Jumping Yesterday - pathetic - but i did it

Nookster

Oct 21, 2002
As some of you may know I don’t jump my boy. In the past I have had many dirty stops and not being a good enough rider I was off / superman acts a lot. The last time that put me off I was jumping in Glenrothes, we done most of the course coming up to a plank 3ft fence, bang shoulder out stop. I somehow ended up landing on the plank on my back and bending in two the wrong way!!! My friend who has jumped most of her life and has competed BSJA is normally fine when I fall but her running towards me (never does this – is never flusted)….her facial expression said it all so to say.

Since then I can’t get the guts to even considering jumping! My friend kindly helped me to take my boy back to basics and thankfully had the experience and confidence to do so. He pulled only a couple of dirty stops with her but these have been a while back now. He has a total different attitude to jumping now and not this fear he seemed to have before. Hard to explain? He looks like he enjoys himself.

Anyway I finally got the guts to do the nursery novice! Some might not understand my fear and others might think the jumps are pathetic but for me it’s a major hurdle and the only way is up – at a very slow rate might I add!!! Haha

Enjoy the pics and the commentary. You can tell I am petrified in the pictures – oh dear

All ready and waiting to go
Dsc01284.jpg

Trailer hitched (very proud to introduce my new 510 trailer!)
Dsc01286.jpg

Nursery Novice – waiting for the bell to ring
Dsc01289.jpg

Jump No2 done and dusted only 6 more to go – I am white as a sheet
Dsc01290.jpg

No3 – excuse the position I think I thought I was actually jumping something
Dsc01294.jpg

Round to No5 double – really scared now btw
Dsc01297.jpg

Open eyes – am I still alive?
Dsc01298.jpg

Please slow down ! – my poor boys mouth :(
Dsc01301.jpg

Our competition – I swear I was a novice!!!
Dsc01319.jpg

Rosette time
Dsc01331.jpg

Dsc01333.jpg

Lap of honour
Dsc01341.jpg

Proud mum moment – especially for looking after me!
Dsc01347.jpg

awww well done!!! And don't worry we all have to get our nerves back slowly and in our own time.

I'm exactly the same!! Haven't attempted a course yet, manged four fences in a go last night dotted around our school, but its having the nerve to have a go.

p.s your trailer looks fabby!! :D

Well done :D

You have to start somewhere to gain your confidence back and you are doing it the right way. :)
He does look like he is having fun with his ears all forward and a happy face.

(Ignore my pm of the lorry having seen your sparkly new trailer :D lol)

having been in the same situation as you I can totally understand where you are coming from and well done for having the confidence to give it a go and doing well at it.It doesn't matter how long it takes you to feel happy doing bigger fences and it doesn't matter if you choose to stick to the height you are jumping as long as you are happy and confident with it.

well done!!

I'm in a simelar situation to you.. in that I have no confidence jumping. I didnt loose it, I just never had it!!

So I know how amazing every little victory seems! Be it jumping a course of nursey novice jumps, or simply getting over a jump in the school at home!

Well done! And the only way is up!!

Well done! It's weird how terrifying these things can be, but you look absolutely fine even though you weren't feeling ok inside. Keep on taking it slowly and all will be well in the end :)

Well done. Confidence is such a delicate thing, you can lose it really quickly but with a little effor you CAN get it back. Good for you! The worst is over now hun, taking that first step.

It's not pathetic! It's FANTASTIC! I'm quite nervous jumping Skye, and am going to attempt 4 tires on her on the weekend. Maybe next week you can go a few cm higher? And a little higher everytime. Take your time, there's no rush.

absolutely wonderful nookster, well done to you and chinook :) look at the expression on chinook's face, he's loving it!! jumping confidence is hard to get back (been there, got it back and now it's gone again for me :( ) you do things at your own pace. Looks like you've made a cracking start at getting your confidence back.

Thanks for all the lovely comments!

Glad there are other people in my shoes too.

I was realy impressed by the riders there! The younger kids have so much confidence i wish they could loan a bit to me :D

things got so bad for me in the summer last year that I entered a 'chase me charlie' except it wasnt higher and higher it was narrower and narrower. They started off with those polyblock things in a row and took on off the end each time. I kid you not these things were like 12" high. I was the only adult in the class:p

Oh Nookster...those photographs were wonderful and your commentary was hilarious:D
Well done lass....you and chinook look outstanding together.:)

newrider.com