Jobs,careers and all that jazz!!

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
I arent sure what to do. I am in a job which... i do enjoy the field i work within i guess. But i dont enjoy where i am at the moment.
I have thought about coming out of the NHS all together and i would like to teach riders... something to do with animals. I intially thought of dog walking,things like that. But thought it wouldnt be something that would pay as there is alot of Competition around here. I have thought about doing some of my BHS exams and got some more information on this. Their are some training centres near me that do it. Then i thought about racing... or something freelance.. to do with animals. Though i looked at racing and the money is ok tbh but i am on more in my current role. Im a tad stuck.

I've always said that if you want a horse as a hobby then don't work with them, too many times I've seen people find their own horse becomes just another one to do. Also in most cases the hours are long and the money isn't great, it seems to be a line of work where they may say your hours are, for example, 9am to 5pm but they're likely to end up as 5am to 9pm more often than you'd believe!

Dog walking & pet sitting are very much in demand where I am despite a lot of people already doing it, but you do need to have proper insurance in case anything goes wrong and remember that you'll be taxed on what you earn so what you take in isn't what you've got available. Also factor in that if you're self employed you have no sick pay, no holiday pay and if you don't want to lose clients you'll probably have to pay someone to provide cover if you can't walk them. It sounds like a great job in the summer but I'm not sure how keen I'd be in the winter!

Does it have to be work with animals, or would a different career be enough? What sort of things interest you?

Did you get the job you were talking about the interview of?

Dog walking I know someone who has built themselves up, but it's part time. You are self employed but they balance it with another p/t job. That way they walk the dogs every afternoon, and since they already own a dog it's a win win as they are selective on who they take on to run with theirs.

I wouldn't want to be with horses and have one. Long hours for pretty rubbish pay and I hate riding in the rain these days. I don't mind lunging and dog walking in it-I know go figure, but I think it's the cost of the saddles I begrudge trashing them in filth.

If you want to get into racing you need to get the diploma that allows you to work as a racing groom initially. But I believe the courses to go to train as jockey have an upper age limit of 22. The pay can be good with your "perks" and live in expenses paid etc.

I've always said that if you want a horse as a hobby then don't work with them, too many times I've seen people find their own horse becomes just another one to do. Also in most cases the hours are long and the money isn't great, it seems to be a line of work where they may say your hours are, for example, 9am to 5pm but they're likely to end up as 5am to 9pm more often than you'd believe!

Dog walking & pet sitting are very much in demand where I am despite a lot of people already doing it, but you do need to have proper insurance in case anything goes wrong and remember that you'll be taxed on what you earn so what you take in isn't what you've got available. Also factor in that if you're self employed you have no sick pay, no holiday pay and if you don't want to lose clients you'll probably have to pay someone to provide cover if you can't walk them. It sounds like a great job in the summer but I'm not sure how keen I'd be in the winter!

Does it have to be work with animals, or would a different career be enough? What sort of things interest you?
Yeh i guess it is more 5am til 9pm!!! Ywh i never actually thought about that!
Very true i guess it doesnt have to be with animals no. But i do like the outdoors

Did you get the job you were talking about the interview of?

Dog walking I know someone who has built themselves up, but it's part time. You are self employed but they balance it with another p/t job. That way they walk the dogs every afternoon, and since they already own a dog it's a win win as they are selective on who they take on to run with theirs.

I wouldn't want to be with horses and have one. Long hours for pretty rubbish pay and I hate riding in the rain these days. I don't mind lunging and dog walking in it-I know go figure, but I think it's the cost of the saddles I begrudge trashing them in filth.

If you want to get into racing you need to get the diploma that allows you to work as a racing groom initially. But I believe the courses to go to train as jockey have an upper age limit of 22. The pay can be good with your "perks" and live in expenses paid etc.
Nope sadly i didnt i was one mark off :(
I spoke to donny racing school who said as i already have experience i can either see if a trainer could train me up,or their are cpurses fpr people over the age limit of a ypung adult :D

I would never work with horses again, not for someone else anyway. I loved it, but as @carthorse says the hours were not what they layed out, get a sick horse and all that went out the window and no overtime pay either. By the time I had spent all day looking after other peoples horses I had little energy left for my own. I know quite a lot of people who have gone through racing school here in Newmarket, all ended up getting rid of their own horses as they couldn't manage their own and the hours racing required, and it didn't pay a lot.

Around here at least I think you have to choose, get paid reasonably or work outside/with animals, I've not seen both together or I'd be doing it :)

newrider.com