is there a nh version of turning away/roughing off?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Question in title really, I partly turnaway/rough off my lad over winter.

Someone said that's not natural, um ok but we still go out for a mosey and play online if i can find somewhere, i hop on bareback for a plod around, he's just not fit in work.

Riding a horse is not natural, neither is keeping it in a field or giving it veterinary care etc, do what suits you and your horse! :) Personally I think turning them away for a bit can be very beneficial at times.

The use of 'natural' in this context annoys me (thats not directed at you, I know you weren't using it like that). I am interested in the 'natural' methods but it is a total misnomer, they are not 'natural' at all, they are alternative, and in many cases actually traditional but no method is natural and natural is not necessarily nice - nature is red in tooth and claw......

Someone said that's not natural, .

Am a bit confused :confused: what's not natural now ?? .. turning away a horse ? I would think that a horse just being out and not being ridden was pretty natural :confused:

Being in a field and left to own devices is about as natural as a domesticated horse is going to get I would say.. I agree with Esther.. the word natural is annoying in some contexts..

Personally I think turning them away for a bit can be very beneficial at times.QUOTE]

Yes and at end of day it's my pony and we've been doing 40 miles a week over summer so both us want a break.

The use of 'natural' in this context annoys me (thats not directed at you said:
Yes i know know directed at me, I was just repeating what was said to me, just because i have interest in nh and train this way, does that mean i cannot turn pony away? Well he's mine i will if i want to.

Am a bit confused :confused: what's not natural now ?? .. turning away a horse ? I would think that a horse just being out and not being ridden was pretty natural :confused:

Being in a field and left to own devices is about as natural as a domesticated horse is going to get I would say.. I agree with Esther.. the word natural is annoying in some contexts..

this is what I found odd BIrish it was as if this was somehow wrong thing to do. Since when!

Personally I think just because i have interest in nh and train this way, does that mean i cannot turn pony away? Well he's mine i will if i want to.

precisely! You do what you like, he's yours.

sorry if I had a rant :eek: it just annoys me when people start to say one thing isn't 'natural' and another thing is when they are daft things like that, as BIrish says, there is not much more natural really than being out eating grass!

eta - not sure what happened to my quote, it wasn't me who wrote it, it was you :confused:

this is what I found odd BIrish it was as if this was somehow wrong thing to do. Since when!

Sometimes I think the "Natural" thing can go to far I think.. If turning away / horse being out, unshod and woolly isn't natural then what is ? Do you have to fly him out to the Rocky Mountains and set him free into the wild ? ;):D

I'd take no notice am sure that Jack is perfectly happy mooching about doing his own thing with the odd bit of light entertainment from being ridden!

It might be a bit more 'natural' if you got permission to let him run out in the new forest for example, but it doesn't really have anything to do with NH :D

rocky mountains, now he'd like that if there were mares around:D

Yes i agree it can go ott, just because i do training if i do something else it's well that's not right you shouldn't do that.

I did have someone come up to me at show as i had whip, "i thought you did natural" well yes but can you see me in the ring with orange stick, I think not:rolleyes:.

I explained it was one of my phases and he would get opportunity to move his feet before i hit him with it, non violently of course. (in other words, go foxtrot!)

Esther.D yes not sure on the quotes, and i thought I'd got hang on it.

Sometimes I think the "Natural" thing can go to far I think.. If turning away / horse being out, unshod and woolly isn't natural then what is ? Do you have to fly him out to the Rocky Mountains and set him free into the wild ? ;):D

The Rocky Mountains are hardly 'natural' either, given that Equus became extinct in the Americas around 11,000 years ago, until re-introduced by European explorers just a few hundred years ago. Mind you, their extinction was a totally natural event, so would probably be considered by those who worship the natural, to be a 'good thing'.

The term 'natural' irritates the he11 out of me, too. it is an immensely misleading term; NO interaction which the human has with the horse, other than hunting it, killing it and eating it, is 'natural' for the horse!

Riding a horse is not natural, neither is keeping it in a field or giving it veterinary care etc, do what suits you and your horse! :) Personally I think turning them away for a bit can be very beneficial at times.

The use of 'natural' in this context annoys me (thats not directed at you, I know you weren't using it like that). I am interested in the 'natural' methods but it is a total misnomer, they are not 'natural' at all, they are alternative, and in many cases actually traditional but no method is natural and natural is not necessarily nice - nature is red in tooth and claw......

I like like that! natural is not nec nice - nature is red on tooth and claw.:cool:

And how on earth can someone come to the conclusion that turning away/roughing off is not natural!! Surely it's about as natural as it gets?

When I first got Lydia, I turned her out in a field with the rest of my lot and just left her alone for 2 months. I did nothing but check her over once a day, make sure she had 4 legs and two eyes, but I did'nt try and interact with her in any way other than that. She was sooo much better to handle once I did start a bit of interaction. It was the best thing to do. Just letting them be horses on completely their own terms with very little human interference can be great for them.

Last edited:
i've since had another chat with Q as i'll call her, apparently it's because i SHOULD be doing something with him

Leaving him is a waste-get stuffed!:rolleyes:
Your not riding him at all:eek:, yes i hop on bareback, he's filthy
Why have a pony- Now don't even go there luv:mad:

SHOULD be doing something with him!!??

Maybe she SHOULD be doing what she wants to do and maybe she SHOULD leave you to do what you want to do.

People just love to interfere don't they?:mad:

So what if you never ride him again! So what if you ride him every day! The main reason I can't bear livery yards is that I can't be doing with people imparting their oh so experienced advice on others when its not been asked for.:confused:

The Rocky Mountains are hardly 'natural' either, given that Equus became extinct in the Americas around 11,000 years ago, until re-introduced by European explorers just a few hundred years ago. Mind you, their extinction was a totally natural event, so would probably be considered by those who worship the natural, to be a 'good thing'.

The term 'natural' irritates the he11 out of me, too. it is an immensely misleading term; NO interaction which the human has with the horse, other than hunting it, killing it and eating it, is 'natural' for the horse!

Old Woman - You are a legend :D :D

Newforest - Tell Q to b*gger off. There is no such thing as a wasted horse..

newrider.com