Jodphurs and Hat info please!

ladiva

Aug 4, 2009
East Anglia
Hello!
I was just wondering if you folks can give me some feedback on your hats - what kind and what are they like - i am going to be getting one in a couple of weeks (borrowing ones from the stables at the moment which isnt always pleasant!) and there is so much choice i dont think by just trying them on in the shop i will be able to make my mind up!
I used to have a traditional velvet one which i think look nice but its not a fashion show after all so wondered what the others are like in comparison?!

Also i am after some new jodphurs / breeches. At the moment i am wearing jods that amazingly still fit me from my teens but think i am going to treat myself to a new pair! I am 28 and keep reading that jods are for kids and i should be wearing breeches and chaps. Which do i go for?! I am so confused!!!

I am 28 and keep reading that jods are for kids and i should be wearing breeches and chaps. Which do i go for?! I am so confused!!!

Just out of interest, where did you read this? Generally, kids don't wear breeches, but adults can wear jods or breeches, as they prefer. I think most people at my yard wear jods, and they are definitely adults! I prefer breeches, because i have very short legs, and have to roll jods up too many times.

If you like the velvet hats, get another one of them. Try on loads and see what fits you best, and what you like. If you get a skull cap, you can always get a nice velvet cover to go over it.

I love my gatehouse GS1, it;s a skull cap but in all honest this summer I haven't found it makes my head hot, yes it does sweat but not so that it annoys me.

I have a harry hall hat which I love. Its vented so it doesnt make me sweat as much as conventional hats, and was one of the cheaper models on the market.. think it was about £50.

I personally prefer jods to breeches, but just because I like them to cover the tops of my boots.

Thanks for the replies!

Gruntfuttock - when i decided to return to riding i was looking on the internet at jodphurs to buy and (excuse my numptiness) had to google the difference between jods and breeches as i wasnt sure what it was! - up came a load of forum results saying that generally jods are for kids! i didnt want to turn up at the stables and get taken the p$*s out of for wearing them!

At the minute i have jodphur boots so think i will get some more jods and maybe try breeches and chaps when i am a bit more flush!

As for the hat i like the idea of ventilation - my first lesson back i was a right sweaty betty - pretty distgusting i can tell you!

My Hat i use th emost is a charles Owen Pro 2 In pink! :D I love it! It fits perfectly! and is vented so stays nice and fresh! :D
It cost me around £100 which is quite pricey so i would recomend the Charles Owen Young Riders Skull. It costs about £40 and i know loads of adults that hav eone even though they are called "Young Riders" dont let that put you off! They fit great and are very safe! :D
Any hat you get make sure you get it fitted correctly

I've got a Champion Ventair skull and it's been very comfortable in all the sweltering summer sunshine we've been having :D It looks smart with a black lycra cover on.

For jods, Harry Hall's 'Chester' style are comfy, cool and very reasonable (I paid £23 for a pair in a tack shop and £18 online).

CP

I'm 25 and wear both jods and short boots and chaps and also just jeans for the yard lol. I also wear Junior hats because I have an ickle head anyway and they're cheaper!

I'm nearly 40 and I wear jods more than breeches! (not keen onthe velcro round the bottom of breeches). I have Charles and Owen hats - they're a good fit, safe and have no VAT if you buy kids versions!

I've got 2 champion ventair hats :eek: one si the peaked version and te other unpeaked, so the unpeaked one for hunting and xc and the other for sj and day to day use. Very good hats :)

Jodhs I actually like the phoenix ones the best, and breeches i like the cotton naturals ones.

newrider.com