i've given up hope.

allroundergirl

Sep 19, 2008
Notts/Derbys
Months ago I gave up my old part loan pony due to confidence issues. I've been looking for a while whilst riding a school horse called Splash. He's very spirited and forward going and he's given me my confidence back.

But there are NO loan ponies in a 7 mile radius of my home!

None for me anyway.

Not for months. What do I do to keep hope? I feel like giving up, it hurts so much to see my friends competing and riding..

And do you know any ponies that are confidence givers near me? :(

I wanted a pony from since I can remember.

I waited 5 years for a horse to at least just share! But nothing came around, and I stopped looking as at the age of 11/12 I couldn't fund for a share horse myself, nor could I explain to my mum what was involved in sharing as she wasn't that horsey herself - and as soon as I mentioned the words 'loan' a pony - it was a definate no, as financial reasons were a HUGE problem.

I had to travel 40 mins twice a month for my 30 min riding lesson with my 2 friends and had to be satisfied with that.
I'm not trying to be mean, but all I'm saying is, be greatful for the fact you're allowed to get a share horse and are having regular lessons. (I had to spend all my days just reading about horses and dreaming of them!)

When I finally got one at 14 - it was only for the fact I convinced my mum I was just helping a lady out a couple times a week with her horse (which ended up being for 3 years! :eek:) but still. My mum not once had to put in a financial contribution, I did everything myself.
The pony was not the sort of pony I was looking for, but she was the ONLY one around. She could only light hack but I was soo happy to have her to call my own. I'd have done ANYTHING to have had (and still would!) a horse that I could take to local shows and do more with, but sometimes you just have to be patient and wait for something to come to you.

My current mare can only hack too and I'd love to be able to do more with her, but I can't. Each horse will teach you something different, so maybe you're just looking for something that's not there at the moment. If I had had a massive variety of horses to choose from - starting from just hacking ponies, to ones I could compete on - I'd have gone for the more energetic, showing/competing type. But that would mean I'd have never met my 2 girls Cori & Wren - and Cori was my complete world, and when she passed away I was broken. If I hadn't had her, I can't imagine on what I'd have missed out on, she was the best.

Don't give up - because if I did. I would never have had Cori, and she was the BEST thing in my life, and taught me one hell of a lot... life lessons too! You just have to give it time... I did, for over 5 years, but I got (in my opinion) the best pony in the world. :)

Last edited:
I was looking for months and found nothing seemingly appropriate, be it size/age/cost, so i'm now waiting until i move up to university.
Maybe you should keep riding Splash if he's improving your confidence and, in the mean time, keep an eye out. A LOT of people look for help coming into the winter months as the days get darker/colder and there's less time/motivation to tend for their horses themselves. What are you looking for exactly and how much are you willing to spend?

It took me 32 years to get to the stage where I could buy my own horse, and she ended up being my horse of a lifetime.

The I'm trying to make, all be it not very well, is that there are some things in life that are worth waiting for.

Yes you can give up. Giving up would mean that you'd be in the same position as you are now, horseless, but also that you'd never find the horse you want because you're not trying.

Your choice but I know from experience that my horse was worth the wait.

I wasn't always actively pursuing my dream but I know that when I did I was more likely to get what I wanted.

Even the wrong ones all had valuable lessons to teach me so if you get a few duds along the way it all adds to your cup of knowledge.

Maybe you need a break from looking to gather your strength back up.

Thanks guys :)

Theres a riding school round the corner and I used to go but some of the ponies gave me bad injuries. However some where great, so was thinking about loaning one of the nicer ponies, if they let me.. What do you think?

newrider.com