Is there a lack of good saddle fitters about?

DebO

Sep 11, 2002
South Coast, UK
Visit site
Is it me or does anyone else think there seems to be a lack of good saddle fitters around these days, particularly in the South area.

What decent saddle fitters are there in and around the Portsmouth area say 40-60 mile radius?

DebO

Ive had a couple of saddle fitters around here, gave up in the end after my horse started trying to kill me when I tacked her up and developed muscle wastage.
I read up on saddle fitting and fit them myself for a while, and then changed to treeless and still fit them myself.

I don't have the confidence to fit them myself, so have eventually found what I hope is a decent saddle fitter. The lack of them is pretty apparent up north too!

I think half the problem seems to be with these short 'saddle-fitting courses' intended originally I think to give riders/owners/instructors a basic training in fitting so as to identify when a saddler is needed before it becomes obvious. I suspect an abundance of 'saddlers' and 'saddle fitters' may have taken a few of these short sessions, without any examination, or real in depth training before going into the business, claiming knowledge which many owners/riders probably follow almost blindly...because they havn't undergone the training to know otherwise.

I know personally I didn't really do any research to know much about fitting myself until I experienced problems with fitters at which point I tried to find out what I could in order to recognise positive and negatives in a fitting.

Certainly a problem though!

I can highly recommend Jane from Lonacres in Borley Green.

She comes from a behavioural background.

Only thing with her though is that if you get her to order anything you seem to need to continually chase her up.

My yard mate had Martin (somebody or other - sorry I forget his surname) and I was very impressed with his patter but haven't really seen her since to know how the fitting worked out for them.

There is someone I can definately recommend steering clear of. He has a history of overstuffing saddles and saying they fit when they don't, he also isn't a master saddler but when I realise this I was told this was because of the fees involved. Pm me if you want because I won't post his name on a puplic forum.

My best friend is a saddle fitter or is that was a saddle fitter...
She started making saddles then went in to the fitting side...
she is now looking for another job as folks are calling her out
to measure and fit buy saddles.then once got right measurements
going off to ebay and buying saddles...she cant afford to carry on her job
anymore..

newrider.com