John Parkers yard (report).

Sumitra

Apr 29, 2004
merseyside
Visit site
Well I had a fabulous time. They are very friendly and very good. ery hands on, they have you tacking up and driving out on the lanes straight away.Loved driving. I am nervous hacking out but quickly settled in driving. Perhaps it was their lovely well trained horses/ponies. They say that the reason they are all light and responsive rides, even those used for complete novices i.e me is because they teach correctly from the start and so they are all properly driven all the time.I would HIGHLY recommend them.One of the ponies that I drove pulls Father Christmas in the HOYS.I also went out (but didn't drive!) a large caoch with 2 large greys and saw and emergency halt in action!

If you lear coachman rein handling from the start the ponies will remain easy going and light.

Two handed is so coarse.

I am glad you had a great time, he is in charge of all the youth stuff, so it's nice to know it's fun and interesting.

If you lear coachman rein handling from the start the ponies will remain easy going and light.

Two handed is so coarse.

I agree with you there Wally - much easier to learn the correct way, rather than having to unlearn the wrong way! ;)

Two handed does have it's place though.... don't fancy trying to do the hazards we did on Sunday coachman handed style!! :eek:

Nope, you are right, two handed for being a nutter, but coachman for learning and refining the art of driving.

The reason you don't have to drive coachman through the hazards is that coachman is designed for just that, coachmen, working long hard hours along roads and in towns, what was required was easy rein handling technique, with as little stress on the horses and on driver's hands and for precision work at low to meduim speeds! He would never be required to gallop X country negotiating obstacles at high speed! :D :D

I was just about to ask if anyone knew what the yard was like - and then I saw this thread!

I've asked my husband for a lesson there as a present for my birthday, and I'm so excited about going. Their website looks impressive, but it's good to know that other people have enjoyed going there.

newrider.com