Is this cruel horse owner ship? (Video)

Helloalo

Jun 6, 2019
Horse Crash

Is the owners doing anything illegal in this youtube video?

Hello,first of i am not a horse entusiast rather a concerned member of the public reguarding this video of a runaway horse. I stumbled across this video on youtube which happens to be in my local area, the problem is we have a lot of problems with travellers in this area.

I would simply like to know by the horse owners community if these owners are braking any laws reguarding the horse accident featured on the video. I am concened for the wellfare of these owners horsers and if need be can report it to the local authorities.

Thanks for reading

I hope they have third party insurance and I hope they got the vet.
Not sure if those are a legal requirement with driving.
What law do you think they have broken?

Oh god, I wish I could unsee that! I don't know about the legalities I'm afraid, but I HATE seeing these horses thundering along tarmac roads for miles and miles. The concussion on their legs must be hideous. We have them here, going 6 miles on a busy bypass one way, then 6 miles back. Honestly, if I were you, I'd report it, anonymously, if you'd prefer. There must have been damage to the car at the very least, and the poor horse should at least be checked over. Ghastly. I hope the driver of the horse got some bloody big bruises, if not worse.

As horrible as that looks, I couldn't see there was anyone in the cart at the time of impact, suggesting the horse had already bolted (run away), then collided with the car and was thrown across the road and scared and took off again, so I don't think anyone made the horse do it or purposefully put it into a dangerous situation (in this video). Perhaps they did before the video and that's how the horse got loose in the first place, but you can't tell that from this video. Accidents do happen with horses, sometimes with the best of intent they can get loose and get into accidents. Of course you wouldn't do any harm by reporting it (if it was recent) so that a charity could send someone to check the horse is receiving the proper care for any injuries sustained, if there were any.

Reactions: carthorse
From that video clip it was an accident, and the result of a previous accident that allowed the horse to get away. No intention for it to happen, no cruelty. Maybe not even any carelessness since you don't know what had happened before - there could be an injured driver and groom further back and people desperately trying to find the horse.

As you dont know what happened before this video started and it doesnt seem to have anyone around the horse or standing on the sledge. It cant be considered cruelty. More chance it was a freak accident.
As a carriage driver myself I can tell you that freak accidents do occasionally occur. A very similar thing happened to me whilst I was training to drive mine a few years ago. This video brings back memories of mine the day he bolted. I can tell you it left me very shaken and resulted in me not trying to break my horse for another 7 months. Glad to say that my horse is now happily driving.
This can happen to someone even trying to break there horse to be ridden.
I would be far more worried if the horses were being neglected by starvation or beaten.

newrider.com