Jess update

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Where to start, over the past 6 weeks she had been gradually improving and I was happy but something happened last week and she was lamer again, I assumed in her foot as there wasn't any swelling or obvious cuts etc, by Wednesday I couldn't tell which leg was sore but one def was, and turns were bad. My friend came to visit this weekend and was giving her a once over and immediately pointed out heat in her left fore fetlock that I hadn't noticed :( its 5c hotter than the other, so I've been icing it twice a day, I have no clue what she's done to herself now, my worry is the vet was right when she came out last month about suspensories and jess's temper tantrums at only being allowed a few hours grass each day last week has irritated things. My friend does rekki so gave her 2 good sessions and the lameness is now def left fore, whatever the right was has eased. Icing the LF fetlock does seem to bring significant relief for her.
My farrier is due out this afternoon, so I'll get his input and see if he thinks this is something new/different then call the vet to make an appointment for tomorrow if need be :(

My feeling is this is something else, which is kind of good, in that the original issue would have resolved, I just want my horse to stop hurting herself in the field :( the anti box rest person would actually happily box rest her pony right now (or wrap head to toe in bubble wrap) if she wasn't likely to do herself even more injury in the stable :(

Oh poor Jess and poor, poor you, it's been such a long rollercoaster. If only they could talk or more to the point, if only they would listen when you tell them not to try river dance when they aren't sound! Good luck with the farrier. Hopefully it is something else that is quantifiable and treatable - I'll keep everything crossed!

Reactions: Jessey
Oh heck, sending lots of good vibes. I sooooooo feel for you both, the dam box rest thing vs turnout.....such a problem, I was like this on and off most of last year. I really hope things come good for you both. I remember icing myself, I bought the ice boots, shires ones for madam. Wish you knew exactly what was going on.

Is it worth a light sedative to keep her in ? Much as it's not an ideal solution, something for the greater good maybe ? :(

Oh gosh, what a tricky situation. No advice but I just want to let you know I am thinking of you xx

Is it worth a light sedative to keep her in ? Much as it's not an ideal solution, something for the greater good maybe ? :(
I'm waiting to see the farrier later, after I've trotted her up and decided what we think is going on and booked the vet if need be, I have a tube of sedalin if I feel she needs to be restricted and plays up over it. She's been on the grass full time since Friday, so she's much, much calmer but its the toss up between the lami risk and acting a twit :rolleyes: it seems you're always between a rock and a hard place with things like this :(

Oh no, I was hoping for a happy update. Poor Jess and poor you, this has been such a long haul. Good luck with the farrier, keep us updated.

Not much news really, farrier is basically a bit stumped, says suspensories are a possibility but unlikely and he feels its the same issue, he was also a bit late which meant by the time we looked at her I was too late to book the vet for tomorrow without it being considered an emergency call.
On trot up she's landing toe first on the lf, before at least she was landing flat, so we've left the shoes off for now and are going to see how she looks in a few days, then boot and pad and handwalk, it gives us time to talk to the vet again and consider what our plan of action should be going forward.

The last few days have been tough, I just don't know what to do for the best, I expected her to be pig lame the day after removing shoes but she suprised me trotting down the field looking much sounder, I would say 1/10 compared to 4/10 before, but she is horribly sore when she turns tightly :( she's happy enough in herself, still had a good hoon about last night (divits the length of the field today), time to call the vet again me thinks.

newrider.com