Itchy heels

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
my poor ickle ponio has all of a sudden got really scratchy heels on her hind legs. She has a fair amount of feather, although not masses, and has always had slightly scurfy skin near her ergots but recently it seems to be getting much worse - I think it's because a fair bit of grease has managed to build up under the feather that is really hard to remove. It got to the stage yesterday where she had made them bleed from scratching.

I'm going to give them the chop at the weekend just to let the air get to the skin so it can heal - don't want the skin to still be sore by the time the colder, wetter weather gets here. But once the feathers are starting to come back I have heard that Pig Oil is very good for keeping condition of the feather and skin underneath?

Does anyone else use Pig Oil or any other products? What are your thoughts on this?

My finbar has mites like fleas in cats ect. ask the vet we use herbal stuff and it seems to work. but if i cut his feathers to short he goes mad an none can ride him! so i just trim. but i asked the YO as shes always had horses and at 60 odd shes got the years behind her! I turst her 100%.

My girl and another on our yard with large amounts of feather are particularly prone to mites - a classic symptom is your horse stamping their feet regularly or scratching a back leg with the other back leg.

I've heard using regular flea remedy for dogs, particularly Frontline, is quite good and might be worth a try. If you're cutting back the feather take a good look at the skin and see if it's mud fever - if the weather's been dry where you are it's not AS likely but can still happen. And can be sore to the touch so might be worth keeping your riding hat on while down there!! :p

Not heard about the pig oil but doesn't mean it won't work!

Best of luck! :)

newrider.com