Jim pics 7 weeks after op

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
We're now 7 weeks after his colic op & he's as bright as a button. I've given up with the Sedalin, the last few days it hasn't stopping him cantering around so I figured he was better off without it. The last couple of mornings he's been like Tigger on drugs once I let him go! Anyway, here's the pics. How do you think he looks?

100_1050.jpg

100_1051.jpg

100_1052.jpg

100_1053.jpg

100_1054.jpg

100_1055.jpg

100_1056.jpg

100_1057.jpg

100_1058.jpg

100_1059.jpg

I always said I'd never put a horse of mine through colic surgery but I'm so glad I did. I hope that if any of you find yourself in the same dreadful position that he at least gives you a little bit of hope & reassurance.

He looks amazing !! What LOVELY dapples !! He looks like a larger version of my chestnut mare - always got to be chewing something or pawing the ground incase it reveals food !!! Well done both of you. :)

Thanks littlepony,I'm really really pleased with him but it's nice to get other views because I do wonder if I see what I want/need to.

I'm surprised the dapples are still so visible, he's growing winter coat already (it's the start of August!) & they normal disappear then, but this year they seem to be really marked still.

Unfortunately the chewing is cribbing :(. I'd hoped the Gastroguard to treat his ulcers would have reduced or even stopped that but it hasn't, I guess the habit is just too well established. It does mean he stands fairly still for photos though! As for the pawing in the hope he'll find food, well I do feed him but you'd never guess it by his reactions if he finds some that's been dropped :D

He is so handsome! Love his dapples, he looks in really top condition. Maybe give Hilton Herbs a call about his ulcers/cribbing. They have always been really helpful to me about my oldies digestive problems, you never know they may just be able to help.

Glad to see the Big Man looking so well.

Thanks for the suggestion KJW. I did try their Gastric-X (I think that's what it's called?) but he flatly refused to eat anything with even the tiniest amount in. Then I tried several individual herbs that they suggested but they either had no noticable effect or he refused to eat them. He's a fussy so & so :rolleyes:. I guess that if the GastroGard hasn't stopped him then probably nothing will. The only thing I can change about his lifestyle is to get him out more but at the moment he's the one choosing when he comes in. Until I can get him in with some others I don't think he'll do any longer, but then even when he's out all the time he still cribs. They're certainly very knowledgeable & helpful though, if I'm looking for herbs they're the first people I turn to.

This is the first I have seen of this, and I am so glad the surgery went well. He looks like a right cracker, and I am in love with his dapples! I am also very jealous of you're yard, it looks great!

He looks fabulous, great condition, especially for a Horse that cribs/windsucks.

He is a credit too you, I know how hard it can be to keep them in
as great condition having owned one myself, who incidently also loved
'Posts', lol.

Glad to hear he is making such a good recovery:)

looking great especially so soon after, some horses look poor for months!!!

Tribute to your care!!:)

Nikki xxxx

i am so glad you have posted these pics, i have always been under the impression that colic surgery recovery was a horrible process but like you say he looks as bright as a button. i am going to have a research as i am quite sad and like to be prepared for anything that might happen to my horses :)

he is stunning

Last edited:
one of our horses went for a colic surgery as he almost died and look at him now this happend 1 and a half year ago

n755762109_1803770_4862.jpg

4824_122053887109_755762109_3480266.jpg

4821_117359732109_755762109_3390986.jpg

4821_117359437109_755762109_3390980.jpg

3216_103242897109_755762109_3136401.jpg

he is a reg paint gelding 16.2 hands

Oooh thanks for those bad-_-habit, that's really encouraging!

VikkiG I was lucky that I picked up his colic very very early & he was treated by the vet straight away so at least we could make an early decision to get him to hospital & when it was clear surgery was needed he was in the best possible shape. Not to mention the fact that it was a "straightforward" surgery so there was less to recover from than some horses have to deal with. Even so it did take a lot out of him but he's a big character & very determined which I think acted in his favour this time, not to mention he wouldn't give up all the extra attention without a fight :p

Fairlady what is it about cribbers & posts? It's always posts! I bet he even dreams about the damn things :rolleyes:

He looks fantastic.

Your story is very inspirational and I hope if I ever find myself in that situation again (not that I want to that is;)) that I will remember that and it will give me something to think about.

When Forest got colic last year surgery was out of the question for him as he has a heart condition so I instead had to play the waiting game and just keep everything crossed (difficult as he was given a 10% survival rate). Luckily he pulled through, but it just goes to show that colic can really destroy a live.

I hope Jim continues to recover well, he doesn't look like hes been through anything, he really is a credit to you. :D

[QUOTE

Fairlady what is it about cribbers & posts? It's always posts! I bet he even dreams about the damn things :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Lol, I always looked on it as a 'fag after a meal' cos my Mare would eat and then go STRAIGHT TO HER FAVOURITE POST:p

On a more 'serious' note, but please don't take offence its a genuine question, My Mare was VERY prone to bouts of spasmodic Colic due to the
Windsucking/cribbing (she did both and would grab the post and gulp in
air) did they 'link' this bout of Colic to his 'habit' in any way?

Last edited:
I'm not taking offence fairlady, I asked the hospital if there was a link. They were certain there wasn't. His colic wasn't spasmodic, it was a displacement, and it happened after he hadn't been cribbing much - he'd come in from the field (nowhere to crib as in electric tape) & been ridden, then he'd been fed as normal & left for an hour or so in the stable. He wouldn't have stood & cribbed non-stop for that time, it's not his style, & anyway the gas build up was right back in his caecum. But it's a fair question & thanks for thinking of it.

lol, glad it didn't cause offence, I KNOW how 'protective' people can
get when you have a Horse that has a 'vice', I know I was always trying
to explain/excuse my Girls 'habit':) and people would feel the need to 'give their advice' or 'make a derogatory comment'.

My TB Mare's spasmodic Colic was definately due to her Windsucking/Cribbing, her habit was quite chronic tbh and although I did
get her to gain weight and also got her VERY fit, (to the point I was
'totally overhorsed, lol) there was days she hardly MOVED from the post.

I just wondered if they had 'linked' the two, or done the 'it's almost
inevitable because of the windsucking' comment;)

PERHAPS it was just MY Vet at the time, cos if my Horse was lame he would blame it on her Windsucking/Cribbing, lol, I guess in all honesty
time has moved on and thankfully there is more 'knowledge/awareness' now. I AM going back a fair few years to when I owned that
Mare.

However, let me tell you, the sad little pathetic Windsucker/Cribber TB that I bought for £200, got fit and up to weight, put lots of work into and actually owned for almost 5 years, probably 2 of which I was totally 'overhorsed', but thankfully survived, went on to successfully 3 day
event when I sold her, lol.

Last edited:
newrider.com