Is this a very sad year for NR?

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Maybe I'm feeling a tad gloomy after losing my lovely dog recently, but have you noticed how many of us seem to be either losing our horse or pets or struggling to keep them going this year?:frown:

Perhaps I am just more aware, because of my own loss, I dont know really. anyone else feel the pain?

It seems so many of us have lost our companions, and also that many of us are struggling with big health issues with them. Ellie worrying her owner, Coby putting the frighteners on hers, now Chanter also doing the same and so it goes on.

I won't even name all those that have been lost, tis too depressing for all of us. But IS this a particularly bad year/few months or am I on a downer do you think?:redface:

I don't think this year has been particularly bad, i remember last year being similar with people losing family friends etc.

When you lose an animal it does tend to make you think more about the sad things in life.

As well as the losses and illnesses here on NR I have two friends in the last month who's horses have been PTS, it has really hit me how precious our four legged friends are, I dread having to go through the pain that will inevitably come my way, the price we pay for loving such wonderful creatures.

I don't think this year has been particularly bad, i remember last year being similar with people losing family friends etc.

When you lose an animal it does tend to make you think more about the sad things in life.

Perhaps you are right Innocence - I expect I am feeling more sensitive to this sort of thing than normal and maybe subconsciously I am noticing this type of thread more?

I do think you are right though about losing family members, much as I love my motley crew of assorted beasts, I do realise losing a family member or a close friend does go far higher on the Richter scale.....but both seem to leave me reeling nowadays!:redface: I think as I get closer to the grim reaper I am getting more morbid about it all!:redcarded: Shall give myself a quick kick up the posterior and get on with life!:smile:

I've got a little piggy struggling to learn how to walk after a horrible accident :frown: 5 weeks on, and she's starting to find her feet again with water therapy. She's a shadow of her former self though, drying her, i realized just how much she's shrunk over the last week. she hasn't lost any weight for the last few days, but guessing it's muscle wastage due to lack of mobility.
We've spent pretty much 9 months of this year fighting nasty eye infections, a leg injury, then this, paralysis brought on by a fall due to a scare. It's been a really horrid experience, and it's only her will to live that's kept her here.

There does seem to have been a lot of losses of late, it's hard to keep up with the condolences, but i'm trying, hugs to you all who have lost a beloved pet XX

I had also been thinking that it seems to have been a tough couple of weeks for NR, but perhaps I'm a little sensitive too... my elderly dog has had a recent bad spell too... it brings it all home doesn't it?

Was it the bad summer as well? I am very homesick for my old share horse. Have hardly been riding. Tho I promise myself I will next week.

I think we might just be feeling it more due to us being 'closer' than before with our group?

But does feel like a cac year. For me too. I'm luckier than those who have genuinely lost their animals, but I've sort of lost mine too, though hopefully only temporarily. I can visit and its the right thing to do, but doesn't stop me missing him like mad :(

I too think there has been a lot of folk losing dogs and horses and much loved pets, There seems to have been a rash.

I lost my collie suddenly 3 weeks ago, I had to have my ancient cat PTS. But that does not count, that was planned. Horrid. But there seem to have been a lot od sudden losses.

I agree, but I am clearly sensitive to it just now. Everything seems to have happened at once for me....no time to realise its coming until decisions have to be made.

I never realised it would hurt this bad, it's something about that bond, trust and reliance. Losing a dog is like losing a family member, losing a horse is like losing part of you.

My heart goes out to everyone else who has gone through tough times this year, but it makes me smile that some pulled through. Please can everyone give their horses an extra squeeze, you never know what's around the corner.

I also have bad news about Xanders new stable mate. He's only 5, he started messing about with his bit a few weeks ago and just looking a little uncomfy, so she got vet out to check teeth. Thought one needed removing. Then thought there was an infection under said tooth. Anti Bs didn't clear it so they took him to hospital for further tests. She just heard today that he actually had a tumour in his jaw that they don't think they can operate on :( they're gonna speak to Newmarket apparently but it's not looking good. And he's only 5 :( :( :(
Girl is devastated. Literally 3 weeks ago I was up there and vet was booked but nothing done yet, she was toying with trying a different bit in case he just didnt like his. It started THAT recently and THAT simply. Now it's likely he's gonna have to be PTS :/

Sorry to hear others are having a tough year. 2011 was my most trying year as I lost my mum to cancer but Jazz helped me through it. I also had my gall bladder out and there were those huge earthquakes down in my hometown. I also had my 17 year old cat, Rusty put down.

2012 has been good for me. I've just finished my Masters degree, Jazz just gets better and better under saddle and I've started jumping Cheeky again and having a blast. Work is great and I have wonderful friends. :)

I have had a tuff year also. The weather has been rubbish and a lot of ups and downs with money, illness and some loses.

I think its pretty general tbh. I am counting my blessings as I know a lot of people who are much worse off than me.

Keep your chin up, I am sure things will improve....eventually:smile:

This is getting silly, Looked on FB this morning and another friend has just lost her dog.

Just back on NR this morning. Very sorry to hear of your loss Cortrasna. It does feel as though there have been a lot of sadness on NR this Autumn & we are probably all a bit raw about it. Lots of healing vibes to all those effected

I have had a tough year as well losing my brother earlier in the year unexpectedly. I have not had much luck horse wise, i have had a lot of expensive electrical items pack up on me and had 2 months where work paid me late which caused a few issues :banghead:

I also know of a few people who have also had a bad year health wise ( ectopic pregnancy, 2 friends diagnosed with chrons disease & another who is having to go some serious tests as she has lost all feeling in her leg & is permanently dizzy)

The only events i have enjoyed this year were the olympics and the paralympics.

I cant wait to see the backend of this awful year..Its been :poop:

I feel it does seem to have been a tough year.

Love and sympathy to everyone who has suffered, and I think it's great that we are here for each other.

It hasn't been a great year for me either, I've been waiting to see the back of it and hoping 2013 is going to be a lot better!

Sorry for everyone's losses. It does seem like there have been many, it's made me fearful of losing any of mine.

I think we might just be feeling it more due to us being 'closer' than before with our group?

But does feel like a cac year. For me too. I'm luckier than those who have genuinely lost their animals, but I've sort of lost mine too, though hopefully only temporarily. I can visit and its the right thing to do, but doesn't stop me missing him like mad :(

I think you might be right - because we are a closer knit group than some we share more and tend to notice these things.

I am eternally grateful for all the support when things do go wrong tho - you lot are fab!

I feel it does seem to have been a tough year.

Love and sympathy to everyone who has suffered, and I think it's great that we are here for each other.

Yes love and sympathy to everyone who has suffered.
For me 2011 was more of a year of loss. This year seems to have been full of new beginnings in my case

newrider.com