Judges at local show dislike Ziggy, shock horror probe!

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Well, we went off to a little local showing show today. Getting there was a right palaver but not worth a story. And Z and I entered 3 classes and we came:

Last, with no rosette (riding horse or pony):

Last, with a "special" rosette in a fetching shade of beige (handsomest gelding);

4th and a green frilly in Pony the Judge Would Most Like To Take Home.

The Riding horse class was fair enough as it was our first class and he was in full whizz mode. The judge said his conformation marks were excellent but his marks for manners were non existent!

He bucked twice during his individual show in the judge's choice class so also fair enough.

But last in Handsomest Gelding? My Ziggy? The judge was blind! We was robbed!

It was lovely to have a day out with him though :)

It might have something to do with the fact that Ziggy is looking so slim and healthy these days. A lot of judges, especially old fashioned ones, like to see 'well covered' horses, gleaming with fat ripples under the skin. Never mind, in our eyes Ziggy was robbed!

Well there you go, what do they know anyway? Probably chose the placings in order of the largest back hander they got!:p I am sure
Ziggy doesn't give a hoot, why would he, he surely knows he was the best pony there, even if the silly judges didn't. ;)

Reactions: Kite_Rider
It is an outrage! Sure ziggy would win 'pony everyone would like to take home' in a NR poll! (I know there are many other lovely ones but ziggy is just such a cutie)

Reactions: tbaynancy
We took baby coloured out for her first party today to a very small show. In a years time she is going to be fantastic but at 4 is backward having already had at least one foal. She came last in both classes ( slightly improved by the judge saying how nice she would be !) However having listened to the judges comments to other competitors not sure this was worth anything!

As long as you always feel that the horse you take home is the best/has performed at its best that is the most you can take from local showing

The showing world is odd, mine is apparently show condition. Thanks that tells me we are fat!

I took Jack showing and I was embarrassed, but the judge allowed us to stay in the ring for experience :oops:
However, when we did handybpiny we wiped the board and won. The judge-the same one couldnt believe the change in him. He had something to do instead if standing about.

I have been to a few showing shows and the judging is so completely random, it's not worth taking seriously. My Ben didn't get placed in most handsome gelding either - he obviously should have won first place!

We all love Ziggy and that's all that is important.

I nearly said to the judge, "Are you aware that my pony won the Most Handsome Gelding on a Very Important Forum?"

But I just smiled and acted like the light relief! The friend I went with cleaned up - 1st in her dressage class, 2nd in Riding Horse and only 0.5 point off first, and First in Horse the Judge Would Most Like...

So we had plenty of rosettes for the shelter!

And he was very very good all around the classes, so patient waiting for his lift home and not at all bothered by his friend going first. He is the most amiable little chap.

Bless him. And who cares what some silly judge thinks anyway? We know that Ziggy should have won each class he went in, and bucking shows he is athletic and able to multi task between front and back legs. Spec Ziggy had a lovely day, and beige is a very classy colour!

Judges do show their preferences. There were 4 greys in the "Most Handsome Gelding" class, including a silver dun Connie who was to die for, and they were the last 4 in the line up.

newrider.com