Itchy legs

Zayna

May 27, 2008
When I say we've tried everything, I mean that most sincerely.

About 2 months ago we had both boys injected with Dectomax and it seemed to work, but now one of the boys is rubbing his legs together and is in heaven when you scratch them for him.

We've done the whole pig oil and sulphur thing, hibiscrub, dectomax, dermoline shampoo, you name it.

I'm thinking of making up a bottle of my own concoction to give them a weekly wash - Hibiscrub mixed with Dermoline shampoo in a squirty bottle, quick squirt, rub in, leave 5 mins and then a nice cold rinse off. Surely it will give relief temporarily if nothing else...??

Any suggestions or comments folks? Or anything else I could add to the concoction?

Zayna x

Are yours stabled on straw at all? Pretty much all the nags on our section of the yard have had mites this winter and have had to have injections etc, including those with no feather. Some liveries seemed to think they were straw mites, although I'm not sure if that is correct. If you are bedding on straw it might be worthing considering a swap?

They're on shavings.

If it's mites... surely the pig oil and sulphur and dectomax should have shifted them?

I'm beginning to think it's a combination of dry hot weather, dust, pollen, flies, and yes probably indestructible mites, and I'm going to get some louse powder but in the meantime I want to give him a nice soothing leg wash tonight.

Any suggestions as to what to add to the Hibiscrub and Dermoline shampoo... I've a bit of tea tree shampoo I think...

^ how long does the injection last.

if you read the OP it says he had it 2 months ago.

Now you are asking, this was over 12 yrs ago and being a person of a certain age exact treatment is a bit blurred, I know he had at least 3 injections with the usual cleansing treatment inbetween, think he had the 2nd injection a couple of weeks after the first (something re eggs hatching), sure treatment has moved on a bit since then though.........

How long did you try the pig oil for? For Jim pig oil and sulphur took over six weeks of weekly applications to shift them, I was about to give up thinking that it didn't work, but it made his feathers nice so I carried on. Then I realised he wasn't itching anymore :rolleyes: so I don't know exactly how long it took.

How long did you try the pig oil for? For Jim pig oil and sulphur took over six weeks of weekly applications to shift them, I was about to give up thinking that it didn't work, but it made his feathers nice so I carried on. Then I realised he wasn't itching anymore :rolleyes: so I don't know exactly how long it took.

We did a few applications, a couple of weeks apart. TBH, I can't stand the stink and the mess.

We were told the Dectomax injections might be needed again to kill any eggs that have hatched, but they're hideously expensive. If I've got to do something every six weeks I'd rather shampoo and powder, it's a fraction of the price.

We did a few applications, a couple of weeks apart. TBH, I can't stand the stink and the mess.

Sorry to be a bit abrupt but you have to remember that its not the stink and the mess you have to worry about. At the end of the day. Who cares what it looks like, as long as it helps the horse and stops him getting frustrated with the itchyness and clears it up.

I use it on my horse and to be quite honest it smells no worse than the horse smells. Yes it looks a bit yellow for a few days on the legs, but its not really that messy. I don't think that if you have applied a few applications a few weeks apart that you have tried it for long enough. It is not an instant cure. You need to keep using.

Obviously I realise that it might not help your horse. But there are many that it does seem to help.

Just remembered, when mine had the injection I also got some malaseb shampoo. It doesn't kill the mites but is v soothing and cleaned up the infection a treat. Its a dog shampoo but my vets had it in the car. Worth a try?

Think you can continue to use frontline regardless of dectomax? Might help (apologies if already said, not read through replies :eek:)

Just a thought - do you have buttercups in your field? Might be adding to the irritation if so.

Bear with me because this may sound ODD, but my little TB mare was going bonkers with an irritation on her legs and the Vet suggested . . . . . . . Frontline flea Spray or Spot on. Seemed very odd to us , but as everything else had failed we gave it a try . . . . BINGO, it worked and it has never come back. It was probably some microscopic parasite.
Clean off all othr products before you apply tho.
Try it and see if it works for your horse ???????
Good luck

Sorry to be a bit abrupt but you have to remember that its not the stink and the mess you have to worry about. At the end of the day. Who cares what it looks like, as long as it helps the horse and stops him getting frustrated with the itchyness and clears it up.

I use it on my horse and to be quite honest it smells no worse than the horse smells. Yes it looks a bit yellow for a few days on the legs, but its not really that messy. I don't think that if you have applied a few applications a few weeks apart that you have tried it for long enough. It is not an instant cure. You need to keep using.

Obviously I realise that it might not help your horse. But there are many that it does seem to help.

You're not being abrupt, I can see where you're coming from. It just didn't really seem to be the magic potion that everyone raved about, but perhaps you're right, we didn't use it for long enough.

Last night I washed him with a dilute solution of Malaseb shampoo, Hibiscrub and Dermoline. He loved being washed but then when I left the shampoo on for five minutes he was rubbing like mad, I think it must have been stinging him. We found a couple of little scabs so I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed with cold water, then we dried him and put Sudocrem on his scabby bit.

I felt really mean that the shampoo might have stung him. However, my sister watched him on the cctv most of the evening, and he stood snoozing peacefully, not stamping and rubbing at all.

He's got a couple of dried blood marks on his legs this morning, only tiny, I will look at him tonight and see if he needs dabbing with a bit of saline and some more Sudocrem.

It does sound awfully like mites. In the areas where he is itchy, is his skin powdery?

newrider.com