January CHIT CHAT 2023

You should start taking their names/addresses and tell them they will receive a bill if the ewe miscarries or goes into shock!
Some people just think it’s a fun game between dog and sheep/horse/cow, idiots!

Feeling very peeved as someones dog got in the field with all the inlamb sheep and spent 10 minutes chasing them round on sunday. I was actually feeding the sheep at the time. I eventually managed to catch the dog but only after a good 10 minutes of chasing. One sheep got singled out and sent off down the bottom of the 10 acres field. The other were forced to rush into the woods.
Owners barely called the dog even though i was yelling at them to call it. Didnt even rush to get hold of it. I eventually got hold of it. Needless to say thay got an earful from me about it having no recall and that it should be kept on a lead.
Horses were on the other side of the fence and even they bolted off up the field. Poor chunky was crippled the next day.
I am so cross for you. How ruddy dare they let it do that. I would have been furious. Argh. What is wrong with some people.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I was going to ask for his details but i was so upset i just wanted him gone. He even had the cheek to ask me how he could get out the field after i handed him his dog back. My reply was the same way you got in probably. Did he expect me to go and open a gate.
It was a real struggle trying to convince a bunch of sheep to come out the woods to finish there breakfast.
Honestly i just cried. I didnt sleep sunday night and then had a bad migraine in the middle of the night.

I was going to ask for his details but i was so upset i just wanted him gone. He even had the cheek to ask me how he could get out the field after i handed him his dog back. My reply was the same way you got in probably. Did he expect me to go and open a gate.
It was a real struggle trying to convince a bunch of sheep to come out the woods to finish there breakfast.
Honestly i just cried. I didnt sleep sunday night and then had a bad migraine in the middle of the night.
That is so unfair that you experienced that. Some folk have no respect for the countryside at all. Whilst I agree it should be accessible to everyone, I think people should be considerate and mindful of the fact they are probably walking on some elses property. If the boot were on the other foot, wonder how they'd feel if you showed up on their doorstep with your dog and left their garden gate open after your dog had chased their dog around! I know it's not the same but it really irks me.

I need a vent. Vet came out yesterday for Hogan and B's vaccs. Had a real go at B's owner (won't go into that, it's her business) then it was my turn. He's too fat - I know, I give him nothing bar 3 handfuls (I really mean handfuls - not scoops, not double handfuls) of graze on, with half a carrot. "Oh that's like giving him a giant chocolate bar. You need a high trace clip, no rug. He should be shivering as much as possible, all winter. Nothing to eat but minimal hay. Clip out in the summer, all summer. " I mentioned his tantrums while hacking and leading out, wondered about Ph levels, as Pepo had mentioned. "He's a gelding - progesterone levels have nothing to do with a geldings moods" WTF?. For whatever reason, she asked me to trot him up. He's sound in walk, but due to hoolies in the field, slightly lame in trot. " Right. Rest him for 2 weeks, and I'll come back - if he's still lame, we'll do investigations" No you effing won't- £500 or more over one incident of lameness that I KNOW the cause of. YO was upset, but I was fuming. I got the impression this was all a money spinner - she wanted to come back for B as well . When she left we both felt like horrible owners who were ill treating our horses. I've been upset and edgy ever since.

Yes but i dont shoot.
Trust me if i did that dog would have been a gonna.
The sheep are actually grazing on my neighbours land. He owns a gun and often goes up to shot rabbits. So had he been there he may have shot it.

I need a vent. Vet came out yesterday for Hogan and B's vaccs. Had a real go at B's owner (won't go into that, it's her business) then it was my turn. He's too fat - I know, I give him nothing bar 3 handfuls (I really mean handfuls - not scoops, not double handfuls) of graze on, with half a carrot. "Oh that's like giving him a giant chocolate bar. You need a high trace clip, no rug. He should be shivering as much as possible, all winter. Nothing to eat but minimal hay. Clip out in the summer, all summer. " I mentioned his tantrums while hacking and leading out, wondered about Ph levels, as Pepo had mentioned. "He's a gelding - progesterone levels have nothing to do with a geldings moods" WTF?. For whatever reason, she asked me to trot him up. He's sound in walk, but due to hoolies in the field, slightly lame in trot. " Right. Rest him for 2 weeks, and I'll come back - if he's still lame, we'll do investigations" No you effing won't- £500 or more over one incident of lameness that I KNOW the cause of. YO was upset, but I was fuming. I got the impression this was all a money spinner - she wanted to come back for B as well . When she left we both felt like horrible owners who were ill treating our horses. I've been upset and edgy ever since.
That’s not a vet I’d be having back if I had any choice in the matter, I don’t mind being told my animal is fat/lame or whatever else but it has to be done in a tactful way and definitely no belittling!

I need some nr vibes please. I was dagging some dirty ram bums yesterday. No clippers so i did it with scissors. The scissor action has caused me rsi just above the wrist and i was in pain last night. Used cold packs and deep freeze gel on it last night. Today i bandaged it to go to work. Ive dropped loads of things. Ive just got home a taken the bandage off and my arm has a massive lump where it hurts most. I cant even open and close my fingers with pain shooting up the arm. More cold packs going back on in a minute as soon as ive eaten dinner. Its only inflammation but by god does it flippin hurt.

• Wow
Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
I need some nr vibes please. I was dagging some dirty ram bums yesterday. No clippers so i did it with scissors. The scissor action has caused me rsi just above the wrist and i was in pain last night. Used cold packs and deep freeze gel on it last night. Today i bandaged it to go to work. Ive dropped loads of things. Ive just got home a taken the bandage off and my arm has a massive lump where it hurts most. I cant even open and close my fingers with pain shooting up the arm. More cold packs going back on in a minute as soon as ive eaten dinner. Its only inflammation but by god does it flippin hurt.
That sounds very painful indeed. Lots of vibes coming, try and rest as much as you can (not easy when you have animals).

Has anyone else noticed the wildlife being very active at the moment. Maybe because its gone so mild here.
A little deer ran across the road in front of the car tonight. Well i say ran but actually it walked and if i had been going quicker than the 25mph id have hit it.

The foxes are being mental. The other morning i was down putting out the hay bales for the next few days. One fox was laying watching me as i drove down the field. Never moved. Then in the other field 2 were busy making babies. Yes seriously. They were properly interlocked. Female was trying her best to get away as she saw me as a threat. The male was having none of it even as i walked towards them. He couldnt have cared less.

This morning while i was lunging 3 foxes were flying round in and out of the conifer trees that have been felled. But omg the noise, barks, squealing, yelps. Again not bothered that i was only a short distance away. Just been outside now and there still making a racket.

Woody woodpeckers been very active and the buzzard was also hunting the other morning. He sits frequently at the bottom of our field in the ash tree. Theres a few mature trees there and im sure he has a nest. Hes been there a couple of years now.

Sorry to hear that.

If it helps, at all, my vet's still don't think potassium is an issue - we just smile & nod. They forget PTS was discussed at one point but never mind!

The potassium levels come from the grass/hay etc and not linked to their hormones.

Have you managed to get a reading out of curiosity?

If he is overweight, clipping might help - I don't think they should be shivering but it has definitely helped Pete in the past to work a bit harder keeping warm when he can't exercise so much for any reason. You could soak hay or feed straw mix so he can still have plenty of fibre going through rather than minimal hay.

You're absolutely not a bad owner but if they need to lose a few pounds, now is the last chance before Spring and it gets even harder - sometimes vet's mean well but forget the client service part of their role if they've had a bad day.

Perhaps you could ask for a different vet to come out? I've done that before.

Keep your chin up though as it is hard being owned by a good doer!

Last edited:
Reactions: Huggy
Sorry to hear that.

If it helps, at all, my vet's still don't think potassium is an issue - we just smile & nod. They forget PTS was discussed at one point but never mind!

The potassium levels come from the grass/hay etc and not linked to their hormones.

Have you managed to get a reading out of curiosity?

If he is overweight, clipping might help - I don't think they should be shivering but it has definitely helped Pete in the past to work a bit harder keeping warm when he can't exercise so much for any reason. You could soak hay or feed straw mix so he can still have plenty of fibre going through rather than minimal hay.

You're absolutely not a bad owner but if they need to lose a few pounds, now is the last chance before Spring and it gets even harder - sometimes vet's mean well but forget the client service part of their role if they've had a bad day.

Perhaps you could ask for a different vet to come out? I've done that before.

Keep your chin up though as it is hard being owned by a good doer!
I had some strips from a friend, but they were really hard to read. Christmas cane and I got distracted, but sent of fir more, which were nice and simple. I sat waiting for him to pee yesterday (2 bloody hours in the freezing cold!) but gave up. I put them in my back pocket when I took him out today, just in case, and they fell out on our walk! Going to retrace our steps tomorrow and see if I can find them. Thanks forvthe heads up about soaking hay - I forgot that!

Has he got over his lameness niggle @Huggy. Did you need to bute him.
It's almost imperceptible - sound in walk, very slight in trot. No bute (yet). We didn't trot today, but I'll try a short one on the lane as we get home. His leg seems fine, no heat or swelling, likewise with the foot. I'm convinced it's his shoulder, after shenanigans on the hard frosty field.

A very kind person found my strips and put them on the gatepost into the inclosure. So, he just needs to pee while I'm around!

Reactions: Jessey
When Robin was really ill vet thought about testing urine. I was full of confidence as every bloomin time I makes his feed he pees. So vet hovered waiting to collect while I noisily made a feed. Nothing! Vet thought he might be shy so looked away. Nope. He then hid round the corner while I made another feed. Well we are still waiting😂

• Haha
Reactions: Trewsers
@Huggy your vet sounds horrid and as if she is in it for the money. I'd not have her back if I were you.

As for Hogan's weight,
clipping might help
Clipping this year has certainly helped Sid. He has had more exercise this winter too, at least once a week and twice a week most weeks, but the biggest difference between this year and last has been a blanket clip and he has lost tons more weight that last winter. He is well rugged and I have never seen him shiver, but I think it just keeps his metabolism going.

foxes are being mental
They certainly are! The vixens always scream fit to bust at this time of year, but every day I am seeing a big dog fox sloping across the field or just eyeballing me from the hedge while I do something with the horses. It's a busy time of year for them.

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
newrider.com