Just turning 6 and turning in to a brat...Help

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Sorry long winded wine and ice cream might me needed before you start

The last month has been really hard for Ginger and I. First we had the round of not eating, crib biting and rearing in the field now that has all stopped but under saddle he is a brat.

It all started when I hacked out with a friend as we turned for home (at a place we have never been before) he started to prance around and threaten to rear I rode him through it and forgot about it until the next weekend. This time he was OK 60% of the way then started to prance in the large field as we walked through it. Next I hacked out with 4 friends he was OK for a while but we decided to split up so we could have a canter up the hill. I went with one friend he was OK but pulled and pranced the whole way home.

The next week he was a sod the whole time prancing around and sideways. All we did was walk that day.

In the school he then start to add a few cheeky bucks not much and a small kick pushed him through it. The he started ad libing shooting forward with head in the air for a stride or 5:frown:

Tonight he really went for it 4 times he shot forward and just as I got him calm he Lipizzaner leaped first the front end came up and forward then the back end up and kick out. :help: OMG brown pant moment. After the second of shock I pushed him on and got him thinking for the next 20 minutes he was breath taking to ride the most amazing shoulder in and leg yield full of power and ground covering the most amazing canter he has ever given on both reins:biggrin: If my heart was not in my mouth I would of enjoyed the ride more.

Two friends were watching and I actually heard their gasps of shock at both what he did and that I was still on board.

So he had finally hit the teenage years and I will hand on heart say it scares the shit out of me. I know I have to dig deep and deal with the ginger devil but just getting on board is a challenge. A friend suggest a calmer which is funny as his physio suggested the same after his cribbing issue.

Anyone else had to 'grow' some to deal with a youngster that has just realised that he is 16.2, very fit, strong and worse Ginger.

Any advice welcome

I have no advice. If I was in your position I would get someone like you to get on.

Hope that he improves his behaviour soon. You are a talented and confident rider, keep your faith that you will get through it and have an even more amazing horse at the other end.

Oh gosh that does sound full on. Raf went through a bit of the Kevins in the year he turned 7, but he really did no more than deciding he had opinions of his own and showing his defiance by flouncing, pretend spooking and some little bucks - nothing too challenging.

The only crumb of consolation I can offer is that it lasted less than a year.

I expect that Ginger is just challenging you to help you grow as a rider - such a thoughtful boy. Seriously though, you've worked through challenges with Chanter and I'm sure you're more than able to cope with some new ones. Just think, by the end of the year you'll be a so much more experienced and stronger rider. And then hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the fruits of your labour!

Wow - again, I am just in awe of your riding skills. Don't have anything helpful to offer but I will be following with interest to see how you manage (and I'm sure you will).

Have you had him checked for ulcers? The cribbing, and his recent change in behaviour could be a sign.. maybe try something to help line his stomach to see if it changes his behaviour? I've seen a supplement called GastriAid (by naf) it's not particularly cheap, but i it helps it's surely worth a try?
It's quite possible when Ginger wasn't eating enough fibre he's irritated his stomach lining. It might not just be Kevin behaviour.

Have you had him checked for ulcers? The cribbing, and his recent change in behaviour could be a sign.. maybe try something to help line his stomach to see if it changes his behaviour? I've seen a supplement called GastriAid (by naf) it's not particularly cheap, but i it helps it's surely worth a try?
It's quite possible when Ginger wasn't eating enough fibre he's irritated his stomach lining. It might not just be Kevin behaviour.

Thanks DS He has been on Gastriaid for about a month now he is not reacting when I touch his tummy area I am carrying on with the gastriaid as like you have had the cribbing may have irritated him and I would rather be on the safe side.

The physio has been out last week and said he his back was good and the dentist is due just waiting on a call back from them.

Thanks DS He has been on Gastriaid for about a month now he is not reacting when I touch his tummy area I am carrying on with the gastriaid as like you have had the cribbing may have irritated him and I would rather be on the safe side.

The physio has been out last week and said he his back was good and the dentist is due just waiting on a call back from them.

Thats interesting that the Gastriaid started the same time as his behaviour, from what you are saying that is really quite exteme, Im used to youngsters playing up, as they find their strength and power...but never to that level. The shooting forward does scream to me its possible a saddle issue even if the back is fine or with the head in the air evasion possibly teeth and or both! Has he changed shape much over winter? I remember you saying turnout had changed slightly in this poor weather, could that have made him more explosive?

We have never really had aTB be teenagerish at 6. Is he alot fitter than he was last year? If so this coupled with reduced turnout would be producing the exiteable behaviour.

We have days where ours are like this and our new trainer is a great believer in get them in the school, get in light seat off their back and keep on cantering until normal listening starts, can take from 5 to 15 minutes but inevitably works. Do not attempt walk or trot work until horse is listening.

Thanks guys I will try to answer each question as best I can.

He has always been explosive on the lunge

He is currently feed Bowen High fiber mash and a low sugar chaff linseed and gastroaid only

His turn out is the same just in a smaller area they have access to hay all day and night (turn out 0600-1800 every day only ever been brought in once early at 1300 and once not turned out until 1300 but brought in at 1900)

Saddle is the only thing not checked, He is ridden in two different ones a dressage for flat and a GP for jumping he is the same in both.

Yes he has changed shape is getting a good top time and filling out. so saddles could be the issue the only thing that makes me doubt but I will get both checked is he is fine when I tack up does not react at all once on board will work lovely for 10-20 minutes or more if hacking up to an hour before he starts the behavour. At the start of the hack he is donkey self.

Their saddles were last checked in Sept but I will call the new guy tonight.

EML I have to say that I did as you said just got on with it as I can't afford to be scared of my own horse. After the 'issue' I rode him forward soft of seat but made him think and work. what he produced was quite breathtaking.

He is back to his lovely old self to bring in and be around. Follows me round like a sheep and happy to be groomed and fussed.

I think it might be a combination of getting older, he is very fit, settling in to new yard and enjoying life or at least this is what I hope it is.

Thanks everyone I will call saddler and wait to see any suggested based on my answers

Nothing useful to add apart from you have recently moved, maybe he is finding his feet, new horses, new routes, he is going through the motions.
It could be a coincidence on the age?

My other thought is he fit and ready to do more, as in mentally he wants/needs more stimulation. He produced some good dressage moves which sounds ground covering, expressive, has flair etc. So maybe what he is doing just needs channeling in a positive direction.

Nothing useful to add apart from you have recently moved, maybe he is finding his feet, new horses, new routes, he is going through the motions.
It could be a coincidence on the age?

My other thought is he fit and ready to do more, as in mentally he wants/needs more stimulation. He produced some good dressage moves which sounds ground covering, expressive, has flair etc. So maybe what he is doing just needs channeling in a positive direction.

This is my gut feeling, as you know the weather has been awful so I have not been able to get out and about competing as most events have been cancelled. That and the limited amount of time to get in the school and work him so he has had more time off this last 2 months then ever before.

So if not the saddles (which I will still get checked) I guess it is back to really hard mental work for him. it is a good job I enjoy it as well then

I suppose look on the positive, after the tantrum the work was stupendous - maybe sometimes to get that you have to take the other as well.

If any consolation, I have a ginger ninja age 19 months.....she had been doing ok till today when we had a full tantrum.

I suppose look on the positive, after the tantrum the work was stupendous - maybe sometimes to get that you have to take the other as well.

If any consolation, I have a ginger ninja age 19 months.....she had been doing ok till today when we had a full tantrum.

I know my boy had a huge growth splurt outwards! between 5/6 - Granted he was a Cob/Welsh type he actually didnt fit his rugs from one winter to the next at that age ( the buckle wouldnt even reach first hole at his chest) He was mainly a driving boy so I didnt have constant ridden work to contend with ongoing saddle adjustments, however when he did go more into his ridden side, I did need to buy a complete new saddle as he turned 6.

I know my boy had a huge growth splurt outwards! between 5/6 - Granted he was a Cob/Welsh type he actually didnt fit his rugs from one winter to the next at that age ( the buckle wouldnt even reach first hole at his chest) He was mainly a driving boy so I didnt have constant ridden work to contend with ongoing saddle adjustments, however when he did go more into his ridden side, I did need to buy a complete new saddle as he turned 6.

Lucky for me he has an Monarch adjustable saddle and Chanter has a Throwgood (sp) adjustable so one should be able to fit his expanding size.

To my very untrained eye they both look and feel OK not tight anywhere and level but I admit to not having the knowledge hence calling the professional in.

I think probably the move has unsettled him slightly, and he probably feels really well now. He has a nice life, a mate and has put his last life behind him.

I have no advice to offer really, other than a lot of schooling work, but you do that anyway. Hard work is the only way I have found to get Tobes under.

I haven't got any advice that hasn't been said already, im sure things will all work out okay OBC!

My Dartmoor pony is also 6 and VERY kevins, although it doesn't help that his old owners treated him like a little dog and never disciplined him :banghead:

He is getting better slowly, but he can be quite 'scary' sometimes and he is only 10.2 lol!!! :giggle:

newrider.com