It's getting a bit stressful

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
The yard situation is developing, new owners took possession of my current yard, they are lovely but need lots doing before they move in.

They've got a fencing contractor in who started Friday who managed to upset the horses and jess was slightly lame Saturday from charging about :( he's not horsey but after a chat seems to understand to stay away from them, they are having to stay on the winter grazing in the middle so he can use the track to access the perimeter fences which he's already pulled out the first section of.

I just learned from the fencer the builder also starts work on the house on Tuesday, and he'll be cutting my power, so effectively my electric fence will just be a piece of string keeping my horses in and with no perimeter fence, I'm going to have to find a battery to run it. Aparently the builder also plans to go right through the middle of the field to dump the spoil from the footings and is refusing to go around the track as it will take too long..... Will have to call the new owners tonight I think :( just hoping they don't ask me to leave because its easier.

Still haven't met with the owners of the field I'm hoping to rent, just messaged her after waiting a week for a call to set up a time to meet and aparently she'd forgotten :( I really hope it comes together as I'm really nervous of all the contrators with machines upsetting the neddies.

Any good luck vibes welcomed o_O

Oh I do feel your pain. I can quite imagine how frustrating it is. Specially if jess seems a bit lame from all the shennanigans. I used to have similar back at our old place, because our land was surrounded by the farmers land, he used to have contractors in doing stuff which upset mine and there was nowt I could do - bar watch them going lame:(
I am soooo hoping you find somewhere and get it all sorted soon. I wish you were near me, you would be welcome to join mine for a while:) I hate the thoughts of anyone being stuck:(
How come they are refusing to go round? Surely common sense would tell him he can't just go wading through your turnout?:mad:
Lots and lots of vibes on their way - I think it's worth giving the owners a ring. They have been okay so far? I doubt if they'd be telling you to leave asap over this.

Reactions: Jessey
Oh that IS all unsettling and worrying :( Especially the uncooperative builder and the electruc situation. I feel for you. xx

I do hope you manage to get sorted soon with the new field. It does sound all very worrying at the moment - I can imagine how stressful it must be wondering what's going on when you can't be there to keep an eye on them. Hope Jess is ok x

So sorry. Sounds very stressful. Hope you resolve the situation soon. The only reassurance might be that horses are quite quick to adapt to new things. When I took Thyme on holiday a train thundered past her field every half and hour or so as it was right on a main-line route.
She freaked at first but very quickly learned to ignore it.

Reactions: Ruskii and Jessey
Building work is a nuisance but the horses will most likely be ok. We have had building work going on here and they dug right through the fields to put cables in.
Generally they start at 8am and finish at 4 pm.
Being paid by the hour with possibly hired machines it is about getting the job done quickly.
Can the horses be completely out of the way of the track and machines?

Its a bit naughty of the new owners not informing you of there intentions. Whilst they don't have to tell you there business. To not tell you that the power is getting cut which effects you, or consulting you to discuss a suitable alternative that pretty bad. Especially as you said they are horsy people themselves.
Driving through the field which could cause the horses to bolt and charge the fencing, they could do themselves a nasty injury. I would also not be happy at the cut up/loss of my grazing.
When my yard owner was having work done in the next fields over, i did inform them that my new horse didn't do tractors and i was worried he would clear the fencing. They new he had already cleared them once for no apparent reason. I also made sure that i did exercise my horse first thing in the morning in order that he be chilled before the contracts started each day.

Jess was sound again by Sunday, so no major harm done.

Can the horses be completely out of the way of the track and machines?
They are on the middle acre, the builder wants to cut across the middle of that, the track and side paddocks are on the perimeter and being left empty for the fencing. I'm loathe to pen them on 1/3 acre as it doesn't give them anywhere to run if they feel the need.

Its a bit naughty of the new owners not informing you of there intentions. Whilst they don't have to tell you there business. To not tell you that the power is getting cut which effects you, or consulting you to discuss a suitable alternative that pretty bad. Especially as you said they are horsy people themselves.
Driving through the field which could cause the horses to bolt and charge the fencing, they could do themselves a nasty injury. I would also not be happy at the cut up/loss of my grazing.
They had told me they were having the building work done, but didn't mention the power and it didn't cross my mind either. I'm not worried about the grass, that will grow back, and the electric fence will break if they run through it (I only use 3mm twine for that reason) but beyond that its now open, thats my big worry :(

Oh Jessey, that's a huge worry, I would be stressing about it too. Have you spoken to the new owners with your concerns? I guess as it's their property and land they are entitled to do whatever they like, but maybe they haven't considered the horses. I'm fairly sure we all would if it were us, but some people are so busy they just don't think.

I didn't get time to call them last night, but will tonight.

I've mostly been dealing with the wife and she's told me what's happening but she is a bit scatty and not the most practical, when I asked about paying my livery direct into their account she had to defer to hubby as she didn't know how :p, so I honestly think she probably didn't know that they would be cutting power, she's been ace up until now, letting me know when any contractors are due on site, what they are doing, when she is visiting etc. and I know they told the contractors to stay away from the horses, its just the builder who thinks he knows best by the looks of it.

They can't turn the water off at the moment as it also supplies the next door house and they can't leave him without, they will be getting the supply line divided at some point so they can though

As long as they tell you. We didn't get told. It went off all day.

Are they doing extension or renovation?

As long as they tell you. We didn't get told. It went off all day.

Are they doing extension or renovation?
There doing both, 2 small extensions and complete renovation of the rest.

I got the call from the new field owner last night, I'm meeting him at 3pm today :) I'm trying to contain my excitement :p I just really hope he doesn't want silly money or have silly expectations.

I hope it goes well too.
Your other owners - the one with the builders - may need to have someone knowledgeable like you explain the damage that can be done to the grazing ground you are renting (their property) when builders drive their lorries across it. Then they can deal with their builders. After all no one wants to wreck their own land. The only reason I know about this is that Tolstoy put it into Anna Karenina, his crossness with the workers allowing the cart and horses to compress the ground by going across or to the middle of the field and not keeping to the edge. It was easier for the workers but damaged his ground. And that was even before the big ruts made by modern tires.

Reactions: Trewsers
I hope it goes well too.
Your other owners - the one with the builders - may need to have someone knowledgeable like you explain the damage that can be done to the grazing ground you are renting (their property) when builders drive their lorries across it. Then they can deal with their builders. After all no one wants to wreck their own land. The only reason I know about this is that Tolstoy put it into Anna Karenina, his crossness with the workers allowing the cart and horses to compress the ground by going across or to the middle of the field and not keeping to the edge. It was easier for the workers but damaged his ground. And that was even before the big ruts made by modern tires.

I think that this is excellent advice. We have had work done on our yard and builders completely ruined some of the grazing which never really recovered as it was left with big ruts and was very uneven. If the owners are wanting to move their horses to the land in the near future, this is something that needs to be considered.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com