Jazz is poorly and not doing so well.

Cochise

Jun 3, 2002
Auckland, New Zealand
Missed call on phone as driving home last night. Listened to voicemail, was YO saying Jazz was down with colic again, vet on the way.

Got through to her and she said vet arrived.

The whole walk down the 500m driveway, she tried to lie down twice in the pouring rain before YO could get her into the barn. She was covered in wet mud and sweating profusely under her rug. It took the vet and YO to get the cover off her as it was so sodden with water and mud. She then tried to lie down on the concrete in the barn. Eventually, they got her into a box where she lay down and cast herself in the corner.

The vet and YO had to drag her out of the corner to get her up. When the vet did get to listen to her tummy, he was really concerned because this time he couldn't hear ANY activity. Her temperature was okay, but heartrate really fast.

He couldn't give her muscle relaxant this time, but gave her the opposite, to get things moving. After ten minutes, things started happening inside again. Eventually they gave her some hay and she was straight into eating it, which made the vet happier.

YO deserves a sainthood as she got up at 11pm and 2am to give her bute.

I arrived at 7am and Jazz was looking alert and ok.
Excuse the crappiness of the photos, they were in bad light off my phone and Jazz wouldn't stand still.
IMG286.jpg

She was covered in dried mud, so I put a sweatshirt over my work clothes and started scrubbing her clean.

IMG288.jpg

She must have been in a lot of pain and she's very tucked up, losing a bit of weight through it all, poor darling. But we need to be so careful about reintroducing food, looking at how she is eating and what she is eating... more about that later...

I put her back in the box and watched her walk around. She's not passed any manure yet.

IMG291.jpg

IMG292.jpg

We gave her a bit more hay. YO is going to keep her inside for a few days and walk her out for some handgrazing sessions each day.

We will talk about feeding options, paddocks and how we're going to manage her after we have talked to the vet again by Saturday. There could be a blockage somewhere. She may have guts down her hay and haylege on Monday night. The vet isn't sure, but he may do an internal exam (gloved arm up the bum) or it might come down to something a lot more expensive and involved.

Once when she was 18 months old. I had her on the same worming schedule as Cheeky and found out the hard way that babies need to be wormed more often. She got colic from an upset gut then.

Then about 4 months ago she had another episode where her tummy sounded like a volcano.

newrider.com