Is there anyone (else other than me) who absolutely hates being pregnant?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I have a 2 year old son who I completely adore and am now 15 weeks pregnant with my second. I can't wait to have another baby when he (or she) actually arrives and my family will be complete.

However, I HATE being pregnant. I am so sick, can't stay awake for more than 5 hours at a time, am really fat, need to go to the toilet every 5 minutes and completely miserable. I have already been signed off work for 4 weeks and although I am now back part time I'm not coping very well with it. I obviously can't ride in the state that I am in which has taken away my 'me' time and the thing that I looked forward to most.

Everyone seems to think that I am evil for saying that I hate pregnancy and expects me to be this 'glowing' happy person. If anyone else tells me to eat ginger biscuits or that I will feel better soon I think that I will kill them. I still have 25 weeks to go which is so depressing.

I don't really know why I am posting this, other than hoping that someone will understand or at least not make me feel like I am the most dreadful person in the world. Has anyone else not enjoyed their pregnancy?

I hated being pregnant too. I didn't say that to many people for the same reasons as you. I have a wonderful son who's 12 now though :)

A good friend loves the pregnancy bit though and has had four. If it wasn't for her age, I'm sure she'd have had more!

A good friend loves the pregnancy bit though and has had four. If it wasn't for her age, I'm sure she'd have had more!

I always said that I wanted 3, but after this pregnancy we are stopping at 2 with the promise from my husband that I can buy a horse as soon as I feel ready to. 2 babies and a horse sounds like a good family to me.

I hated every minute of both pregnancies. Really sick for first 3 months, swollen ankles, sore pubic bone, back ache, headaches, tiredness, heartburn, wind (oh no sorry, I always have that :eek:). But my kids are great thankfully! WOuld definitely buy a puppy instead next time! My friend has 7 kids - each 2 years apart :eek:.

Don't feel guilty! I loathed being pregnant. Had hyperemesis with my 2nd (twin) pregnancy and HATED it. I'm a very active, healthy person normally, and the pregnant me was this weird, fat, sick imposter.

My morning sickness continued till about 24 hours AFTER DELIVERY! (But that's extremely rare so don't panic.)

But the kids are fabulous and it does end (eventually!)
Ginger tea never did much good, but Salt & Vinegar crisps were a bit of a life-line:D

I'm pleased that I'm not the only one who doesn't think that this is the most magical time of my life. I can't wait to meet my baby and start do all the fun baby things, I just wish that I didn't have to go through this.

I have a HUGE bump already. I'm only 5ft 3" and look like I am about 6 months instead of 4. Still, I haven't been sick today so things are looking up!

Yes, I've only got two children but I loathed being pregnant both times, not helped by me suffering from the most awful nausea for the first couple of months.

TBH I think pregnancy would be much better if it was for a term of six month, not nine months. It drags on so much at the end and, just to make matters worse, both of mine were two weeks overdue and I had to be induced.

Worst time of my life honestly, although it probably didn't help that I didn't get much in the way of support from my OH :(

I enjoyed pregnancy more than I did being a mum
I had a horrible relationship with my sons dad after awhile, left him when son was 2 1/2 , never got any support from family regarding babysitting, and sons dad tortured me for years after the split! Son is 17 now and hasnt seen dad for over 4 years, nearly 5
does that make me sound horrible, but all in all it wasnt a good experience:confused:

I enjoyed pregnancy more than I did being a mum
I had a horrible relationship with my sons dad after awhile, left him when son was 2 1/2 , never got any support from family regarding babysitting, and sons dad tortured me for years after the split! Son is 17 now and hasnt seen dad for over 4 years, nearly 5
does that make me sound horrible, but all in all it wasnt a good experience:confused:

No that doesn't make you sound horrible at all. Being a parent is the most difficult thing in the world and I wish that people were more honest about their experiences of parenthood as well as pregnancy. I'm lucky that I have a very supportive husband, I would be totally lost without his support. It must have been hard on your own.

I had a terrible pregnancy. I had gestational diabetes, emergency surgery to have my appendix removed when I was five months along, and from about four months, I had so much pain in my lower back/pelvic area that I cried every time I walked up or down the stairs or rolled over (or tried ;) ) in bed. I got frustrated when I had to stop feeding horses/mucking stalls/lifting hay bales and riding. I was miserable the last month or so, so much so that I burst into tears at the OB's office and couldn't wait for it to be over...

And what is it about being pregnant that makes complete strangers think they can touch me?!?!?! (And even worse...what is it about having a newborn that makes complete strangers think they can touch or pick up HER?!? :mad: )

Yet I'm really looking forward to being pregnant again when we have our second child (not even thinking about it for at least another year, but still...). Having her in there, flipping and kicking me...it was the most amazing thing int he world!

so I guess I both hated it and loved it... :confused:

No that doesn't make you sound horrible at all. Being a parent is the most difficult thing in the world and I wish that people were more honest about their experiences of parenthood as well as pregnancy. I'm lucky that I have a very supportive husband, I would be totally lost without his support. It must have been hard on your own.

I was all my son had, he didnt sleep through the night til he was 8, panicked constantly that Id be gone when he woke up, I think his dad fulled his head with ribbish when he seen him:mad:

best wishes to all those mums to be soon, hope the rest of your pregnancies go well:)

I am 37weeks pregnant at the moment and i have a 1year old son already.
This pregnancy really has taken it out of me, I have felt ill and tired and breathless, i didnt feel anything like this with my son.
I really struggled when we had the hot weather recently, i oftern sit and think am i ever going to feel normal again.

We had this baby through ivf and i am wondering if that is why i have felt worse. Or maybe its because im older :eek: (30)

I do feel for you though, i really cant wait until i have her but i dnt think any more after this one will be on my cards.

I didn't enjoy my pregnancies particularly when I gave up riding. Hubby was very supportive and let me ride for a as long as I wanted & then I had to have twelve weeks off riding after birth due to c-sections. :mad:

Oh, wow...12 weeks!? I only went five weeks before getting on a horse again :eek: And I had a C-section, and got pneumonia from the surgery...I hung on as long as I could, though... :p

Oh, wow...12 weeks!? I only went five weeks before getting on a horse again :eek: And I had a C-section, and got pneumonia from the surgery...I hung on as long as I could, though... :p

I had to wait 5 months after my previous c-section before I could ride again. However, this was due to not being able to rest when my son was born because he was in intensive care. His ward was 2 floors down from the postnatal ward and I had to keep walking between the 2 (up and down the stairs as well!) so I could see him. I caused myself lots of problems by not letting myself heal, but in the circumstances there wasn't much else I could have done.

I am 37weeks pregnant at the moment and i have a 1year old son already.
This pregnancy really has taken it out of me, I have felt ill and tired and breathless, i didnt feel anything like this with my son.
I really struggled when we had the hot weather recently, i oftern sit and think am i ever going to feel normal again.

We had this baby through ivf and i am wondering if that is why i have felt worse. Or maybe its because im older :eek: (30)

I do feel for you though, i really cant wait until i have her but i dnt think any more after this one will be on my cards.

I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes I have to really push myself to remind myself that I haven't always felt so tired, sick and dreadful all the time. At least you are nearing the end and can get your body back to yourself again soon. I always said that I wanted 3 children, but after this pregnancy I will have to think very long and hard if I can take it again. I do love babies though and can't wait to have a newborn again.

And, at 30 you really are not old at all to have a baby. I am 32 and one of the youngest people among my 'mummy friends'. I know several people who have had children well into their 40's.

Heh, I also hated literally every single thing about being pragnant, the 17 weeks of sickness, the having to go to the loo constantly, the feeling huge (although apparantly I was really small), the sleeplessness, the exhaustion, the hospital stays because of dodgy blood pressure, being starving but throwing up everything you eat, restless legs (God, I really hated that), that pain when your pelvis starts to prepare itself about 8 weeks before birth that means you can't sit down/stand up without help, and I could actually go on and on.
And that's without not being able to ride and the actual birth bit....
Although I love my son very, very much it definatley isn't something I want to do again.

I had to wait 5 months after my previous c-section before I could ride again. However, this was due to not being able to rest when my son was born because he was in intensive care. His ward was 2 floors down from the postnatal ward and I had to keep walking between the 2 (up and down the stairs as well!) so I could see him. I caused myself lots of problems by not letting myself heal, but in the circumstances there wasn't much else I could have done.

Oh dear :( I hope this pregnancy and delivery goes a LOT better for you and your little one!

I did get my lesson taught to me for getting on before I was supposed to - I was thrown off a horse they SAID was well trained...and quite badly injured myself. I guess that shows me to listen to my doctors next time! :eek:

newrider.com