It just wasn't my night last night

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Went round to sort the girls out and was just picking up Chloe's water bucket to empty and refill and the biggest rat I've ever seen came flying out! Blimey, they can't half move quick! It was like it was on wheels!! Big bugger as well. Anyway, I am not afraid of them, but it did startle me - have to admit to shrieking like a girl!lol OH was still working at his desk - which is only just around the corner, but says he didn't hear me! Very odd as you can hear just about anything and everything down here it's so quiet. Storm gave me a withering look - my shriek clearly was nothing to worry about!
Then, just about to partake of a nice cold weak lager and I felt / senses something plop onto my head. Yep. Giant spider alert! Again, it startled me, and I shrieked! OH gallantly removed it and carefully placed it outside the front door. (It will probably have made it's way back in by now!). It just was not my evening! I'm not scared of spiders but really - in my hair??????! It wasn't that long since I'd combed it either:p

Hahaha and eeek! A massive spider dropped onto me when I was doing the ironing before Christmas. I screamed and both my husband and dog - far from gallantly rushing to my aid - jumped onto the sofa! I've learnt my lesson though - ironing is dangerous. ;)

I think the rat thing I could have dealt with...well sort of! But the spider on my head, Jaysus I would have been demented! When I tied Dolly's hay net up outside yesterday I noticed something like a large dark oak leaf wiggling about on the ground - on closer inspection (must wear those specs more often!) I saw it was a poor little bat on its back squeaking and stranded! After screaming like a classroom of eight year old schoolgirls, I finally pulled myself together and picked the poor thing up and tucked it up high on an old stone wall in the defunked barn. When I came back from a ride it was nowhere to be soon, so I hope it is OK. :(

Well not sure if this counts as my third scare but last night I popped round to tend to the ladies and the police helicopter was hovering very close. Seemed to go on for ages and (I know this sounds lame) I did wonder who they were searching for and as the moon was clouded it was all darker thank normal once the heli had gone. Anyhoo, I started "seeing" things - like you do - every single shape was a person hiding!!! Lol OH was only at the house and I had to give myself a good talking to!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
The rat I could deal with. The spider however I certainly could not!

The other week I saved a family of baby mice, I moved wombles treat ball and 4 baby miceys fell out. They were teeny. It took me 20 mins to round them all up. I took them to the straw barn and released them. Then spent another 10 mins watching them play and explore there new surroundings

Haha thats exactly the reason I dont watch scary movies, its fine at the time, its later when I'm doing the horses in the dark on my own my mind starts tormenting me

I've had to stop reading Dean Koontz thrillers - loads of them are set around remote places, and stuff always happens after dark!:eek:

Reactions: Jessey
The rat I could deal with. The spider however I certainly could not!

The other week I saved a family of baby mice, I moved wombles treat ball and 4 baby miceys fell out. They were teeny. It took me 20 mins to round them all up. I took them to the straw barn and released them. Then spent another 10 mins watching them play and explore there new surroundings

Hehehe, baby mices:D They would have startled me tho!lol

For sure it was not your night. Wonder what was up with the helicopter?

The bat would have really creeped me out because over here they carry RABIES!!

I also save spiders and other critters.

YOU guys don't have rabies over there ? do you?

Bats can on the odd occasion have rabies here. A man died a few years ago - he worked at a bat sanctuary and got bitten poor man.

Here they are thought of as big carriers of rabies.
I do love to see them though they eat lots of mosquitoes .
We have a couple that in summer at dusk they hang in the open area above the round pen and flutter around eating mosquitoes.
I love to see them.
Years ago we put up a bat house but no one ever seemed to move in. Guess they live someplace they like better:rolleyes:

Reactions: Trewsers
Here they are thought of as big carriers of rabies.
I do love to see them though they eat lots of mosquitoes .
We have a couple that in summer at dusk they hang in the open area above the round pen and flutter around eating mosquitoes.
I love to see them.
Years ago we put up a bat house but no one ever seemed to move in. Guess they live someplace they like better:rolleyes:

Hehehe, fussy bats!
Here you can't legally move them - there is a council department devoted to bat surveys and if you are extending or renovating a property and they live there, then you just have to put up with them or build around them.

LOL I thought it was a pretty nice bat house too lol.
I have never heard of a council like that here - but I have never heard of someone doing renovations etc and finding them
in residence.
They are awesome to watch and they don't come that close to the ground around here.
Out in Arizona it was a different story though. My first husband was stationed in AZ and they were all around the
stable area and swooped down really low and they supposidly have great radar to not run into things but one evening
one flew right into the back of my husbands head . It did not bite him or anything like that - I don't think it was going after him it just I think was too intent on a MOSQUITO and boom ran into him.
It made me much more nervous being around there at night though.

I have not noticed any at all out on the property not that we are out there at dark that often. But being deep woods
maybe there are not clear areas to see them-- here I only see them in the clearing of the round pen.

LOL I thought it was a pretty nice bat house too lol.
I have never heard of a council like that here - but I have never heard of someone doing renovations etc and finding them
in residence.
They are awesome to watch and they don't come that close to the ground around here.
Out in Arizona it was a different story though. My first husband was stationed in AZ and they were all around the
stable area and swooped down really low and they supposidly have great radar to not run into things but one evening
one flew right into the back of my husbands head . It did not bite him or anything like that - I don't think it was going after him it just I think was too intent on a MOSQUITO and boom ran into him.
It made me much more nervous being around there at night though.

I have not noticed any at all out on the property not that we are out there at dark that often. But being deep woods
maybe there are not clear areas to see them-- here I only see them in the clearing of the round pen.

Blimey that would have made me jump!!! Thank goodness it didn't give his head a nip!

newrider.com