Isn't life frustrating?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Its annoying me lately, because I want to be a really good rider, at the moment I'm barely riding much at all, but even when Ale was fine I always struggled to find the time to ride and the money to have lessons. So I keep telling myself that when he is better (fingers crossed) I will ride every day and have regular lessons and I can't wait, but then I figure I won't have much time for anything else in my life like spending time with my boyfriend or trying to make friends which is something I really want to do.

And then I also love travelling and going to new places but then if I pursue this I won't be able to ride as much and won't have any money to spend on doing these things. I'm torn at the moment but ale is my priority really, I feel that if he comes back fine I will put my everything into getting him going better than ever.

But I just feel like that will leave me sacrificing other areas of my life. Just can't wait to hopefully get back in his saddle again, don't think I'm ever going to want to leave it!

It can be frustrating I know. I've wanted lessons again for two years but can't afford them plus Storm is too stiff now to do much more than either a gentle hack or a bit of light schooling. But that's the way it goes and least we can pootle together. After last summer I didn't think I would be tacking her up again so I can't complain. Realise how frustrating it is for you but hopefully he'll come back sound? And I'm sure any fella you have and friends will understand your need to spend lots of time catching valuable Ale time after what you've been through. :smile:

It can be frustrating I know. I've wanted lessons again for two years but can't afford them plus Storm is too stiff now to do much more than either a gentle hack or a bit of light schooling. But that's the way it goes and least we can pootle together. After last summer I didn't think I would be tacking her up again so I can't complain. Realise how frustrating it is for you but hopefully he'll come back sound? And I'm sure any fella you have and friends will understand your need to spend lots of time catching valuable Ale time after what you've been through. :smile:

I know I should be grateful and I don't know why I suddely have this urge to try and be a really good rider! Maybe ale will only come back sound enough for hacking, that would probably be a blessing really as maybe would chill me out a bit haha.

Has your vet given any indication of what level of soundness he expects Ale to achieve?

No clue, he's trotting and cantering absolutely sound in the field at the moment though so I'm hopeful

No clue, he's trotting and cantering absolutely sound in the field at the moment though so I'm hopeful

That's encouraging plus you did everything right for him in the early stages of his injury. Fingers crossed it will be a good outcome.

I ride my horse every single day, and I have to sacrifice other areas of my life for this to happen. I very rarely go out with friends for drinks/dinner, I have no money for clothes or shoes and my hair never gets done. We live in a smaller house then we would do if I didn't have my horse, our holidays are cheap and cheerful.

My kids always come before my horse obviously, but Ben isn't far behind. As Notpoodle says it's a lifestyle choice and one that I wouldn't change for anything.

Horses are massively expensive and time-consuming! Unless you have your own land and stables and oodles of cash - and even then - it's really hard to juggle horse ownership with parenting and work, let alone stuff like travel. It's all a compromise! I'm trying to figure out how to make it all work too. I suppose you have to decide what you want most in life - maybe that isn't a horse right now, but there's not much danger of horses going extinct so it's a hobby you could always put to one side if you want to travel the world and do all that stuff (and do it while you are still young, I wish I had travelled more but now I've got kids, that ain't gonna happen!)

It's just one of those things isn't it! There is only so much time in one day and so many responsibilities that something has to give somewhere!

I gave up having a social life when I got my horse. I rarely go out now because I just don't have the time or the money. When I do go out on a night out I realise that I prefer a quiet night in or riding so really it is a no brainer.

Right now riding is taking a bit of a back seat because it just isn't the same when it isn't your own horse (plus I can't ride whenever I want as I'm limited to certain days/times). I enjoy it but I don't have the same motivation and ambition when it is someone else's horse! I am trying to do other things with my life over the next year or two until I can afford another horse I can ride.

I am happy with my decision to give up things like nights out and travelling to have a horse though and at the end of the day I've still got plenty of time ahead to do what I want, maybe one day I will be able to afford both!

Like Squidsin said you need to work out what is most important to you and your life right now. Horses will still be around after you've gotten a bit older but equally, so will the rest of the world for you to see.
One day at a time Ale, make some plans and work out baby steps to get you to your end goal, whatever that may be. x

I have zero social life but i love filling every minute of my spare time with horses and working stupid amounts to pay for it. I never wsnted to travel but acted the young carefree i have no commitments when i was too young and am now well and truely a pipe and slippers girl at the grand old age of 28! There are no rules for when you should do things, a friend started travelling when she was nearly 50 its never too late to do the things you want to do ;-)

I think if you are a normal person you can do one or the other.

Go on holidays/travel, or have a horse.

Horses are hugely time consuming and expensive.

Happily for me, OH is a farmer who shoots as a hobby in the winter and we don't go on holiday - EVER. Nor do we ever have a weekend off from March through til September because we are busy with either lambs or ducks and I have a full time job.

I INSIST that I will continue to ride during this period and it is just tough on everything else, BUT, it means that during the weekdays I am up at 5.45am because I have my horse and lambs to do before work, and seldom home til 8pm at night after having done the same.

So I guess you have to choose whats important. No-one can have everything in life!

Its just frustrating that we can't have it all. We all work so hard and have our wonderful horses. And I want to give my horse the best care and ride him to the best of my abilities. And then I also want to do great at my job which involves doing extra hours. And then I want to run and cycle as much as I can and get really fit and do charity sportifs which all takes lots of time. And I want to own every animal in the world and spend loads of time with them. And then I want to be a great girlfriend and friend. And I want to see the world. Just not enough hours in the day haha

Pmsl i would be grateful for just 4 hours extra in a day,do you think we can petition for it somehow!! I would just fill that with more horses and dogs but still it would be nice :)

newrider.com