Jobs sorted so now what? Move!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Okay so job is okay, nothing special but great location so can't complain.

But I'm still not happy, still don't feel settled. I want to move yards now once ale is better, none in the area I would be happy with due to travellers. They are horrible and abusive towards us and the horses and I don't feel safe. So guess that means next on the agenda is moving!!

Not sure if this would be with my bf or without not sure he is ready for it. Obviously would have to find a job somewhere near a good yard, but where would you suggest moving to? Within a couple of hours of south London ideally. I'm looking to buy a place so ideally with low house prices (of there is such a thing haha)! I have a 20k deposit saved but I realise if I'm doing it on my own that isn't going to go far and also my wage of 17.5k isn't going to get me a big mortgage.

Any advice or wisdom? Ideally this will be in the next year or so

If I was in your position, I would wait until you are settled completely in your job and you know it holds good security before taking on a mortgage. It would be a shame to loose your house/savings if things went pearshaped.Granted you did say it would be in a year you would be looking to buy so I suspect you had that in mind anyway :)

By yourself you can only get a x 3.5 your salary loan for a house, I think, so your looking at house prices less than 80k with your deposit. Maybe you could use that figure as base to find the nearest place with house prices around than figure...

You can get a mortgage right now for 4 x salary some lenders will go as high as 4.5 x salary, you should still be able to get Help to Buy in a years time too, although if you use the Help to Buy on a resale property the interest rates I'm told are quite high.
But you'd have to be in the same job for a while and you also need to not have moved house to many times too, lenders don't like it so bear that in mind also.
I think you need to find a job that you enjoy and stick with it before you even think about buying a house but that is just the sensible old person advice, you have to do what feels right for you at the end of the day.

That close to LOndon it's unlikely you'll get enough to buy anything more than a shoebox :( and as others have pointed out, job-hopping with a mortgage is risky and there might be an issue with you not having been in the job long enough to provide enough payslips etc. you never seem to be happy with where you are/where you work/who you're with? Not meant as a criticism, just an observation. good luck with whatever you decide to to.

Well my job is okay, I can imagine me staying in it for a while, possibility of getting a store transfer one day perhaps so that means I will of been in a job for a while and hopefully have some security! And I'm not really sure where the other stores are but perhaps that's a good place to start?

I'm struggling to find a job I enjoy so reckon I need to be more realistic and just make a life that I enjoy. Ideally I would like my bf to come with me wherever I go which would make things much easier but I won't force him into it. Thanks for the advice :)

That close to LOndon it's unlikely you'll get enough to buy anything more than a shoebox :( and as others have pointed out, job-hopping with a mortgage is risky and there might be an issue with you not having been in the job long enough to provide enough payslips etc. you never seem to be happy with where you are/where you work/who you're with? Not meant as a criticism, just an observation. good luck with whatever you decide to to.

I'm never am, I'm not sure why. I just haven't ever found a place where I fit in and I always dream that there is something better out there so I always keep looking.

I'm a total odd pin, I love cycling and being outdoors and don't care about how I look, love animals etc (you get the idea blah blah) and I live in a place where everyone cares about how they look and there's no room for animals and everyone seems to enjoy talking about spreadsheets and x factor (im being dramatic lol)

I don't know where you're based now, but wouldn't your best bet be to plan to stay in the job for at least six months and save as much as you can, then look round for a place to buy in the same area?

I'm sure if you stay in one place long enough, you'll meet people who are more interested in animals than clothes and make-up - there are plenty of them around, although there are also people who like both !

I'm never am, I'm not sure why. I just haven't ever found a place where I fit in and I always dream that there is something better out there so I always keep looking.

I'm a total odd pin, I love cycling and being outdoors and don't care about how I look, love animals etc (you get the idea blah blah) and I live in a place where everyone cares about how they look and there's no room for animals and everyone seems to enjoy talking about spreadsheets and x factor (im being dramatic lol)

Sometimes I feel like this as well, but I think a lot of it comes down to perception. At the moment I feel like a complete outsider in my new job. I don't fit. I'm different. But that's because its not been working. Its easier for me to say its because I'm different, because I am not the stereotypical accountant person that they all are. It helps protect me from worrying its because they don't like me (and really the truth is, I am not good with new folk, I take a bit of getting used to lol!) But I'm persevering as you can generally find common ground with a lot of folk - you just have to scratch the surface. You're not so different from folk Ale. Yes, there's a societal norm that most folk revolve around, but no one is the same. Lots of folk like cycling, like being outdoors, don't like xfactor ( I hate it!) but I'm mates with folk who love it and I just tease them senseless about it. Quit shoving folk in boxes (yourself as well) and get to know some individuals. 'Everyone' is a huge generalisation. Dig a little deeper. I'm sure that's not true.

I don't know where you're based now, but wouldn't your best bet be to plan to stay in the job for at least six months and save as much as you can, then look round for a place to buy in the same area?

I'm sure if you stay in one place long enough, you'll meet people who are more interested in animals than clothes and make-up - there are plenty of them around, although there are also people who like both !

Yes I plan in staying in it for up to a year or so now.

I've lived in the same place since I was 7 and had my horse at the same yard for the 5 years I've owned him so I think I've given this area its chance :)

Sometimes I feel like this as well, but I think a lot of it comes down to perception. At the moment I feel like a complete outsider in my new job. I don't fit. I'm different. But that's because its not been working. Its easier for me to say its because I'm different, because I am not the stereotypical accountant person that they all are. It helps protect me from worrying its because they don't like me (and really the truth is, I am not good with new folk, I take a bit of getting used to lol!) But I'm persevering as you can generally find common ground with a lot of folk - you just have to scratch the surface. You're not so different from folk Ale. Yes, there's a societal norm that most folk revolve around, but no one is the same. Lots of folk like cycling, like being outdoors, don't like xfactor ( I hate it!) but I'm mates with folk who love it and I just tease them senseless about it. Quit shoving folk in boxes (yourself as well) and get to know some individuals. 'Everyone' is a huge generalisation. Dig a little deeper. I'm sure that's not true.

Every day when I cycle to work I get yelled at by men, kids, teenage girls in the street, this morning I got called a wanker and a prick. Yesterday I had a football thrown at me. I'm not saying there isnt great people out there or there is anything wrong with liking different things to me, just I seem to live in an area with a lot of dicks. I'd just like to move to find a better yard for my horse and buy a place of my own, if I still don't fit in that's fine, I just don't like London too much

Such good sense, Flipo's Mum. My daughter's an accountant and couldn't be more different from the stereotype - and that goes for a lot of her friends too... But you can't tell by looking at them.

Every day when I cycle to work I get yelled at by men, kids, teenage girls in the street, this morning I got called a wanker and a prick. Yesterday I had a football thrown at me. I'm not saying there isnt great people out there or there is anything wrong with liking different things to me, just I seem to live in an area with a lot of dicks. I'd just like to move to find a better yard for my horse and buy a place of my own, if I still don't fit in that's fine, I just don't like London too much

That sounds horrible, Ale! Do they do that to everyone? Is it just your street, or the local area?

That sounds horrible, Ale! Do they do that to everyone? Is it just your street, or the local area?

I'm just a target, just seems to be near where I live really as its a rough area, but then close to the yard I get the same from the travellers. And in between I get road rage haha

The Thames Valley is all pretty expensive. You could probably buy a flat though with £80K, but it's unlikelly you'd get a house. More sensible to buy on your own unless you're completely sure that your boyfriend is The One - joint mortgages are (almost) as hard to disentangle from as marriages! You can get a decent one bed flat in High Wycombe for that - the town itself is no great shakes but has good transport links and the surrounding countryside is amazing with loads of horsey stuff going on.

That's awful:devil:
Can't imagine anything like that happening here. I hope you get where you want to be, I'd be looking to move too.

newrider.com