Is this a good part loan deal?

doolally_tap

Jun 3, 2007
Hi folks - I haven't been on here for AGES!!! but it's nice to be back :)

I need your wisdom and opinions on a pony I've just looked at this morning for my 9 year old son to ride.

I've part-loaned in the past, but only ever for myself - I've now decided to put my own horsey needs on the back-burner and get something for my son who is currently just off lead rein at walk and trot.

So I've been to view a pony this morning (without my son) and have a couple of concerns.....

Firstly, the pony is 12.3hh and around 17 years old, been there, done that, got the T-shirt type. Ex riding school pony who will apparently go off voice commands from person teaching as well as being responsive to rider at all times. I'm concerned, however that he is ridden in a full cheek french link snaffle - should I be??

Secondly, the pony is on DIY and the owner wants someone who can do 3 days a week, will full responsibility on those days. She was originally asking for £25 a week, but as she was reassured by my experience she said she would take £20. The pony only costs her less than £50. I'm not being mean, but I've part-loaned in the past and the going rate where I live is £20 a week for a 16hh horse! I am justifying the price to myself by thinking that ponies who are safe and confidence giving are hard to find.

What do you guys think? Should I go for it? I've made an arrangement to take my son to see the pony on Sunday afternoon. I know for a fact he will fall head over heels as soon as he sees him, so need to get the facts sorted in my head first.

Opinions!! ......

For me it's not about what others charge or pay to keep their ponies, it's about finding the right pony with an owner you can get on with at a price that suits you. I think if you can find a better deal on another pony as good then go out and find it and pass on this one.

£20-£25pw for a 3 days sounds like a good deal to me down here in Hampshire but then I don't know what things are like in your area.

I personally wouldn't be worried about a full cheek as it is no worse than a hanging cheek imho :)

I've never part-loaned so have no idea about costings although JC makes a good point.

With the bit I wouldn't worry, if the pony likes it and does his job with it then I can't see a problem.

Good luck with pony hunting!

The full cheek may be just so young and novicey riders don't pull the bit through the ponies mouth, because it's a French link, its not like it's a strong bit.
And secondly, it's usually about £20 to for any part loan, there isn't really that much difference between whether it's a big horse of little pony. :smile:

i think price wise i think its fair....at the end of the day livery charges are usually the same whether a pony or a horse...so when you factor in insurance, feed, farrier, hay etc i think £20-£25 is fair.

I think the price sounds fair. After all it's not the purchase price you are paying for but part of the upkeep. I have a miniature that costs the same as all the big horses for the dentist, worming, vaccinations, agistment ect... The only difference is she doesn't need feeding. She is an 8hh tub who lives on the smell of grass and needs to be locked up half the time to stop her getting obese.

As for the bit. I actually think that is a good bit. It's a French link so has a kind action and the full cheek bars aren't a problem in my book.

Think how much a riding lesson costs you, this pony is under £7 a ride plus your son will also get to learn about stable management.

Pony sounds fantastic and like he will do wonders for your son's riding, it might be an idea to buy yourself a couple of books about teaching children to ride and start off with some lesson plans (make them FUN though) as really small children have little to no idea what to do on their own (usually going fast is the name of the game once they start getting brave!)

So yes, I think it's a good idea!

Very good deal I would say .... diy livery prices in my area are the same whatever size horse/pony you have, as are shoes, vet call out fees etc.

Go for it, I am sure your son ( and you ) will have some great times with this pony..... not you riding it of course :wink:

Have fun :dance: Look forward to seeing some pics

Thanks for your replies :smile:

You've totally reassured me regarding the bit - I'm no expert on bitting as you can tell!!

As for the price - if the pony is as great as I'm told he is, then I can't put a price on that and the safety of my child....... so £20 it will be.

I'm fairly confident that my son will absolutely fall in love with him - he is such a handsome little thing - gorgeous light dun with black mane and tail. I'll post pics as soon as the deal is done.

Can't wait to get stuck in to be honest :wavespin:

xx

The pony sounds ideal for a little un!

I think it's a good deal too. My sharer pays £25 a week, and he probably doesn't cost much more than a little pony! I think that's a pretty standard price.

Re the bit, you could ask why the pony has that bit. It may be as Skyenfaye suggested above that it's to stop the little uns pulling the reins through (although of course they shouldn't be pulling that hard, but it happens!). It could be something so simple as the pony came with that bit and goes well in it and as the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

I too would say the full cheek is so that if he has novicey riders on him at all they are not in danger of pulling the bit through his mouth, but if you are unsure ASK:biggrin:

I am looking for a Rider for Bert at the moment, I am desperate to get him doing more as Leilani cannot be here everyweek because of the way I work.

I WON'T be charging though, will be grateful to get the 'right' people come along who are reliable. Slight difference is that Bert is only 4, was backed last year and although he has been a star and loves the Kids, he CAN, being a Shetland, have his moments:biggrin: I know he is fine on leadrein but don't have a clue as to how he would be without:wink:

However I WILL BE TOTALLY HONEST about that one:giggle::wink:

Considering the price of Lessons, as somebody else has said, I think £20 is a great price to not only ride but to learn to care for the Pony as well.

Last edited:
newrider.com