Izzy- Countdown to Team Showjumping Debut

tiga

Oct 29, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex
Izzy and I have been back jumping now for 2 months and at a clinic a month ago I was asked if I would be in the showjumping team for our Riding Club. I was really pleased to be asked and thought we would be ready for competing by Spring 2013.

But, our first event is on Feb 10! So a little earlier than planned. I am starting a diary to chart our progress in getting ready for our first ever showjumping competition. We have been to 3 clear rounds at the start of the year but then couldn't do any jumping for 6 months.

Our challenges are:
* Jumping 2 rounds - 80 cm and then 85 cm
* Me finding my way round the course, the jumps aren't a problem
* Me focussing on getting the little things right - canter leads, corners, using the space well, keeping my position without letting Izzy pull me off balance by tanking into the jumps
* Jumping indoors - only done it at clinics
* Getting all the right gear - no problem with that;)

Our approach is:
* Continue with a flat and jump lesson each week
* Take jump lesson out to arena where showjumping comp is to get used to space and jumping indoors
* Go out to more clear round jumping to do proper courses
* Work on feeling the right canter leads while out hacking (Izzy is difficult to feel when you are right or wrong as it is similar on both!)
* Do a few more jumping clinics at different venues so Izzy doesn't find it too exciting.
* Work on improving my leg position so more stable
* Get jump saddle - should be made by January

Here is a pic of us at the clinic where we were asked to be part of the team.

530755_428372730562273_1050789283_n.jpg

Here my leg is not forward enough.

Last edited:
Day one:

Jumping lesson with my trainer. She gave me a strict talking to about not thinking of myself as a numpty rider anymore. We talked about focus and concentration and working on the little things that all add up to make the ride and jumping go smoothly.

She said that when I am focussed and concentrating I ride Izzy very nicely and that the competition will be no problem. BUT I have to start being more focussed and serious if I want to be competitive at competitions. She is right.

Although I don't want to be a serious competitor, I am quite competitive want to be the best that we can be. So I need to change my mindset, which has been a bit, 'I am the numpty of the yard so will clown about'.

At our lesson we jumped a course of 6 jumps at 85 cms to work on turning and the approach to the jump. Izzy has a habit of pulling me off balance after a jump if I don't sit up quick enough, then he speeds off and pivots in the next turn. So I need to sit up quicker after the jump, keep my shoulders back and use my core to keep hold of the little monkey. When I do this he goes beautifully, when I don't we gallop into the jump.:bounce:

I also need to work on feeling the canter lead better and being quicker to recognise when we are on the wrong one and change it. Don't want any circling in the competition!

Day two:

Organised trip to tack shop for Saturday to start looking for all the gear that I will absolutely, positively have to buy.

Izzy was long lined by a friend at the yard as I was having a massage. Long lining helps build up Izzy's core muscles and the massage, well, I'm sure the likes of Mary King have sports massages.:tongue:

Sounds fab.

And yes, of course Izzy will have to have a stud guard girth, a bonnett for his ears, sheepskin numnah or ten to go under his saddle ...........

And you will need a completely new outfit ............

Looking forward to hearing how you get on - think it will be great fun.

I think that my new years resolution is going to be to NOT act like a numpty rider and become more serious about my riding and what I want to achieve. You have inspired me to do better - maybe I should aim to do a jumping competition in February as well??

Perhaps we all should!!! Especially now Tobes and I have managed a few 2" jumps that even the youngest livery at 9 years old can jump on her feet!!!

Day 3:

Had a flat work session and worked on controlling the canter, going up the gears in walk, trot and canter and my position.

Great lesson but not as much fun as an actual jumping lesson;)

Weekend one of showjumping training was a bit rubbish.

I managed to hurt my back while getting dressed of all things on Saturday morning. Was taking Izzy to a grids clinic but my back was too sore to jump. So I asked one of our grooms to jump him for me. She hadn't ridden him before but I have ridden out with her so knew she would ride him nicely. They went really well but he only got excited when the jumps got big. He finds anything under 2ft 6 beneath his dignity.:wink:

I did manage to find a lovely Pikeur jacket for the big day.:biggrin:

Sunday, my friend, who is going to have some baby jumping lessons on him while I am in Australia for Christmas, had her first ride on Izzy. We played about in the school with lots of poles and she really enjoyed riding him but not much done to help with jump training!

Today he had a day off.

Hopefully my back will improve and we can get on with training.

newrider.com