Itchy cob legs

*taz*

is now horseless!
Jan 11, 2008
Lovely Leicestershire!!
ferg gets very itchy legs all year long (has quite long feathers)! hes always scrathing had a fence down the other week cuz he was scratching too much!:eek:
I have to shave them off in the winter which i would prefer not to do because he lives out all year and they protect his legs but i dont know what else to do! he seems to scratch less when he has then shaved!

Does anyone else have the same problem what do you do? :confused:
Am i right to cut off his feathers in the winter? :confused:
Are there anythings that you do that you find helps? :confused:

Thanks! xx:D

He most likely has mange mites. These need to be dealt with as soon as possible because they can spread. The mites can only live in feathered legs which is why that helps.
My mum's mare came to us with them. Her old owners assumed it was mud fever and clipped straight through all the scabs - she is now horrifically scarred and a nightmare to clip.
You can either call the vet who can give injections for it, or wash the legs in Dermoline and spray with Frontline every 7 weeks, which is what we do for Livvy. She is now 100% mite free but still has the old scars which are like crevices behind her knees, and flake constantly. We comb it all out every couple of days which she hates but has to be done :(
He will most likely need to have clipped legs for the rest of his life to prevent the mites coming back. They usually stamp alot as well which is bad for their legs.
Hope he makes a good recovery :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Get in touch with your vet and ask them to come out and give him a mites injection, i think its called ivermectin but i'm not 100% sure. Sorts out my cob, and you don't need to shave off any feather. It also acts as a wormer too, and its not expensive, think its about £15 for me + callout fee.

Vet told me the mites live in the mud all year round and burrow in under the skin, causing them to itch and stamp their feet alot. Mine is actually due to be done...:rolleyes: I really need to get round to it!

When i got Mary she had scabs behind her heels that used to itch and bleed if i got them with a comb. She was also losing her beautiful feathers too. I was bathing them in hibiscrub and drying them off but it helped alittle but didnt get rid of it. I ended up shaving underneath her heels so i could clean and put cream on. I put a post on here and i got some advice on pig oil and sulphur powder off coyote. SUPERB !:D Her feathers stay beautifully clean and she hasnt been bothered with scabs again since ive used it. Maybe it could work for you?:) unless there are mites though, then maybe a mite treatment 1st?

Will he just have one injection from the vets or one in each leg? someone told me they have 1 in each leg?
Does that injection protect him forever or is it done every year etc...

Rosie weas injected a couple of years ago and the mites in her feathers have never retirned - I cant remember the name but it is actually licensed for cattle. Since then I have used Wilkinsons cheapest dog flee shampoo!

Hi my cob also has really itchy legs. The vet has checked for mites etc over the years. I've found that the best thing for her is to keep her feathers short and wash regularly with hibiscrub.

He had the injection - but the reason is that it is licensed for cattle is that it can cause horses to swell.. this is'nt normally lasting and Alfie had no problems with the injection and has'nt stamped or scratched since....

newrider.com