It's a bit early for sweetich isnt it ?

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
Well it's the only thing I can possibly think off at the moment ?

If it is, then it's another thing to add to the injury list at the moment :banghead::banghead:

Went to see both boys this morning and feed them, and noticed a grubby stain on the base of my boys mane, he's a coloured cob with the majority of his mane being white (well grey really) so any nicks/cuts or something more sinister are usually pretty quick to show. I had a closer look and he's rubbed part of his mane off :banghead:

Something similar happened around this time of year about two years ago or maybe last year, I forget. I treated it with MSM cream and his mane grew back fine within 6 weeks. But as it's just my two this has happened to, I'm a bit stuck as why it has happened to just mine out of a herd of 15 ? Mine don't mutually groom each other, they have their own pals (in fact going from the faces they were pulling at each other today seems they have had a lovers tiff :rolleyes:)

The place I keep them is dampish, and in the summer the midgies can be bloomin nasty up there. However they haven't seem to be bothered in the summer months by it ? :dunno:

So I've sprayed some fly repellant on it just in case it is something making them itch but I'm confused as to what is causing it, it's a bit early for sweet itch isnt it ?

Are they reachingvthrough fencing for stuff?

It's not to early for sweet itch we have been itching for weeks. But there is also pollen around. The other thing is if you have changed feeds/lotions/potions - doesn't need to have been applied to mane to cause reaction there :)

Thanks for the imput :)

hmm no, I thought of that when I was looking at them both. One is being fed his usual diet that he has all year round as he is a veteran, other one has just started a course of devil's claw for a leg injury that he did in the field (doh!) but I'm a bit wary to think it was that that caused it as the cob did the same thing (rubbing his mane out) a year or two ago round the same time. He was fed nothing then, at the moment he's only getting a scoop of chaff and the devil's claw in it.

Will keep thinking ..

They aren't reaching through fences for anything as it's only trees on the other side of their fence.

Creepy crawlies??? Vet has made me obsessed at Lice hunting as it's the biggest cause of scurf and itching. I can't find anything on madam but not sure if I should be thankful or not, think I would rather treat Lice than not knowing!!

Not too early at all and yes there is pollen around too. My boy has had a runny nose for the past few days which I put down to spring/pollen etc.

My vet suggests putting on sweet itch rug in February.

One is rugged, the other isnt. Both were treated for lice as a 'just in case' only about 3 weeks ago. They might just be itchy from loosing their coat, the one who isnt rugged (cob) did shake whilst after his dinner, I hadn't groomed him but it was like it snowed :biggrin:

The skin isn't pink or inflamed which is why I'm puzzled about it.

the midges are out so the sweet itch won't be far behind for those who don't already have it!!!!

also a possibility they are itching because of moulting?

newrider.com