Jacket for yard, dog walking etc, which one?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I currently have a nice Musto Signature lightweight jacket.
Now the only issue I can find with this jacket, they don't appear to make it anymore.:rolleyes:
I have been onto the Musto site and this style doesn't exist. I think it's three years old, but still.
I found this. Similar but impractical colour.
http://www.snackandtack.co.uk/cloth...n-c125/coats-c143/summer-paddock-jacket-p1906

So for what jacket do you have for yard duties and why?
I am looking for a lightweight with hood. Hood must be capable of staying up and behaving like a hood. No shower caps please :D

I bought an Aldi ski jacket last year, I love it it's lightweight, waterproof and with a proper hood and storm cuffs etc, it's had some serious use over the year and been washed quite a few times, still going strong and cost about £20

For everyday and getting generally dirty I have a regatta jacket, comfy, waterproof and does have a hood (I never use it because I don't like hoods, I'd rather put a hat on) and it was only £25 2 years ago. I do also have a musto warm up jacket but I don't wear that daily, that's kept for when I want a clean jacket :)

I really recommend the Lands' End (yes, I know they don't know where to put an apostrophe) Squall jackets. They do them in various weights, they are very waterproof and tend to have lots of handy pockets. Their colours can be a bit lairy but they have great bargains at this time of year.

I still have my Toggi down filled jacket that OH bought me a few years ago. It's losing some feathers (aren't we all!) but it does the trick. If it is teeming down like now, I wear it under a cagoole or my knee length Jack Murphy coat. I'd love a new yard coat tho, but I never seem to get around to finding the money for one! Plus I seem to attract dirt, sheep poo, horse poo so not really justifiable.

What's wrong with a shower cap?! Lol I've saved my hair many mornings wearing mine:p

If Horseware still make the Corrib, that's a nice little jacket. I got one as it was a giveaway to entice me to join Pet Plan many moons ago but I wore it forever. Still have it and it washes up brilliantly, if not so waterproof these days.

What's wrong with a shower cap?! Lol I've saved my hair many mornings wearing mine:p
Probably because we have guests staying throughout the year.
I'd like them to think us folk in the Westcountry are normal ish ;)

I have a nice Toggi jacket but it's just so mild I am overheating, then getting wet, as no hood.

@Jane&Ziggy I am hoping for a sale bargain, so will look at Lands End.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Probably because we have guests staying throughout the year.
I'd like them to think us folk in the Westcountry are normal ish ;)

I have a nice Toggi jacket but it's just so mild I am overheating, then getting wet, as no hood.

@Jane&Ziggy I am hoping for a sale bargain, so will look at Lands End.

Lol tis all part of the charm surely?! Hehehee I loves my shower cap:D

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I really recommend the Lands' End (yes, I know they don't know where to put an apostrophe) Squall jackets. They do them in various weights, they are very waterproof and tend to have lots of handy pockets. Their colours can be a bit lairy but they have great bargains at this time of year.
I like Lands' End too (that apostrophe does annoy me, although they explain it somewhere) - I have two, one for doing the horses and one clean. At least that's the plan ... they tend to get mixed up. They're lightweight and wash well and go on for ever. I also have a Mountain Horse one for when it's raining really hard - it was supposed to be padded and work like a body protector, but it was just too bulky so I took the pads out.

I have a great musto one that is just long enough to cover my bum with a good hood but not to thick so can still ride and do yards jobs in it
This is what I have I think.
I will change brands if I find something but this has been perfect for four years. So wanted like for like.

My musto is an old version of their current yard jacket. It is 20 years old! It is still waterproof and in perfect condition despite heavy use. I'll be investing in the Suffolk (full length riding jacket) with my Christmas money. Love musto! They have a sale on their website just now also. Equestrian clearance have a few nice mountain horse jackets reduced now too.

I've just bought a Fouganza one - I find that a lot of yard jackets aren't waterproof enough to ride in in bad weather. I am still looking for the perfect one!

I've just bought a Fouganza one - I find that a lot of yard jackets aren't waterproof enough to ride in in bad weather. I am still looking for the perfect one!
That's exactly why I tend to go for brands aimed at sailing, they are generally very waterproof, I hate that feeling of sogginess after a couple of hours in the rain :p

I have hi viz jackets for riding. I have thought of looking into sailing and walking.

That's exactly why I tend to go for brands aimed at sailing, they are generally very waterproof, I hate that feeling of sogginess after a couple of hours in the rain :p
I know, it's horrible - a soggy feeling that starts in the elbows and gradually spreads! I have a long Trespass coat for dog walking/general yard stuff/walking which is efficiently waterproof, but annoyingly it's not a comfortable length for me to ride in.

Reactions: Jessey
I will update when I get something as looking into everyone's ideas :)

@Jessey I won't mention the brand but it's a horsey one. I hacked out in it for an hour and it leaked. When I went back to the store I was told it was "waterproof up to a point" I didn't consider an hour out hacking a longtime.
I had similar with my walking boots that wore out after three months, that depends on how much walking you do. :) obviously! But they are being sold specificto people who walk.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
newrider.com