jumping troubles

snuggly_elf

cuillin grazing!
Sep 17, 2001
Visit site
I have just started jumping again after a break of about five years (I have jumped in the five years but not properly, just hopping on a pony and popping over a few tiny jumps.) I am having major problems keeping straight when approaching jumps. Even cross poles, I think that I'm straight but seem to end up jumping the poles by the wing! I have to say that I haven't noticed myself doing this on uprights. Thankfully the pony that I ride is very obliging and does jump the cross poles at the edge rather an running out, not that he had much of an option as the jumps were five in the middle of the school side by side! But obviously running out will be a big problem for me when jumping jumps that arn't side by side if I don't get this sorted soon. Any help will be appreciated.
Snugs

pa, I am glad to inform that I seem to have lost my fear of jumping! (might be cos the things were doing at the moment you could do with out the horse with ease!)

I find it helps to visualize a line from where I first face the jump all the way to the end of the arena. Try to pick a focal point straight ahead of that line (past the jump) and ride straight up to, over, and past the jump toward that focal point. My instructor would sometimes stand at the end of a line for this purpose.

get your instructor to put a block or wing in the corner after the jump, level with the inside wing of the jump, and aim to ride outside it. it's much easier when you've got something physical to aim for.

hiya this is a similar idea to the v thing but if you get two poles & lie them perpendicular to the fence ,parral to each other creating a sort of channel to ride through. the other thing you could try is a triple or something to that effect, not very high though & just look & aim at the last jump & hopefully the pony should follow your eye. :)

thanks everyone, I'll try the keeping my eye on something at the other end of the school one next time I jump. I always look up and ahead but I never thought to look at a particular spot.

newrider.com