Jumping tips/advice/help wanted please :)

JOJOBA

Fluffy Bunny, apparently
Im wanting to start jumping my horsie. Ive always been scared stiff of jumping (except on my old pony Casper, who I even took round a x country course *gasp*!), but hecs needs something new to do and Id like to try it out with him.
Basic stuff - he's 15.1hh, l/w cob type. VERY laid back. The problem we're having is that he will just not get into the idea at all. Stick a horse in front of him for him to follow and he jumps like a stag :p, on his own he either refuses (a very sedate refusal - he just slows down in a genteel way until he ends up in a neat halt), backs off just before the jump, or runs straight through it with poles flying everywhere.
As far a I know he's never really been taught to jump. We have done the basics of pole work, and raised poles, and he will pop a tiny cross pole (usually with his eyes shut and just trotting over it) happily. His striding is okay, and so long as I stay positive I can keep him going in his last second 'oh no I dont think I can actually lift my legs a foot!' stage.
But I never get any higher than about a maximum of 2ft, and we need to work up to that.
Id like to feel like he's enjoying his jumping a bit more - but Id rather not follow another horse (I also dont think I could persuade anyone to do it) as I dont feel happy that I can stop him in that situation. id like to build my confidence jumping and get a better jump out of him.
Basically we both need better attitudes and enjoyment out of it!
I have cones, poles, wings, blocks, and a 20x40 rubber outdoor school at my disposal.
Any tips/ideas/advice/help?
Thanks many.
Jo and Hec
xxx

Two things that can work really well are sending the horse through a small grid, three or four fences long and no higher than you want (height is not really the issue). If you build it against the side of the school you will really cut down on the chance of run-outs. Many horses seem to build their athleticism and confidence this way. A session with another horse can also really help> you don't necessarily have to follow straight after to get the benefit - horses seem to benefit from the peer pressure of watching each other.
Good luck

Chewitmonster I've only told you a million times you can ride him whenever :p. You can hack him too if you like - build up some confidence and get to know the area before taking Silvery.
Wonderpony what exactly do you mean by grid? Like a double / triple set or a box or what... I know all of those as grids! Thanks very much, Jo
xxx

newrider.com