Joining in the colic woes

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I left Jess naked yesterday but it turned out much colder than expected, the wind was really biting. I suspect she didn’t drink because she was too cold. She has also been having her first season of the year which is always uncomfortable for her.

When I arrived at 5pm for evening rounds she was grouchy and clingy. Then wouldn’t eat her dinner, nor her absolute favourite of warm sugarbeet, nor grass. She doesn’t roll and thrash when she’s sore, when it was a hospital job years ago she literally just laid still.

She had gut sounds, but less than normal. So we went out for a walk, even with Monkey getting upset and that worrying her, no poop.

When we got back she still had no interest in the sugarbeet. So I took her next door to one of the rested fields and we wandered around some more and she eventually tentatively started nibbling. I left her there while I pottered about sorting stuff out, by then she was more enthusiastic about the grass and I then offered the sugarbeet again and she ate half of it. So I left her out there.

Went back at 9.30 and we had 1 poo that looked quite normal, but she normally does 1 every 2 hours at least, so not entirely normal. The rest of the sugarbeet had gone too.

Checked in on the camera at midnight, 3am and 6am and she’s been happily grazing, so I haven’t rushed out early this morning but now heading down to count the full nights productivity! The camera is a godsend in these situations or I would have been driving back through the night to see if it had escalated and we needed to call the vet.

7 poos in 15 hours, and the last was a pleasingly sloppy pile from all that grass 👌 she was keen for hay this morning, though her face has gone from bright to grouchy while eating it so I’m thinking all is still not quite right yet and I’ll go easy on that today and put her back on the rested grass later.

Hmm she ate a bit and walked away to snooze, unusual for her to leave a scrap and I only put a couple of slices out, of course she may just be stuffed from all that grass but I’ll be keeping close watch.

Reactions: carthorse
This constantly changing weather is a nightmare. I hope she's back to normal next time you check her, and like @Mary Poppins I think that camera sounds like a big help.

Reactions: Jessey
When I got back at lunchtime she was poking around outside the hay shed looking for something to eat as Monkey had finished all that I’d put out earlier and she seemed bright. Gave some more hay and watched for half an hour and she seemed fine so I took Monkey out for a ride (I wouldn’t have left her on her own if she wasn’t feeling good). Then she woofed down dinner and came cantering round when I whistled them to let them on the grass! So I’d say she’s over it now 🤞

Just been down again, he was asleep has done another poo, gave him another feed of fast fibre with lots of water, he has veteran haylage to eat and left him in Sapphire's stable so he can be undisturbed. Let the three girls in and gave them their dinner.

He gave a whinnie when i went down this morning, has eaten all the haylage and fast fibre and done some poos, seems bright, replenished his feeding keep him in while he eats it then he can go out. Lights back on much perkier.

Reactions: domane and Huggy
Wonder why everyone seems to be seeing so much colic. That's 2 we have had both older horses/donkeys tintin is 26 Buddy 28 no changes in routine, wormed, dentals up to date, though will do them 2 x a year now to be safer. Yes we have had frost and i try to keep them off fields with frost but they have a big bale of hay on field, and haynets on front yard, and stables so unless you keep them OFF the fields most of the winter there is going to be frosty days and nights and they have plenty of easy food to eat rather than crop frozen grass. Only one who has had laminitis is Fleur. Vet says seeing lots of colic.

I think it's just how changeable this weather is, we had a 20c variation here in just a few days, plus storms/bad winds can mean they change their routines more, i.e. more looking for shelter or standing on guard than grazing. Jess has always been prone to colic, she has coliced twice just from eating too much hay when I had to switch from slow feed to free feed overnight...lesson learned there, I have to do it more gradually. She's also had sand colic, and multiple gas colics, it's just the way she has always been.

They do say older horses are more prone. I guess its just a sign of them ageing and the body not being so efficient. Frost is another killer. Ive never worried about frost before but i do know mine isnt a big drinker.

Im still not convinced Chunky is right. Without putting him in a separate paddock for a day to monitor poo output i cant be certain. But i saw small poos in the field this morning. It not his normal size. Hes getting twice a day wet feeds now. Thats worrying me though as potentially hes going to put more weight on with him doing no exercise. So that will add to the arthritis. Leg movement as hes fuller from food will also increase colic risk.

They do say older horses are more prone. I guess its just a sign of them ageing and the body not being so efficient. Frost is another killer. Ive never worried about frost before but i do know mine isnt a big drinker.

Im still not convinced Chunky is right. Without putting him in a separate paddock for a day to monitor poo output i cant be certain. But i saw small poos in the field this morning. It not his normal size. Hes getting twice a day wet feeds now. Thats worrying me though as potentially hes going to put more weight on with him doing no exercise. So that will add to the arthritis. Leg movement as hes fuller from food will also increase colic risk.
You know your horse, what's hard is knowing what to do when they're not "right". Trial and error, usually.:(

newrider.com