it happened again:(

ali cat

hiya all

well you might remember i used to loan a lovely big clydesdale called raisin who the owner sold and didn't tell me until after!

and then a hairy hogged cob mare called rosie---well the day before xmas eve the owner rang and said--i've sold her--she's to be a xmas presie for someone----aaaaaarrgh---so i went up xmas eve and all my stuff had been piled up in the corner of the barn--talk about being give the bums rush!!!!

of course come xmas morning--what did i get--a lovely 'leg light' for riding rosie in the dark!!! a new halter for rosie!!!! a reflective jacket for riding rosie!!!!!!! oh dear --my hubby and sons were as distraught as me ---finally thinking they'd bought good pressies for me:)

anyway-----it turns out i know the girl who now owns her---unfortunately she doesn't need a sharer---BUT she says i can come see her whenever i want--no mention of riding but at least i know she has a good home---BUT i really didn't want to start looking again so soon---and i hate that i get attached to the neddies and then get all upset when they go----and i must admit it spoiled my xmas for me

oh well---i s'pose i'll have to start again and see if i can find another neddy that needs a step mam

That's so sad. As I was reading your post and you said the owner sold her for Christmas, I was hoping the end of the story would have her under your tree with a bow. I'm so sorry to hear that she was somebody else's present. :(

I do remember you

It would be wrong to say that I know how you must have felt receiving your Xmas presents - but I can imagine how you must have felt especially given your experience with Raisin.

I'm trying to find the silver lining for you - maybe it's happening because they turn out to be so good because you've helped to look after them as well as ride them - I don't know really.

I think I said last time that if ever you are going to visit Berkshire/Oxfordshire then pm me first and I will make sure you can visit us and maybe ride Kerry.

Anyway, I hope that you find another equine who needs your tlc.

Sandra

oh i really thought that she would be YOUR chrissy present too!
Nevermind, there will be others (as hard as that is to believe right now)

Reply to KarinUS

Unfortunately, over here very few people bother with a formal written agreement when loaning a horse despite the advice given by the British Horse Society. An agreement not only works for the loanee, in some measure it protects the owner by confirming ownership of the horse. Every month the horse magazines carry letters and advertisements from owners who have loaned out their horses and then found that the loanee has either sold the horse on or disappeared with it and with no formal document, even if the find the horse they have no way of proving ownership.

See the BHS web-site for advice.

(BTW - When you buy a horse always get a written receipt with a description of the animal on it. You never know when you might need to prove your ownership.)

that's awful, i am desparate for a sharer/part loan person at the moment, i would never do that to anyone.

shame you are not near me!

still, i am sure the xmas pressies will be used in good time!

I guess there are benefits to live in a more law-suit-happy society. I didn't know there was such a huge difference. That sounds even more scarey now. Thanks for explaining that, Sidesaddlelady.
As for the gifts I agree with Lucy. You'll use them in time. Of course the colors will be all wrong but it won't matter... :)

Best of Luck!

yep thats right---hardly anyone does the written agreement thing up here---if i was an owner i'd insist on it --but as a sharer---i feel i can't-------i'm gonna get the local free ad mag again and have a look through---and if it ever stops raining i'll tour the local tack shop:) and visit my old riding school for a nosey around and put the word out :)

i put a pikkie of rosie on the ''you on your horse thread"

it is indeed a pity we dinna live closer lucy -- one of the other girls on here had a horse for loan but needed me to be a loaner not a sharer and i canna do that cos of stoooopid working hours on 2 of my days-(plus i had vertigo for 3 weeks and she needed someone straight away so we weren't right for each other)--she was dead canny (geordie for nice) and i'm sure she wouldna have treated me like that either

aawww sandra--that would be sooo good--and thanks

i'm sure the pressies will be useful--and it was thoughtful of them

and mebbe one year a horse will be my pressie:)

Ali I sent you a PM message but forgot to sign it, but I am sure that it is automatically.

I always have a sharer agreement. I never had one with my first shared pony but like you never felt that I could ask his owner for one, also I was niave (sp) at the time. Don't be afraid Ali of asking for one the next time. I as an owner would not be offeneded. If they are unsure then you could always explain the benfits of one to them.

Anyone can write a loan/sharer agreement. It doesn't need to be a formal 'contract' written by a solicitor, just so long as each party gets a copy, signed by both and a witness (preferably impartial to either side.)

Since the intent of any agreement is to protect both parties equally, I don't think the owner of the horse would be insulted by suggesting such a document. You should both start by thinking of all the "what-if's" from each person's perspective.

Some ideas:

1. "What if I want to sell my horse during the loan period?" (There should be some sort of notice given so it doesn't come as a shock to the borrower, such as telling the person when an ad is being placed, letting you know if people are actively trying/vetting the horse, etc.) This should be in writing.
2. "What if the borrower doesn't take proper care of my horse or wants to participate in activities with the horse that I think are dangerous?" (You can write down an agreed feeding/shoeing/ vaccination/etc. schedule and which activities may or may not be engaged in, such as foxhunting but no drag-hunting or whatever suits the horse.) This works for the borrower too. What if you liked going on hacks and the owner specified the horse could only be ridden in the arena. It's good to know what you're allowed to do with the horse ahead of time.
3. "What if the horse gets sick or hurt? Who's going to pay and how much?" Something should be in writing as to who is responsible for what kind of vet's bills. Obviously, if the horse were to get kicked because you rode it carelessly up behind another horse, you should pay. But say the horse develops some chronic and expensive condition that is no one's fault. The borrower can't be expected to write a blank cheque for any and all circumstances.
4. "What if the owner says she still wants to ride occasionally and it turns into an everyday occurance or she invites all her friends out for a ride just when you're tacking up?" There should be something that specifies (especially in a sharing arrangement) who's days are whos and each pays that percentage of the horse's keep.
5. "What if either party simply changes their mind later on?" There should be a notice period agreed upon so that neither person is left in the lurch.

Make sure when you write down an agreement, the date, name and brief description of the horse, the location where it is to be kept, etc. is on the document and both people sign both copies.

Sidesaddlelady is right. Check out the BHS web site for advice. I am sure there are other sites for those in other countries. The laws vary and it's good to be aware.

For instance, in Florida, if a boarder fails to pay the bill and becomes 30 days in arrears, after a 10 day notice period, the stable owner holds a 'sheriff's auction', selling the horse for the unpaid bill. This is a very casual affair (the sheriff doesn't attend) and usually nobody turns up anyway and the stable owner gets the horse, to do with as he/she pleases.

newrider.com