Jodhpurs, this might be a stupid question....

cookie84

Aug 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi, bought my first pair of jodhpurs today. They feel tight round my knees where the extra fabric is but are perfect fit everywhere else so wouldnt wanna go for bigger size as then would be loose around my waist. Is this normal? Sorry if this is a stupid question!!

They should be tight all over, but not restrictive. And they shouldn't dig in when you bend you knees. I have few pairs that have bands around the knees and find they they do dig in (although they fit everywhere else)

Most of the time, it is normal because most jodphurs have the raised knee pattern. They will stretch out and you will indeed get used to them :)

thanks for all you help, they fit perfect everywhere else, (tight but not restictive) just feel tighter around knee so reckon they should stretch after i've worn them in like you said! Cheers!

Yes, tis normal - you'll probably find the more pairs you buy over the years, there will be certain brands that fit better than others. I personally felt that they felt tight all over when I first bought mine - but they kind of loosened up - mind you, think I lost a few pounds over a few months with all the extra exercise I was getting with the horses etc.

Yes it is very normal! Mine were quite tight too when I got them. If they are cotton, wash them and them hang them to dry they will loosen up.

Stupid question continued ;)o_O:D

I have decided to buy jodhpurs again since riding mostly in jeans for years .

I ordered two pairs in two sizes and I just cannot decide which ones to keep.

The difference? The one pair feels
Like "shaping" leggings ,which means they fit snugly and it feels like everything is being "held" .i can move and bend in them so they are not restrictive but you just "know" you are wearing them. Slightly tighther on the calves and when I take them off after wearing them for 15mins or so I have light red marks from some -but not all of the seams .

I recall having this when I was younger too wearing jodhpurs ...

The other pair are what you would classify as comfortable, could wear all day. Would most likely forget I have them on. As I don't even feel them on my calves. But could sag after a while .

Do I go for the could wear all day or for the snug fit ? (Don't need a belt on either)
They are both boot cut so..
help :confused:

Most jods stretch.But they should not be tight behind the knee. Neither should long boots. Victorian gentemen used to suffer a known syndrme from restricted circulation caused by tight riding boots.
When you actually sit on a horse your thigh muscles may expand a bit (contract - short and thicker) and the slack is taken up, So try sitting astride a chair and see how it feels. You need to be able to relax your knees and feet and toes when riding.
If you ride Engish the tightness below the knee (or half chaps|) is to stop cloth or your skin catching in the English stirrup leathers. But it is fine to ride in Jeans and many men do so.

If I wear anything that leaves a red mark it doesn't fit.
A fitting item to me is something you forget about. Something that you fiddle with or cuts of circulation is going to be uncomfortable.

Reactions: Trewsers
If I wear anything that leaves a red mark it doesn't fit.
A fitting item to me is something you forget about. Something that you fiddle with or cuts of circulation is going to be uncomfortable.

Yep any marks means it doesn't fit like it should. I have even gotten fussier over the years with stretchy skinny jeans lol I won't buy any without at least three percent lycra, otherwise I feel like an over stuffed sausage and most likely resemble one!

Most jods stretch.But they should not be tight behind the knee. Neither should long boots. Victorian gentemen used to suffer a known syndrme from restricted circulation caused by tight riding boots.
When you actually sit on a horse your thigh muscles may expand a bit (contract - short and thicker) and the slack is taken up, So try sitting astride a chair and see how it feels. You need to be able to relax your knees and feet and toes when riding.
If you ride Engish the tightness below the knee (or half chaps|) is to stop cloth or your skin catching in the English stirrup leathers. But it is fine to ride in Jeans and many men do so.

Nice that lots of men ride in jeans...many women do so too :D:D:D:D:p ( I'm female so no castration of the crownjewels whilst riding )

Thanks.

I only had a suttle red mark along the top side of my leg where the seam is. Maybe 5cm long.

The knees are fine. Was just a question how tight is tight ...

Im used to wearing loose clothing generally which is why I am not sure ..

I have never had any red marks from seams when riding either in jeans or in breeches/jods. There are marks from tightness and marks from seams rubbing. I would avoid anything that rubs your skin or indents it due to tightness. To avoid jeans seams rubbing (if they are not seamed for riding in) the Western suggestion is that both sexes should wear a pair of ladies nylon tights under them on long rides. Really it all depends on your shape and the cut of the breeches. I have two rather expensive pairs of German breeches and the mid season pair are looser on me than the summer denim ones. Neither rub me.
But there will be younger riders on here who ride in leggings and dont have looseness on their legs at all. So this isnt something that someone can tell you on line. The great rule is to be comfortable. And the most t esting time for tighter jos and breeches is when you come to get on a tallish horse because then you do need to bend your left leg up close to you and be able to bend the knee freely, or you wont reach the stirrup.

Is worth noting that some jodphurs are just uncomfortable to you.
I love my endurance pair and it took while to find similar. I avoid the full suede seat it's really uncomfortable for me but others love them.

newrider.com