"Just a rain sheet"...

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
It was the low to mid teens temperature-wise yesterday. With my newly-clipped mare living out "I'll just pop a no-neck rain sheet on her" said I, "it's not like its freezing temperatures overnight at the moment" TWO degrees and ice on the car this morning!! Where did THAT come from? The overnight forecast was seven!!! Bet G was a tad nippy!!!

Yeah, that might have been a bit of a shock for her. Our forecast was for similar but I knew by the time I got home it was going to freeze, it had that feel about it.

We had frost too and it was on the car and on the grass :( Harvey doesn't seem to feel the cold (mind you - he's not clipped yet)

Torin is fully clipped and at present is out naked during the day as it's dry with his no fill but fleece lined on at night. I know he is warm at 3am at 1-2° as I've stayed here a couple nights and seen him at that time when I can't sleep :rolleyes: mind he has never gone more than a 100g rug fully clipped in the 3 years I've had him. I do have a 200g incase but just haven't need it as of yet.

To be honest, I worry more about over-rugging. To me, if a horse is cold it can run around to warm up, but if it is rugged and hot there's not much it can do, especially if there is no shade in the field.

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
Interestingly Little Un was quite tetchy when I rugged him last night, and for some reason I changed his rug even though I thought he'd be too warm in the one he then had on. He then settled. Like @domane I wasn't expecting ice on the car this morning, but I had a rather smug pony!

We have been getting a touch of frost on and off for past couple of weeks, none of ours get clipped so nice hairy coats, no rugs for ours unless really bad, of course Tess will get one as soon as we have really low temperatures but at moment she coping fine, infact sweating in the heat yesterday, stupid highs and lows at moment.

Jack and the baby are naked and will probs remain so for winter. Although they will be living out, they will have ad lib hay so hopefully that, coupled with their winter coats, will keep them warm.

newrider.com