Jess' slightly fat leg - update

That's so odd - not helping here!

She's not knocking it or striking into it? Twisting it very slightly? How good is her foot balance - could it be a slight strain there or inside the hoof that shows higher up because the foot can't swell much? Little In sometimes gets slight swelling if he's due to be shod and they've got slightly past his ok length, but then his feet are a mess inside.
I haven't noticed her knocking or twisting it, her limb flight isn't the straightest - she swings the foot in and back out to place it, but that's not entirely abnormal for her. Balance was great when we Xrayed in June (this was happening then but with less frequency), but I did 'correct' the heel balance maybe a month ago, but maybe she needs it a little 'off' with her now less than perfect knees, you may have me onto something there, definitely worth looking into some more :) I have been thinking about getting my farrier friend out to have a look but he is currently very lame with an injured hip and although I know he would come, I have been putting it off hoping he feels better soon but I think I need to ask him to look at least.

Reactions: carthorse
Part of my plan for Jess' fat leg is to bandage in the hopes of preventing it swelling, but I have sat here for the last hour reaslising it has been a very long time since I applied anything other than a basic below knee to fetlock bandage using quilts/exercise bandages or polo wraps :p Her swelling is from coronet/heel to fetlock, how the piddle do you bandage that bit and what with? ;)

I have; polo wraps, exercise wraps, shaped pads, quilts, gamgee, vet wrap in my kit, probably more if I think about it
ETA: or is it better to cheat and order some mud fever/turnout boots or cavallo pastern wraps that go right down over the coronet and hope they are snug enough to help? or tubigrip?
And here I am with those straws again, what about inflatable armbands, that could give compression........o_O
Don’t forget that if you bandage to reduce swelling and it works the bandages will become loose. Is she turned out? I think I’d go down the the turn out sock route.

Don’t forget that if you bandage to reduce swelling and it works the bandages will become loose. Is she turned out? I think I’d go down the the turn out sock route.
Yep she's out, but the swelling is very minimal and I only intend to bandage (initially) for a couple of hours after exercise to prevent the swelling.

Reactions: Mossy
If Tubigrip helps, which I find gives me very little support, then I wonder if one of the slightly better ankle or wrist supports you can get in the chemists would have a better effect? Or vet wrap on the area so you can apply more tension? At least it seems to be doing something though!

Reactions: Jessey
If Tubigrip helps, which I find gives me very little support, then I wonder if one of the slightly better ankle or wrist supports you can get in the chemists would have a better effect? Or vet wrap on the area so you can apply more tension? At least it seems to be doing something though!
I think I would end up using a lot of vet wrap when we are riding daily, but possibly worth trying. I did double up the tubigrip which worked better. I'll have to look at the better supports, but I think generally they are shaped, so not sure they would work. I might look at buying some Silver Whinnys if the tubigrip continues to help, they can also double as fly protection for her sensitive self in summer :)
FB_IMG_1572855060529.jpg

Reactions: carthorse
Everything seems to help a little but not a lot, bandaging doesn't really get the right spot, the tubigrip seems to help a little if applied doubled up, I got the equine magnatix at YHL and putting both on back legs seems to help but she poops in them and if I put them on front legs the swelling is worse so she is currently sporting one on the opposite front leg only. Oddly the area that swells has had really dry, flakey skin (have sent the vet a video) for the last couple of weeks. She's still sound so just carrying on trying different things when ever anything occurs to me to try really.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com