Just a little bit worried...

CMR

Monty the Monster Hoss
Nov 15, 2005
Kentucky, USA
It's raining today. I woke up and there were puddles everywhere. No wind, just rain. It's not even that cold(I'm went to feed in a T-shirt, no umbrella-I'm crazy:rolleyes: ). I noticed that one of my horses was shivering. It wasn't big shivers, just small ones around his shoulder and flank. He has plenty of hay, and I gave him extra grain. I'm getting ready to make him a nice warm bran mash also. None of my other horses were shivering, and they were all soaking wet also(although they have a large run in shed). To be prepared for future days like this, I'm going to buy him a blanket for the rainy days. Is there anything else I can do for him today? Or any illnesses I should watch out for?

really just needs a rug to heat him up a bit - if you get sudden changes in temperature they can get chilled. I had a tb who I turned out one day without a rug, in the middle of the day, saw the sky was getting black, ran out to rug him up (middle of summer!) and it came down hailstones and found him with them all over his back and shaking.

Dried him off and rugged him up and he was fine.

You sometimes find when the season is changing, they shed their coat, then suddenly it turns cold again and they feel it.

newrider.com