Just to confuse things a bit further...

S

StormyJ

I understood the other thread about bay+chestnut parents, but the bay stallion I'm looking at (Gwynfaes Culhwch) has thrown a, well, this colour foal!
dunfilly.jpg

I don't know what colour the mother was.

So where does that colour fit into the gene pool? :confused: I like it, so how would you get it?

Also, what is a flaxen chestnut mare likely to throw to him? He is giving foals of all colours, including several flaxen liver chestnuts!
Gwynfaes Culhwch

That's a buckskin (bay + cream). Gwynfaes Culhwch doesn't have the cream gene, so the cream must have come from mum in this instance. You wouldn't get that colour from the stallion unless you used a mare with the cream dilute (palomino and buckskin would give you a 50/50 chance of a cream dilute foal, to guarantee a cream dilute foal youy'd have to use a cremello or perlino mare).

But basically speaking, if you're using a chestnut mare, you won't get that colour, since the stallion doesn't have a copy of cream to pass on.

He's not double dilute; he's palomino, which is a single dilute. From the diescription, the filly out of the roan mare is also palomino, just a dark palomino.

Ahh right!!!

She told me that when put to another palomino of same colouring that he has a 50% chance of producing cremello.

Was this true???

Nikki xxxx

Ahh right!!!

She told me that when put to another palomino of same colouring that he has a 50% chance of producing cremello.

Was this true???

Nikki xxxx

'Fraid not. Palomino x palomino gets you 25% chance of chestnut, 25% chance of cremello, and 50% chance of palomino.

There is only one way to guarantee palomino; cremello x chestnut gives you a 100% guarantee of palomino foals.

Cremello x cremello will always result in another cremello.

Cremello x palomino will give you 50% chance of cremello, and 50% chance of palomino. It sounds like the owner is working out the odds this way; but her stallion is palomino, not cremello.

So as we're talking about Welshies the dam was a palomino?

Thanks Chev! :)

Maybe; she could also have been buckskin (as in your pic) or smoky black (black with one cream gene - often the horse shows no sign of the cream in this case). She could even have been a double dilute like cremello.

I understood the other thread about bay+chestnut parents, but the bay stallion I'm looking at (Gwynfaes Culhwch) has thrown a, well, this colour foal!
dunfilly.jpg

I don't know what colour the mother was.

So where does that colour fit into the gene pool? :confused: I like it, so how would you get it?

+culhwch"]Gwynfaes Culhwch[/URL]

That horse honestly looks like a Grey to me...

newrider.com