Jumped today *Pics*

acw295

May 21, 2006
twitter.com
Did some pole work with Molly today, she once again thought it was highly exciting and wanted to jump them :rolleyes:

For those who don't know - jumping scares me silly. I very rarely do any :eek: as it makes me feel sick.

But we jumped a little x pole, and then an upright (big for me - 2ft 6ish).

I swore a lot as Molly got very carried away and she keeps veering left on the last stride (my approach is straight) when she puts in a little extra one :confused:

Ideas why she does this please and suggestions how to fix it!

Please no harsh critique - jumping is not my thing and I know I lack practice :eek:

2102038.jpg

2102039.jpg

2102041.jpg

2102042.jpg

lovely horse! great jumps!
do you mind if i add that your toes turn out a lot? something to work on. a friend of mine was the same :p

great pics - turning to the left at the last minute is a new one on me, make sure you are dead straight - maybe your left side isnt as strong and is allowing her out that side ? :confused:

To correct ....... put a pole either side, making a sort of passageway for her to stay within, you can make it as narrow or as wide as you dare and if she goes over the passageway poles, put one side up on the jump wings

aww well done, theyr great pics, especially with you not actually liking jumping! no idea about the pulling left thing, im afraid! well done though x

In all the pics you have more weight in your right leg. This will cause horse to bend slightly around that leg and any appliaction of that leg as yhe horse rebalances on the short stride will cause a movement to the left. Effectively a leg yeild.
On approach just try and put more weight in left leg than right which will probvablt make you even and correct the problem.

Brilliant - thanks David :D

Well that makes perfect sense as it is my left knee that is quite frankly buggered (dislocated it for the umpteenth time on the 28 Dec and although healing it isn't strong)!

Will make some efforts to correct it - but hopefully it will also improve as I heal :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with our approach - we are literally dead straight until one stride out, she always adds another short one and with that we go left!

So hopefully if I work on her striding and I get stronger on the left side it will stop happening! :)

In all the pics you have more weight in your right leg. This will cause horse to bend slightly around that leg and any appliaction of that leg as yhe horse rebalances on the short stride will cause a movement to the left. Effectively a leg yeild.
On approach just try and put more weight in left leg than right which will probvablt make you even and correct the problem.

Just like to say, well done you! its hard when your nervous about jumping.

Love your horse, Lovely, eager pop in him.

When my horse went thru a phase of stopping she used to always go out to the left, and i had a lesson with my RI and she noticed i was dropping my hands on the last stride and she was stopping because of me.

Have a go at opening your right rein out and it really helps for me if i feel im going to drop her.

Just something you might consider :)

Well done, again.
x

Well done, that is a fabulous achievement! Lovely pics aswell. Keep up the good work!
A tip I got for a horse that runs out to a certain side is to actually approch it more to the oppiste side ( so in your case take a slighly right approach), perticularly if you going over an upright fence, then gradually decrease the amount to one side your going till you are hitting the centre of the jump again.
Another idea is put a wing ( it can just be a pole, propped up on the jump) on the left hand side to encourage strightness. Also sometimes putting something spooky( but not to spooky!) on the left had side means that the horse will feel safer jumping it then going to the left. Personally I'm not keen on this one as I think you can cause the horse to shy on the approach unbalancing both horse and rider but it might always be worth a try if nothing as is working in the long term.
:D Well done again :)

Hi
Just wanted to say well done you. I think your jumping pics look fab.

I'm in the same situation as you, nervous jumping but when I do it I love it all at the same time.
Your pone looks boootiful too.

Hi,

I am no expert so I it is not a critique, but a few observations.

1) Ain't you ahead of the jump in pic 1? You may want to wait for that last stride so that you don't unbalance the horse before take off. Maybe you were riding in two point seat before the jump, so I can't tell by the pic.

2) I think you could try lowering your hand so that your elbow is not so flexed? I see your elbow flexed up to 30 degrees in some of them pictures. I think this could also help free up the neck, which looks a little tight in pics 1 and 2)

Just my thoughts.

newrider.com