Is she too big????

magicsmum

Jul 29, 2006
I have told my daughter this weekend shes too big for her pony, she adores, have said we will loan her out rather than sell her if we can find something bigger for her. Magic is a 13.2hh pony we have had for 2 years, I know its hardfor her to part with Magic, as the 2 of them have been through so much together. She came to us a skinny,nervous wreck, Laura had totally lost all her confidiencre after a string of horrilbe ponies. Everyone said we were silly to keep her but she has turned out to be the most honest , confidence giving pony a girl could wish for. They both totally trust each other. Have had a really good season, being placed in every show they have been too, mostly 1st and 2nds show jumping. Have had a go xcountry and done a couple of ODE and placed both times. Daughter has grown lots lately and to me looks too big, dont think weight is an issue or they wouldnt still be winning. I have sat here tonight feeling so mean, trying to part her from her beloved Magic, but she wants to do more than Magic is capable of, they have been doing 2-2ft6in all year. Done pony club rallies,sponsered rides, gymkana. Shes had little kids round her and loves them but isnt a lead rein pony at all. Any one can ride her, she never runs off or is strong. Hacks out both alone and in company, boxes well, good in traffic, lives on farm so tractors no problem either.

Do I keep her happy and keep Magic or try and find a home for her now. It would have to be a very special home, even though she is brillant at what she does there are still and always will be a few niggly things that we dont bother about but maybe others wouldnt like. She can be diffcult to catch but can be over come by keeping her headcollar on and until she knows you,use a bucket and food, also keep in small paddock on own. Doesnt like water or clippers, usually ok if twitched, we dont bother unless really necessary. Can only be cold shod, we only have fronts on when shes doing lots of roa work, no need for back, and have very calm farrier who she trusts. Doesnt like fly sprays etc. In the wrong hands think she would revert back to her old nervous ways. Would people be willing to take her on with all this baggage.

I really dont know what to do. Daugther says she would rather give up than part with magic because she could never ride another one like she does her. Shesa very light handed rider and finds others strong after magic.

Guess I am waffling now but need some advice.

102_0080.jpg

xRJMZBxkhVXCEjTz98vkNSxwMtnq76rM030.jpg

Depending on the rate your daughter is growing, I'd say she has about another year - as long as she feels comfortable on her.

I think both your daughter and the pony look Great together :D

As long as both parties are happy with what they are doing then whats the harm in still riding the pony, but then again im 23 years old and still ride a 13.2hh pony too :)

If you don't mind me asking, how much does your daughter weigh and how tall is she?

It's up to her but if she's not too tall and (she doesn't look it, not by a long way) too heavy - then I don't see why she can't stay on Magic if she's happy staying with in Magic's limits. Check out the adults riding ponies section!

Thanks for your quick replies. She weighs about 9 1/2 stone andmust be about 5ft 4in. Have spoken to her old riding instructor who reckons shes ok on her.

many of the niggles you have mentionedcan be overcome / improved so that shouldntbe too much hassle, in the pics she doesnt look too big, just a bit leggy. I rode a 13.2 connemara untill i was 5ft5 and weighed 8 stone and he carried me fine.
It is a very difficult decision you have on your hands.
if i was in your daughters position id prefer to have my pony until i completely grow out of him (to the pointwhere he felt small), that way when my mom mentioned selling him id understand that im far too big and he needs to be enjoyed by another smaller person - which releives the heartbreak.

thats the way id look at it. but its your decision. good luck:)

I'm 5ft 3ish and 9 stone ish (depending on Chinese, wine and cake consumption lol)- I used to share a 13.3hh. I was fine on her and now have my own 14.2hh and I am 30 :eek:

I don't think she is too big - BUT if she wants to jump bigger etc then she may need a bigger pony or to go on to horses. Showing wise I think they do look at complete 'picture' so over time she might lose out too? :confused:

Did I miss how old daughter is? Depends also on how many more growing years she may have I guess. Is there any way you could loan Magic and buy another? That way you might be able to ensure she is in the right home.

God help me if I ever have children, I could imagine ending up with a herd of outgrown ponios that I couldn't bear to sell on :eek:

Last edited:
If they are both happy then I dont see any problem. Im 5ft 10" and rode a 14hh pony in my lesson last week. As long as she is happy to continue to do whats shes doing now then I would leave them be for now.

I'ld say let her have another summer on her that way you have time to find her a bigger replacment..

Personally i think she is fine.
I was riding a 13.3h welshXarab until her owner sold her a couple of months ago. I am 10stone and 5ft6ish and i looked better on her than her owners new 14.3h arabXconnie. the 13.3 could take me no bother!
PIC_0065.jpg

PIC_0076.jpg

PIC_0071.jpg

^^ Me and Smartie - the 13.3h ^^
Excuse her big belly, we were getting her fit at the time

Last edited:
I was in the exact same position about 6 months ago with my daughter and Freddy.

As far as your daughter's weight and height go I am certain that they are still fine together.

But if she wants to start jumping higher then this might be more of a problem.

My daughter is 5'6 and 8 stone and Freddy is a fine 14hh pony with narrow shoulders so from the front she swamps him a little. Balance wise all is well and they still compete a lot together and do well. I came on here just as you have asking for NR advice about what to do and the general opinion was to give her another summer.

Took the advice and it really was the right thing. Jess has had the season to enjoy on him and the time to get used to the idea and prepare himself mentally for it. She has gone from crying everytime it was mentioned to now happily talking about what the best new home for him will be.

It has also given us time to consider what the next move should be for her. Had we sold straight away we would probably have gone for a full up 14.2 but have now realised that the best plan is to get a 15.2. Our YO has found a wonderful mare for us that Jess has been schooling as she is only 5.

So.....my advice would be don't rush into anything. Sow the seed with your daughter that the time will come that she will have to go to a new home, let them do as much as they can together to have fun and let nature take it's course.

I do sympathise as it is so difficult to let such a good friend go. We are 6 months down the line from you and although Freddy is now for sale it is much easier to deal with, especially with a new friend waiting in the wings!!!

Good luck, I'm sure that you will find the decision to suit you and your daughter best. Keep us posted :D

newrider.com