It's official - I have a share horse!!!

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
:dance::dance:

I have been holding off till all the contracts were signed, but I can now shout it from the rooftops :biggrin:

For those who remember my thread asking for people's opinions on my options, he was Option 4. He is a 15hh shire x cob called Harvey, for hacking and light schooling only. He is an absolute gent, been there, done it and is more than happy to let me fumble about and figure out how to do things. He is 21 and mildly arthritic, however this didnt stop him cantering down the hill with me when I tried him out.

I think I am going to be tested quite a lot over the next few weeks, he is a real sweety, but I know he is going to try it on and push the boundaries with me, he is a big and powerful horse, so I need to nip that in the bud pronto. I plan on doing some ground work with him next week and establishing who is boss, and then when I am a bit more comfortable with him, pointing him up a hill and making him go, and go, and go...till he realises that I can play him at his own game! :giggle: (dont worry, it will be on soft ground, and only long enough fo him to realise that I tell him when to go and when to stop...his aging legs will not be put at risk!)

The owners are lovely and have had him 17 years, they have a stunning 4 year old gypsy cob too so I can have a hacking partner. The yard is very nice 15 mins from home, with an indoor and outdoor school, and lots of hacking. Plenty of people there, and a huge range of horses from eventers, ex-racers, happy hackers and everything in between.

I will be starting a diary to map our progress.

Sorry, but there will be no photo's. He's not mine, and I'm not sure if his owners use forums. Plus I forgot to take any! Oops! :redcarded:

Aww, congrats! Fabulous news.

I hope you enjoy every second of it, I'm sure you will. My lovely share horse Mac sounds a bit like your chap but he was a welsh x TB, there was plenty of spark left in that boy let me tell you!! :biggrin:

I look forward to reading about all your adventures in your diary.

COngratulations. He sounds great.

Good idea to start off with some groundwork and set the boundaries as you want them.

And a perfect time of year to get to know him and all the hacking routes.

Have fun!:dance:

NO pics???? :cry:

Oh well..... describe him to me please because then I can imagine how he looks... is he very Shire-ish?

Ooh... and congratulations as well.... how often will you get to ride him?

Fab news! And what a fantastic name for him, as I am the proud owner of a Harvey myself (tho mine is a field ornament despite being CONSIDERABLY younger than your new share boy at just 15).

Look forward to many updates and pictures.

Just being nosy - but which yard is Harvey at??

Really pleased for you - look forward to updates - could you ask owners permission to post some piccys??? Feel seriously cheated especially as he is a cob!:biggrin:

15hh cob sounds wonderful, that's what I should have bought! (Sorry Ziggy :redface:)

Let us know how the pointing him up a hill bit goes, that sounds awesome.

newrider.com