Jay - A bird I rarely see

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
jay2.jpg

A sight that has greeted me three times this week, twice at the yard, once on the way home :biggrin:

We have loads of them round here don't know why,but have you ever seen one while out riding ? I had three flying round us when on Ben one day,found it hard to believe such colourful almost exotic creatures are British.Think they came so close because they didn't recognise me as a threat just saw a pony really.

They are all over our heath, I see half a dozen driving in to Guildford to go to the station. I love them, they are so exotic looking.

And I heard a cuckoo today!

I get Jays at the field, not often as Rooks rule the roost up there.

My favourite bird is the humble Black bird, always nest in my garden, a pair are are being run ragged at the moment tending their fledglings.

Are lovely bird. Haven't seen any round my way. We get blue tits, finches, wrens, Robins, Great tits, thrushes, blackbirds:inlove: wood pigeons, Magpies, Kestrels, wood peckers. Atm I waiting for the Little owls to come and nest in my spare stable, they come every year and are really funny, I will post some pics when they come and hatch.

I also have a foxes den and abundant rabbits plus pheasants. I am so lucky to have them all in one small area, not sure why? They all seem to find space for each other and I rarely feed, just very occassionally in winter when ground is frozen or snowie i put some meal worms and bird seed out. Saw Mr and Mrs Fox yesterday and they are both looking fat and healthy:happy: They seem to live on weak rabbits and wood pigeons, road kill etc. We have a sunny bank. In late spring the cubs come out and play on the bank with mum or dad keeping a keen eye. I love the wildlife nearly as much as the horses. It is a real joy.

Exotic looks but predators.
They don't get to live long around here like the magpies.

Apparently the humble Jackdaw turns it's claws at anything, along with the Crow... both omnivores
Just found this in wikipedia - Crows reach sexual maturity around the age of 3 years for females and 5 years for males. Some crows may live to the age of 20, and the oldest known American crow in the wild was almost 30 years old.
The American crow is very susceptible to the recently introduced North American strain of West Nile virus. American crows usually die within one week of acquiring the disease with only very few surviving exposure. Crows are so affected by the disease that their deaths are now serving as an indicator of the West Nile Virus’ activity in an area.

Last edited:
Apparently the humble Jackdaw turns it's claws at anything, along with the Crow... both omnivores

Eat anything and everything. Have loads of those too and ravens are on the rise here.
Highly intelligent beasts.
One narrowly missed me doing a fly by with a golf ball once. They pick them up thinking they are eggs I assume.

newrider.com