Is there still a nervous nellies club...

NVA

Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
...and if so can I join? I'm just getting back into riding regularly after time off for maternity and other things, and seem to have become even more of a bag of nerves than I used to be! Looking back over my posts from years ago, I used to have a real canter block and then got over it and loved it...now I seem to be heaps worse than I ever was. I started riding again on and off about a year ago and it was all going fine, but now it is going downhill. Cantering on a hack terrifies me since the horse bolted a few months ago, but now even cantering in the school scares me which hasn't happened for ages. It seems to have come on really quickly; a few months ago I was jumping and now I don't even like trot. I've started doing a BHS course at the local college one evening a week and am sitting here quaking at the thought that I have to go tonight. So I think I'm a proper nervous nelly and hope I've come to the right place...

Any ideas on finding lost confidence most welcome. Riding is the one thing I do "for myself" rather than being mum / employee / wife, and at the moment I'm just not enjoying it.

N

yes there is still a nervous nellie club :)

Riding is the one thing I do "for myself" rather than being mum / employee - same as me.

give yourself time, being a new mom is bound to be tough on the nerve front and who says you have to canter yet ;) you? give youself a nice safety zone to ride in just for pleasure, just things you feel comfortable doing, no rules you have to canter on a hack or round the school -OR trott - there are lots of fun things you can do in walk for a while :)

Oh yes, we still have a nervous nellies club :D

I keep forgetting that I am one though - until anyone mentions the word "jumping" and my mouth is already forming the words "Oooo I don't do that" before I've even thought about it! :p

My personal way of dealing with being nervous is to stay within my comfort limit until I get bored and want to try something new :D Progress is slower, but more assured ;)

Certainly is a nervous nellies club! hehe. I lost my cantering confidence when I moved yards 6 months ago and I'm just getting it back. I don't really know why it went (think it was mainly cos my mare struggled to settle and was very spooky for a while). I have taken it very slowly - OH has encouraged me - but even now, I don't push myself to canter just for the sake of it - I'm still working on my walking and a nice forward going active trot. Good luck to you - hope your college course goes well!

Alive and kicking here in Kent... :eek:

My ankles are still a bit jellyfied after this morning's dainty walk :eek: :eek:

Can I join?

I've just bought my first pony (3 weeks ago) and am struggling with my confidence as we get to know each other. I have just learnt that my lesson has been brought forward from Wednesday to tonight and have the cobby wobbles already:eek:

I am pushing myself to go out hacking - only short walk and trot hacks and having regular lessons - but for now am definitely a NERVOUS NELLIE:)

Yup, another one here too.

IF you don't like Cantering,,,,, then don't!!

Only do what you are comfortable with.
Riding is for your enjoyment and if you don't want to do something..........

If you only feel like walking, then just walk!

Another thing to learn is the "one rein stop". This is a great way to shut down an horse before they get going. Is like an extra safety switch.

I'm sorry but after this mornings do with Captain I am not renewing my membership. He decided to screwbuck his round the school. All I could do was laugh at his attempts to tell me off. :D :p

I used to be like this with my share, when I first started riding her I was terrified, and the end of our time together I just used to laugh. Can't wait to be like that with Sonny

Nervous Nellies are alive and well and lurking on the forums!

The most important thing to do is to KEEP BREATHING. Something I frequently forget to do! Gasping for lack of oxygen really doesn't help the nerves one bit. Oh, and sit right back in the saddle too - does anyone else start to lean forward at the first hint of trouble?

Meanwhile, lots of walking, spiralling, serpentines etc to make sure the horse is listening to you helps the confidence no end.

Excellent - hello all
Blue in the face and pitching forwards sounds like a very good description of me at the moment!
The problem with the course is that I thought the riding was going to be quite gentle and basic (when I phoned up I was told it would be walk and trot only), but everyone is quie advanced and so it is being pitched to a higher level. So I think my comfort level might have to increase a bit, although I'm sure the instructor won't have a problem if I say I'd rather not canter for a bit. I'll just look like a wimp in front of the others, but I can cope with that.

Will post tomorrow morning to let you know how I got on. At least I sneaked away to the stables yesterday and shadowed one of the instructors for a while so now (hopefully) will be able to tack up; another thing I thought that the ultra-basic course would teach...

N

I used to be like this with my share, when I first started riding her I was terrified, and the end of our time together I just used to laugh. Can't wait to be like that with Sonny

It takes time to be able to laugh at horses tantrums.:p I have owned Captain 2 yrs and 2 months. I find myself laughing quite a bit these days. If he had of been a fizzy head with me when I first bought him I would of crawled into a corner and cried. :eek: It is only because he has given me so much confidence I want to do more than he wants. :p

Yes there is. Though I am more scared of idiot authoritarian RIs than I am of horses.

Cantering on a hack terrifies me since the horse bolted a few months ago, but now even cantering in the school scares me which hasn't happened for ages. It seems to have come on really quickly; a few months ago I was jumping and now I don't even like trot. I've started doing a BHS course at the local college one evening a week and am sitting here quaking at the thought that I have to go tonight. So I think I'm a proper nervous nelly and hope I've come to the right place...

I agree with others who say don't canter till you feel ready and happy.
However, another approach is more like maths.
Be specific about the problem. We all need brakes in canter but you are advanced enough to manage more than simple half halts and emergency stops.
Control in canter?
Nervous of a class?
Take a private lesson or two.
Find someone who gives lunge lessons and will teach you to transition down from canter on the lunge (you'll be very safe).
Do what I did this summer. Learn canter to trot and canter to walk and you will discover you can be precise, preparing for the transition three paces before you actually want it. And transitioning down opposite an exact letter on the school.
Once you get the hang of it, you'll probably feel safe to try off the lunge. Then, out hacking you can try twenty paces canter, twenty trot, twenty canter. Count out loud, if you like. It will reassure you so much, because it puts you in control of the horse, and it is a salutary reminder to riding school horses that you expect them to pay attention, even in canter.

Yes, I'm still a member :eek: As I move on past the things that felt like they were white knuckle stuff, I begin to do new stuff that feels the same :eek: The idea of Canter used to make me come over all pale and quivering! Now I'm past that, Its other things. I'm just beginning to hack out a little again and I'm not confident with that at all. Also I get my first horsebox on 21st and apparantly I'll be taking my mare out and about in it ........ never done anything like that before ... :eek: :eek:

Another thing to learn is the "one rein stop". This is a great way to shut down an horse before they get going. Is like an extra safety switch.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for being dosy, what is this "one rein stop"?

newrider.com