Jumping downhill...help!

Skyeblu

Aug 25, 2005
I absolutely hate jumping downhill. I don't know whether to take jumping position or lean back and hold on for dear life! :p . Does anyone have any tips at all? Thanks.

Lean back, lean back, lean back! Take the jumping position and you'll roll over the head :) Also ... if you're still going downhill don't just sit up into your normal position ... or you'll roll over the head! I know, I did it on my first xc lesson on a 17.2hh!!! I went down the step, over the jump and then sat up and rolled straight over his shoulder onto the grass :rolleyes:

Lets face it, when you're landing over a jump, you ARE coming downhill! If your lower leg position is secure, and maybe a little forward of normal, just adopt a normal light forward position and LOOK UP!
It's when you let yourself watch where you are landing that you roll over the shoulder. Once you are committed to the jump, keep the momentum going, don't slow down and ride on at the next one.
(I'm assuming you are jumping fairly small jumps at this stage - for big ones I agree, sit back!)

Do you mean going over a normal jump that is situated on a downhill grade, or do you mean going over a drop-style jump?

I'm not confident and experienced on any but the smallest of drop jumps, but I have been taught to keep the body more vertical (or even behind the vertical, if necessary) and give ample rein (planning to slip the rein if required).

For a regular obstacle on a downhill grade, I've always been taught to jump just as I would any other jump of it's type (assuming the normal jump position), but to be extra careful to have the horse well-balanced on approach and to be prepared to rebalance the horse quickly after with rein and seat.

Last edited:
newrider.com