shall keep him as well as Wilf and get another one from the same ever breeding, ever neglecting source. At least it will be another one saved from an uncertain future - and cant believe OH is not batting an eyelid at the possibilty of both KD and Wilf becoming permanent pasture arnaments along with Bertie, Joseph and Solomon!! The only one who earns his keeps now is JJ!!:D

My son has run off to to the Loch with my camera this last few days (I'm positive him and J are swanning about in the sun out there - she did hint hugely that she would love to come out on his boat and sunbathe in her bikini on the loch!!!:D) so no recent piccys - but shall confiscate it tomorrow and take some more recent ones of the donks. Hope I dont get any embarrassing or naughty shocks when I upload the piccys from the camera!!!!:D

Awh bless, hope KD is ok, so much to do, you sound like you've been mega busy. One thing though, can you stop pretending you're so past it!!
I hope your son doesn't get to read this, shouldn't you alter the title to 'KD and Baldy - their rehab (and the courting of J the polish lady).:D

Well here's a piccy I took today -

theherd22048-1.jpg

More bad news for KD (the brown boy) when trying to cut the knots off him today I discovered that under his belly is one huge mat of thick and gungy fur:mad: - some of the 'mat' has lifted and he is completely bald underneath, I am so, so angry that anyone could let any animal get into this condition. dont think he has been groomed since the day he was born 18 months ago - looks like a mass of foal fur, plus next coat all disguised by long hair that I have now managed to trim back to reveal the full extent of the mess and discomfort this poor donkey is in.:(

Shall try tomorrow with the clippers as too dangerous with the scissors - tis so close to his skin and just cant get in at it. If that doesnt work shall get vet to come and sedate him so we can up end him and do something about it with Tom's help (he's a good old boy and is used to me and my rescues!:eek:)

If you look at his back legs in the piccy you can see orangy tufts sticking out? Well that is also knots of old foal fur - managed to cut the front legs clear but he really did NOT want me with my dodgy eyesight snipping anywhere near the rear end!!!:eek: Boy will he get a shock at what hes in for in the next few months!:eek:

Flipo's Mum - if you could just see me trying to do all this you would agree I am well and truly past it!:D Yes I do agree tis probably a whole other diary coming up on the son and the Polish lassy thing!!;):D would be absolutely delighted to have her in the family as it happens, can trim horses feet , ride anything, and has been very, very kind and helpful to me with JJ and the rescue donkeys. Shant tell them that though - they'd be horrified wouldnt they if they thought I was already planning a wedding!!!:D

Update with vid added!!

:) Actually been managing to persuade KD in particular, that allowing a human near you can actually be quite nice! Wilf happily has a fuss and is very much the more confident and cheeky of the two. KD has been very subdued but with lots of thanks to my OH (AKA the Donkey Whisperer!!!:D) we are now able to get much nearer to KD to pet him without having to pin him in the stable first to get a head collar on him!

Quality not brilliant and please excuse my voice over comments:rolleyes: Wish I could work out how to turn the sound off on my new camera!!!:eek:

Well cant believe tis over 2 months since I updated the donks diary - how time flys when you are having so much fun in the rehab centre!:rolleyes:

Well the boys have now been groomed to within an inch of their little lives - Wilf now actually has a little mane growing and the hair on his neck and head has regrown - has shed most of his foal coat and is totally lice, sores and all other 'orrible stuff free. KD on the other hand , although now well groomed, still has a few knots under his belly that I am slowly inching my way towards with my trusty scissors. Gave up on the clippers - or rather they MADE me give up on the clippers, bruised hand, dented ego, broken clippers - you get the picture? Unfortunately he hasnt been as quick as Wilf to shed so have had to dose him 2 weeks running with copper. Seems to be working cos now managing to comb out great handfuls of hair every day.

Personalitys are now showing through - the energy they now have is gratifying to see - so rewarding watching them playing chase me at 100MPH - usually just when I want to catch them to bring them back to their stable paddock for the night!:furious: Plus as I or J are the 2 females who do all the nasty stuff with them they have decided I am not a very nice person and will only be caught by OH! he thinks thats great bless him - he really is a bit of an old softy and has fallen for the 2 waifs big time!:wink:

KD has now got his little man bits - and has decided he is very much a jack donkey - bolshy, boss of little Wilf and quite handy with his back legs when he has had enough of me brushing, prodding and dosing him!:bounce: Want to get him cut but dare not until the flys have subsided. He is going to bros at beginning of October so hopefully get him done September if the flys arent as bad. |No sign of Wilfs danglies - but he is still very much a baby compared to the bigger brute KD. Not too worried about that though - Wilf has his home for life with us so can get him done later in the winter hopefully.

Oh yes - nearly forgot - KDs breathing gave concern for sometime - but has now resolved itself completely - took away his fags and lighter:bounce: -seriously though think maybe he had a chest cold or something that has now cleared up with good food and a warm stable at night and in the wet weather.

All in all I am thrilled at how much they have improved, health wise, confidence and growth. Shall add a clip of them taken recently - you might want to roll on for about 4 minutes cos there is at least 5 minutes of them just hareing around like lunatics and I didnt know how to split the video to get some of that bit off it!:redface:

Oh and yes......FM.......Son and J are now an item!!!:bounce: How funny is that - just hope they dont fall out too soon cos will lose my little helper!:smoke:

They are seriously cute and hats off to you for giving these two gorgeous boys a loving home and being so patient and kind.

Love your updates.

N

Yah finally an update!
So pleased to hear they're doing well, you've done them proud Cortrasna, and the first five minutes of that vid is the best bit, hurtling round the field playing. Its going to be such a shame when they get split up.

And any idea when you'll be buying a lovely new hat?!!:playfull:

Was trawling back through my donkey diary and was shocked to see how much time that I have allowed to lapse since my last update on my little chaps.

So here we go folks - so much has happened for KD and Wilf, some good, some not so good unfortunately for them.

As the summer drew towards autumn KD became increasingly more bolshie and bargey in direct relation to the increasing size of his balls!:giggle: - Wanted to get him 'done' before the beginning of October when my brother was due over for Ballinalsoe and to take him back with them. Transpires that my vet wont touch him anytime through September due to the zillions of flys that seem to have swarmed around our part of Ireland this year. Need to wait until October until there is less chance of infection.

So brother came over minus the trailer- KD not ready to travel until at least mid October when his little family jewels are gone. But bro and wifey are delighted with himself, and happy to get a friend to pick him up on one of their trips over from here with a lorry full of horses to England. But they did go home with 2 adorable collie pups bought at Ballinalsoe so not an entirely wasted trip!

So on the 9th October the vet arrives, not my old pal Tom, hes having a well deserved holiday so sent a child pretending to be a qualified vet to do the job on KD.:cold: Well the silly, silly girl was terrified to even get near enough to sedate him - called in all hands to pin him against the wall to get the needle in, didnt give enough he is still dragging 2 strong men, 1 frail old biddy and a super strong young woman around the stable - in goes dose 2. within 10 minutes he is almost comatose (at this point OH went indoors couldnt cope with seeing his little KD in such a state:rolleyes:) The child pretending to be a vet then proceeded to dash in towards KDs nether regions, stabbing at him with a scalpel, whilst her hand shook uncontrollably like someone in late stage Parkinsons. Poor little donk managed to feebly wave a leg about vaguely in her direction - the silly cow was up of her haunches and out the stable door like an olympic runner!:devil: Jeeeezus!!! He was so flipping sedated even if hed made contact with her would have been like a feather brushing her skin!!!:timebomb:

By now I am having serious doubts about letting this juvenile with Parkinsons do anymore to my donkey - too late though, blood is gushing everywhere, no choice but to let her carry on practicing on my little hairy prince. Eventually the job is done, he is stitched up, hes microchipped and paperwork for passport is done, and young lady with a very red face and curses ringing in her delicate young ears is shown off the yard. She will NOT be visiting me or my animals again!:furious:

So - whilst all this is going on, poor little Wilf has run himself silly around the paddock eeawing for his best friend - we all turned round from waving a cheerful and friendly goodbye (yeah right!)to the vet imposter to find he'd come through the electric fencing and was in the yard doing his best to climb over the stable door to join the still very, very sedated KD.:unsure:

Let them out together and Wilf spent most of that night standing by KD and pushing his neck gently with his nose to try and get some response. By morning KD was much more awake but very, very quiet still:frown: Spent 2 weeks watching him like a hawk, swelling went down and he seemed in good fettle so phoned bro to arrange his transport to the UK.

Alls settled then, KD off to England, Wilf to be taken down the field to join the herd. Erm.....no, transporter friend had a stroke, cant get anyone to take KD up to the North to get on another load for that nights boat over. Phoned bro - said would have to arrange something else so thats then sorted that we await phone call to say when the 2nd attempt to get him traveling will be.

Meanwhile I decide would be best to put them down in the big fields with the herd before KD goes so that Wilf can pal up with the others and hopefully wont be so traumatized by waving bye bye to KD. Said to OH as we walked them down that Im not happy with the way KD is walking on his backend, sort of throwing one leg out to the side and reluctant to go forward. Checked him when we get down to the little paddock I had made alongside the herd, lo and behold he has grown 2 new balls overnight!!!:cry:

Tom the vet arrived within the hour, had to open him up again, drain away some disgusting pus and gunk, give hime a jab of antibiotics and some bute. Told me it was a good job the travelling the day before had been cancelled, said hed probably have died on the trip over! Told him I know it was one of those things but was not at all impressed with his new young sidekick and did wonder at maybe he'd been stitched up TOO well - too quick healing, no drainage, infection sets in???:frown: At least he didnt charge me!!!:giggle:

Happy to say that was a few days ago, all seems well and have now turned them in with the rest, much galloping around, Bertie the oldest donkey has taken an aversion to little Wilf, is it because Wilf is still a full jack or because hes brown and white so Bertie doesnt think hes a donkey???:unsure: Still Bertie is far too fat, so a few days hairing around after nipply little Wildf might shift some fat off the tubby old thing, so thats not a bad thing.

OH now muttering that it perhaps isnt meant to be that KD goes to England, Sigh...we've been through all this so many times.......even spoke to bro and he said if OH is so attached then just get them another one and keep KD. But I KNOW - if we get another one for England - OH wont want that to go either by the time we have it sorted and passported it will he??? There is a limit to the number of animals I can look after these days, think 3 dogs, 2 horses and 4 donkeys is about my limit TBH! And as I have done almost nothing to sell JJ and am actively looking for an old plod to replace him I really dont need another donkey do I? or do I???:bounce:

so thats how things are at the moment here in wet and windy old Ireland, winter rushing in like an avenging devil, fields full of horses and donkeys, no firm date for departure of KD, soon be too rough at sea to let him travel. Wonder just how many donkeys will be here by the spring huh??:bounce:

So thats about it so far with my little rescue donkeys -

newrider.com