It’s raining, I’ve done all my cleaning and jobs and I’m bored

Myfellpony

Mar 15, 2015
So I’m now on EBay trying to decide if I should buy Rosie one more turnout rug or two……

Mylo has two no fill turnout rugs. This means that I can rug him in bad weather, remove the wet rug, ride and put a dry rug back on him. Because he has ‘extra padding’ of his own, he has so far never worn a rug with any fill in at all.

Rosie so far has just the one, no fill rug. If I work on the same princilpes as Mylo, then she will need a second no fill rug, so she always has a dry one to put on.
But she doesn’t have the extra padding that Mylo has, and she did come in shivering yesterday after being out naked in the rain, so should I also be buying her one with a filling for cold, wet weather? There is currently a reduced 200 g one in her size on EBay. Should I go for it? Is that deemed to be thick, or medium?

Reactions: Jessey
200g is a medium weight.
I wouldn’t necessarily assume she’d need it just because she felt the cold in a torrential summer shower tho, the only time I’ve seen Hank (Shetland) shiver is in summer showers, yet -17 one winter and he was quite happy curled up in the snow asleep. The difference is that highly effective winter coat.
On the flip side, I don’t think it hurts to have options 😉 Jess most used rug is a 100g, she virtually lives in it in winter, not much fill but just enough to keep the wet outer material off her skin which means she stays warm.

Think it goes no fill, 100g, 200g. Can remember what g they go up to. Also depends how good/denier the outer material is.

Im sure you mean buying the 200g ready for winter.
I would only put a no fill on at this time of year. Way too hot for any filling currently. Mine would sweat. Even if they came in currently shivering from no rug. They can very quickly become over hot. Remember they can warm up moving round but cant regulate to cool down as easily.

I would buy now ready for winter for sure. More likely to get a bargin.

You can buy up to 500g, I don’t own anything more than 200g tho, that’s enough for most. Going for the heavier denier is definitely worth the extra, 600d is ok but 1200d is much tougher and more waterproof.

Yes, thinking ahead for Winter, for the cold wet and windy days. I would rather under rug than over rug. I normally only rug to keep them dry, not warm.
will look for a 50 or 100 instead I think.
It will be interesting to see how thick her coat gets in Winter. Mylo turns into a Woolley bear and has to be clipped or he sweats too much to work. I can’t ever imagine putting him in a thick rug.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
@Myfellpony .......Oh yes and as your bored and youve done your cleaning. Please come and clean my house. Mine hasnt been done in weeks as ive been too ill and busy. The hoovering will take a while with 2 shedding dogs and a cat.
If you dont die in the process hoovering theres loads of ragwort needs digging out in the field. Also need some fence posts knocking in, for my winter grazing paddocks. Glorious sunshine here just now.

Sorry couldnt resist.

Ok would agree 200 is middleweight. Robins thickest is 450 and he has been known to have that plus a 200 under. Fully clipped wimp tho. He wears his no fill if there is a chance to rain. Unless it is properly hot weather a drip of rain and he is crying.

Reactions: Myfellpony
All I can say is that no matter how many rugs you buy you never have the one that is perfect for the conditions. If you want the convenience of the two no fill rugs how about using a fleece to pop underneath in cold weather rather than get a separate rug.

Having said that, if I saw a bargain rug on ebay I'd have it, which is why I have two trunks full of rugs at the yard and several plastic sacks full of rugs in my garage.

All I can say is that no matter how many rugs you buy you never have the one that is perfect for the conditions. If you want the convenience of the two no fill rugs how about using a fleece to pop underneath in cold weather rather than get a separate rug.

Having said that, if I saw a bargain rug on ebay I'd have it, which is why I have two trunks full of rugs at the yard and several plastic sacks full of rugs in my garage.
Interesting….. I was wondering if a fleece underneath would work.

I dont like double rugging or a fleece under. Because there is no anti slip. The lining on the rain sheet is usually of a smooth silky material. I used to use a sheet underneath on occasion and tended to find that the under neath rug would pull back and dig in at the withers and could create sores at the wither.
If you just needed on for a day or something then a fleece would be fine under but for me double rugs for any length of time was a no.

I dont like double rugging or a fleece under. Because there is no anti slip. The lining on the rain sheet is usually of a smooth silky material. I used to use a sheet underneath on occasion and tended to find that the under neath rug would pull back and dig in at the withers and could create sores at the wither.
If you just needed on for a day or something then a fleece would be fine under but for me double rugs for any length of time was a no.
I have to agree, I can never get them to sit nicely, I do find a stable rug vaguely better than a fleece.

newrider.com