Jack and Pelle on the hill

vels mum

Jul 1, 2008
Shetland
Ive no idea how to capture 16 acres of hill land but took some pics as I walked the hill this afternoon so hopefully you get an idea. Before I bought Jack I planned to have most of the hill limed so the heather would die back and it could be reseeded with grass, however this type of grazing has turned out to be a good doers heaven.
Jack is now at a perfect weight IMO, since buying him he has been both overweight and a little underweight, but since being on the hill I have to say his weight to me looks perfect, he has to roam the hill all day to find grassy spots and the fact he is rugless I think has helped keep the weight down.
He has plenty natural shelter from the way the hill lies and he also has the stone yard which he uses as shelter.

Boys coming down for their dinner time haynet
DSC04486.jpg

He is standing on a slope so its hard to get a good look at his shape but I do think its the best its been since I bought him, he has a good covering yet as someone pointed out to me recently you can feel ribs if I push hard enough ;)
DSC04489.jpg

DSC04490.jpg

DSC04491.jpg

DSC04492.jpg

Little Pelle
DSC04495.jpg

DSC04497.jpg

Inside the stone yard they use as shelter and random snap shots
DSC04500.jpg

DSC04502.jpg

DSC04503.jpg

DSC04505.jpg

DSC04506.jpg

DSC04507.jpg

DSC04509.jpg

DSC04512.jpg

When taking pics on the hill Ive had ppl mistake the heather for a mud, there is virtually no mud it is just brown heather with the occasional grassy spot ;)
DSC04515.jpg

Oh am so jealous my boy would be able to live out on that,he's designed to live 0n heather & the odd thistle :wink:.Cheshire grass doesn't do a laminitic any good at all

Tis half the reason I bought him, I had my hill in mind!

And of couse he is an honest bombproof ride, who has given my daughter bags of confidence, he is a good un!!!!!!

Thanks Devonlass!!!!!!!

Oh am so jealous my boy would be able to live out on that,he's designed to live 0n heather & the odd thistle :wink:.Cheshire grass doesn't do a laminitic any good at all

This is Shetland pony country, land is designed with them in mind, im not saying Jack is an overgrown Shettie but he certainly thrives on their grazings!!!!

newrider.com