Jumping.......Wanting Any Advice

missy77

Oct 28, 2007
Hi....i am currently working a ex-racer TB, 16.3hh called Pierre. He is an EFA A Grade show jumper who has competed in the Olympics at some stage. He is 14 years old.
We are concentrating specifially on his jumping at the moment along with the occasional trail ride, although i would like any advice you can give me about excersises to improve a horses jump. He is excellent at jumping, perfect scope although he tends to rush from past experiences because time is of the essence to him. Also any advice on good quality gear to use for jumping would be great. Thanks for any advice i recieve. :D

oooo lucky you
lots of gridwork make him think were he is putting his legs
if he is rushing into a fence from a distance pull him up and make him trot it
put a course up after each fence pull up and stand for 5 secs then carry on with the course
try trotting poles in front of the fence to make him think
make sure you are sitting really tall as that can affect speed aswell
i know you said you concentrating on you jumping but do alot of flatwork and schooling too i would say jump no more than 2 or 3 times a week,hacking is good for them and trail rides
i would make sure you get the best hat you can afford check the saftey standards champion is a good make hat i love mine
urm i would also invest in and pair of breeches with leather seat they are so comfy for jumping in

I would say if he's competed at that level then take the opportunity to learn from him (with a trainer) rather than teach him a new way of doing a job he already knows. Have fun, you're soooo lucky!

thanks

thanks for your advice....
to be honest my mum used to be an instructor and i have never had a lesson in my life!! i prefer to learn my own way, with what i am comfortable and the horse learns to accommodate that and very soon get comfortable with my own way of training and riding. Pierre, the horse, may be able to jump that high but i surely cant :D
I have plenty of pairs of breeches i can assure you lol.....I have a $496 jumping helmet, close contact jumping saddle worth $5996 and a $225 gackle bridle so we are well equiped for a junior jumping team lol.
He's become lazy with smaller jumps so i just need tips on how i, as a rider, can improve and keep him jumping properly. I change the jumps all the time so that keeps his interest but hopefully as a rider i can improve and compete at a higher level with him and we, as a team, will improve.
Thanks for all your advice!! It's well appreciated.

Last edited:
newrider.com